Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    The information I posted in the the other thread is as of August 17. I think the information in this thread is very unlikely. When I see an update on the time frame I will post it. Another note, the most accurate information would probably come from somewhere like HOFO (some cellular company insiders hang out there ), the people at the store don't have any kind of insider information. The position is entry level, do you think they would tell them too many confidential things? Cingular doesn't want their representatives telling customers to hold off buying and wait for xxx. They also don't want bad information to be given.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Cingular Treo is called 800, but don't indulge in fantasy: it will be substantially the same as the 750, wth the lone likely difference being out-of-the-box HSDPA. BUt it will not have WiFi, or Bluetooth 2.0, and certainly not a different form factor. THINK ABOUT IT: We've seen leaked photos of every Treo MONTHS in advance of release. There have been no leaked photos of anything except the 750 and Palm verison, so-called 680. There will be NO Treo releases in the next 6 months that are not substantially identical to these. Stop dreaming about BT 2.0 and WiFi! This generation of Treos are what they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDs10e View Post
    Stop dreaming about BT 2.0 and WiFi! This generation of Treos are what they are.
    (Sniffle. Sob.) No decent BT. No wifi.

(Hello, T-Mobile Dash?)
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    From what the Palm rep said WM5 doesn't support BT 2.0 anyway.
  5.    #25  
    that the rep was probably mistaken with regards the part about the next Cingular Treo being anything other than the Treo 750. Palm has said that Vodaphone's window of exclusivity on the 750 would be very short. I posted the Cingular sales rep's statement about a 'better' Treo, a Treo 800 coming soon, for the interest/irony/humor of it, but some here don't seem to have a sense of interest/irony/humor. Whatever, I guess that can be expected. I did say, "take it with a grain of salt", but people are people, and so expectations should be kept low in these matters.

I think what's might have more truth to it is the timeframe. I've been hoping Cingular would release the 750 in early October, but late October, early November seems even more likely, given the believable rumors that both the WinMob and the PalmOS versions will come out at the same time.

I personally don't expect the next Cingular Treo to be any different than the 750v, but that doesn't keep me from wanting BT 2.0 and WiFi. I realize BT 1.2 is the going stack, and I think WiFi is being kept out because the carriers don't want it in there. They'd rather you burn their minutes and pay them for their hugely inflated messaging and data plans than be able to talk, surf and message for free. My two cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDs10e View Post
    .............it will be substantially the same as the 750, wth the lone likely difference being out-of-the-box HSDPA...........
    HSPDA? Why would Cingular do that? They have only got UMTS in 20 states and about that many major markets. Why sell a phone with features that you do not support?

The 750v does not have HSDPA and Vodafone is much closer to offering it than Cingular is.
    Last edited by whmurray; 09/23/2006 at 10:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    HSPDA? Why would Cingular do that? They have only got UMTS is in 20 states and about that many major markets. Why sell a phone with features that you do not support?
    ...clip...
    So they can say they have it.
    Many people will buy a phone w/ it, over w/o it.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by rexray View Post
    that the rep was probably mistaken with regards the part about the next Cingular Treo being anything other than the Treo 750. Palm has said that Vodaphone's window of exclusivity on the 750 would be very short. I posted the Cingular sales rep's statement about a 'better' Treo, a Treo 800 coming soon, for the interest/irony/humor of it, but some here don't seem to have a sense of interest/irony/humor. Whatever, I guess that can be expected. I did say, "take it with a grain of salt", but people are people, and so expectations should be kept low in these matters.

I think what's might have more truth to it is the timeframe. I've been hoping Cingular would release the 750 in early October, but late October, early November seems even more likely, given the believable rumors that both the WinMob and the PalmOS versions will come out at the same time.

I personally don't expect the next Cingular Treo to be any different than the 750v, but that doesn't keep me from wanting BT 2.0 and WiFi. I realize BT 1.2 is the going stack, and I think WiFi is being kept out because the carriers don't want it in there. They'd rather you burn their minutes and pay them for their hugely inflated messaging and data plans than be able to talk, surf and message for free. My two cents.
    you should play with people's mind like that
  9.    #29  
    The 750v has, according to Palm, UMTS, and is currently upgradable to HSDPA with a software patch when that service is available in your area. This is good news, since HSDPA will eventually be available in the U.S. and one would not want to have to buy a new handset just to get the faster speed.
    Does the HSDPA operate like the Global Satellites like the T-Mobile rep told me?
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell.
    Cingular has hsdpa already. UMTS tops out at 384 kb/sec. Just go to dslreports and see the number of cingular speed tests in the 700, 800 and 900 range, from the htc 8525 being tested on their network. You will also soo many results from the samsung i607, also an hsdpa device currently on their network.

Surur
  12.    #32  
    "Vodaphone's network is not there (upgraded to HSDPA from UMTS) yet, but when it is this device (Treo 750v) is upgradable to the HSDPA, um, software to be able to do that as well."

Listen to the full interview here.

Good news, i'd say.
    Last edited by rexray; 09/22/2006 at 12:52 PM. Reason: fixed error
    Thats another Palm lie. Vodaphone does have hsdpa. Palm is probably the one that is not ready.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    So they can say they have it.
    Many people will buy a phone w/ it, over w/o it.
    I would buy w/o HSDPA but not without UMTS.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    One get the sense that they lie when the truth would do.
    Are you implying they are compulsive liars?

Vodafone First To Offer Customers 3G HSDPA in UK
    20th June , 2006

Europe UK : From Thursday 22 June, customers can purchase a Vodafone Mobile Connect 3G broadband (HSDPA) data card and take advantage of significantly improved data transfer speeds on their laptops.

Greater London (within the M25), Glasgow, Sheffield, Greater Manchester and Tyneside will be the first major UK conurbations to experience 3G broadband with roll out continuing across 3G coverage areas. Full 3G broadband roll out covering Vodafone's entire 3G network is targeted for completion by summer 2007. From Thursday, customers can also roam over Vodafone’s 3G broadband network in six countries (Austria, France, Germany, Portugal, Spain and Hong Kong). More countries will be added as Vodafone’s 3G broadband footprint expands.

Customers in the UK can also purchase laptops exclusively featuring Vodafone’s built-in 3G broadband capability from leading PC manufacturers Dell, Acer and Lenovo. Also available through its usual channel partners is the Vodafone 3G broadband-compatible 3G/UMTS Router, which enables instant group access to networks, email and the Internet. The 3G/UMTS Router also allows additional devices, such as printers, to be connected using Ethernet or 802.11g wireless connections. Further enhanced by 3G broadband, it is designed to be quick and easy to set up providing even higher speed mobile data connectivity for teams working on the move.
    Greater Productivity

The launch of Vodafone’s 3G broadband services represents the next step in the evolution of Vodafone UK’s 3G network. The Vodafone Mobile Connect 3G data card already provides flexibility and increased productivity to 80% of the current business data card market*. This is further boosted by 3G broadband’s improved peak download speeds of around 1.4Mbps and upload speeds of up to 384 Kbps. Vodafone’s 3G broadband also offers up to three times the capacity of 3G, which allows more users in the same location to benefit simultaneously.

Excellent trial results

Vodafone UK’s 3G broadband trials earlier this year** revealed how customers expect it to make a positive difference to their mobile working:- For example, 73% of trialists said they would prefer to use 3G broadband instead of WiFi in the future after experiencing 3G broadband. 85% said they would prefer to use 3G broadband over hotel provided broadband and 87% said they would recommend 3G broadband.

Competitive pricing

Pricing for the service remains consistent with existing Vodafone 3G price plans. Pricing starts from £25 (excl VAT) per month (Data 250), which includes 250 Mb of data. For, £45 (excl VAT) per month (Data Unlimited) customers can benefit from unlimited usage****. Cards cost £99 on the Data 250 price plan and £49 on the Data Unlimited price plan.
    http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/June2006/3240.htm

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Thats another Palm lie. Vodaphone does have hsdpa. Palm is probably the one that is not ready.

Surur
    One gets the sense that they lie when the truth would do.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Are you implying they are compulsive liars?

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/June2006/3240.htm

Surur
    Certainly habitual.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Full 3G broadband roll out covering Vodafone's entire 3G network is targeted for completion by summer 2007
    Does that not agree with what the Palm rep said
    Vodafone is already seling the hsdpa equipped HTC 1605 (HTC Hermes). They are also selling their own laptop card with hsdpa. At the moment they hav 10's of millions of people who could use HSDPA, and now they have to wait to some unspecified time in the future for an update to HSDPA, or they could just buy another device and get it now.

Its not Vodafone that's not ready for HSDPA, it Palm.

Surur
    Palm not ready for HSDPA when others are, yet another surprise.

Or maybe we should just be happy that they can get out a UMTS phone.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast