Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    beginning with the t300, we had a 33mhz dragonball processor.

the t600 had a 144 mhz motorola processor I believe

the 650, and most of the latest in the 700 series use the 312 intel xscale processor.

the 750v has a samsung 300 mhz chip - supposedly faster and easier on the battery.

but why have we stagnated at the 300 - 312 mhz speeds?

is this because media players and mobile browsers haven't been advanced enough to require faster processors?

is it due to the cost factor?

it seems as if intel has stopped innovating in the mobile arena, which could be due to the economic slowdown, the need for downsizing and cutbacks, decreasing profitability, etc.

I'd also guess that the faster the processor the more power hungry it would be, which translates into less battery life.

I just felt by now we'd have a 500 - 624mhz low power consumption processor which would aid in media applications and opening & closing documents and such faster.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    cost and power. Really, battery tech needs to move before making serious advances in processors pans out. Right now, the ceiling is about 620MHz in terms of how high mobile manufacturers are willing to go.

Now of course, manufacturers could be *enterprising* and being to use GPUs and DSPs in order to make the most out of the speed and abilities of mobiles, but that is tricky given the small size of smartphones versus what people want to be able to do with them.

Last note: if an OS is designed *right* then 312Mhz is more than enough speed for all but heavy duty MPG decoding and some processing of web apps. Other than that, it really is enough.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    HP and Dell both have PDA's with 400mhz processors. I think Toshiba had 325 and 350mhz maybe but I don't even know if the make PDAs anymore.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    interesting. a while back, I think there was a report on a japanese company working on a fuel-cell battery for mobile phones.

would that be the next step in battery tech?

I was expecting you might say that 312 mhz is enough for a stable smartphone. it looks like palm is a long ways away from releasing a new os, so I'd assume then we should expect 300-312 mhz in all future treos until ALP is refined, polished and released in a treo?
    HP and Dell both have PDA's with 400mhz processors. I think Toshiba had 325 and 350mhz maybe but I don't even know if the make PDAs anymore.
    Yes, they have PDAs. Devices that do not have a constant wireless connection going and can last the whole day because of that. Smartphones are different, they are not the same as PDAs (no matter how much they use the same OS, have the same batteries, etc. the paradigm is different). For smarthphones, efficiency and usability are key. More power under the hood might make usability easier, but kills efficiency. One has to balance the two rightly to make a successful device.

What Palm has done with 312Mhz is a lot better than what others have done. From the side of the PalmOS, the PalmOS doesnt need more than 300Mhz, its efficient (or deficient if you will look at it that way). WinMobile currently doesnt need more than that if the memory and other subsystem aspects are handled right (see those who are raving about the speed of day to day operatins of teh 700wx versus the ebnchmark numbers). A system designed right is just better. Palm is hedging their bets in a respect, and using what small budget they have (compared to all the larger players) to make efficient decisions, not just more powerful ones.

Fuel cells in mobiles might be a bit more ways away beacue of the recent battery scares. You can bet they will be some tight regs on how they will be used (and where allowed).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    so it looks like we'll be seeing 312mhz from now on, but each successive chip may be developed to use less and less battery power.