Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002 View Post
    I'm betting palm will be purchased by microsoft or HP.

this way, microsoft can make sure windows mobile gains still more marketshare across the smartphone niche, and eventually dominate.

gates has his eye on palm. I think he's just letting them mature as much as they can on their own so as to make the merger more fluid and cost-effective.
    there have been rumors floating around that palm may be up for sale soon. if hp or microsoft do buy palm, i belive it will be for the hardware design. the palm os as old as it is, is no use for anyone (microsoft or hp) and i belive another company owns the OS anyway. what ever you say about palm, like them or hate them, the design of their handhelds is very good, how long that will last with htc out there, who knows. htc is making some awesome desings right now. for 2007 i think we will see new cdma updates for phones. i doubt we will see any gsm update on handsets.
    the 700 was critisized by many, that is why i think sprint waited for the 700wx. the update, maybe 750wx or 780wx hopefully will have wifi and then cdma customers will have the best device out there
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
  2.    #42  
    From the conference call:

Michael Ounjian - Credit Suisse
    Thank you. Ed, as you are looking to get into new markets and really broaden the reach of the product, and at the same time in an, as you mentioned, increasingly competitive environment. How are you thinking about how many new products you will need to introduce each year going forward? I mean, this year, as you have said all year, the four new products. How do you think about that going into next year? Will you need to really expand that significantly? What are the implications for the business model?

Edward T. Colligan

Clearly as the business scales, you know, we hope to have more and more capability to do more things. It may not be just in numbers of products. It may be in how those products work and how we interact with the customers through those products. It may be extending that total mobile computing solution in different directions.

The reality is it is likely that next year, the pace of Smartphones is very similar to what we are doing this year, but we are really trying to invest around our Treos to make them even more compelling and useful and more and more different than everyone else’s. That tends to drive more of a software development effort than it does necessarily device development.

This year we said four new ones mostly because everyone is saying we are a one-product company, and so we wanted to be just very clear that we are expanding that and we are expanding aggressively.

I do not really today want to predict the next number. I would just say a similar pace of development will happen in the next year.
    He's very cagey in his answer. It may be another 4 devices, or just ROM updates to the existing ones.

Surur
    It doesn't make sense for MS and HP to buy Palm. The rumor comes out every ones in a while becuase Palm management holds little stock and has no stronge leadership.

Morotola or some far east handset maker make more sense to me.
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Morotola or some far east handset maker make more sense to me.
    Thats hilarious. Imagine, instead of HP or Dell or Apple buying Palm, its Hon Hai Precision Industry Co, Ltd with $31 billion market cap, $16 billion in revenue and about 1 billion profit/year. Or maybe Asustek and Gigabyte will take a chunk of Palm. Remember Access swooping in to grab PalmSource, Lenovo buying IBM's laptop division, and Hitachi buying IBM's HDD division.

When you put yourself on sale you may very soon lose control over who eventually owns you.

Surur
    It may be in ... how we interact with the customers through those products. It may be extending that total mobile computing solution in different directions.
    That doesn't sound like just a ROM update. That sounds like that third line of business they've been hinting at for a couple years.

It's coming in 2007, and whatever it is involves Linux...
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    That doesn't sound like just a ROM update. .
    But this does...
    That tends to drive more of a software development effort than it does necessarily device development.
    Maybe they will update all the POS Treo's to Linux while keeping the form factor and hardware features the same?

Surur
    Yeah I actually want Asus or Access or Motorola to buy Palm before HP. Just my opinion.
    I don't see them stopping with hardware development, and I don't think he suggests that the hardware side will slow down much if at all. I think the reason he won't predict is that he doesn't know for sure yet how many phones they'll get out the door next year.

At the least, they still have to produce a low-end CDMA phone, whether they call it 680 or something else. And I assume there'll be both Palm and Windows versions. And I'd expect a Palm version of the 750 and a Windows version of the GSM 680.

ROM updates would be nice. If they're improving the OS and the bundled software, it would be a good move to make sure their existing base benefits from it, but they're very restricted in what they can add to the 650, given its limited memory.

It's interesting to think about the software they could be working on. The fact that so many people buy third-party apps to replace bundled apps, and not just supplement them, shows there's plenty of opportunity to improve Palm's proprietary apps.

I don't expect Palm to be acquired anytime soon. They're still growing quickly just fine on their own, and given their mystery new line of business, it's not likely that they'll be able to get a proper valuation from an acquirer.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    From the conference call:

He's very cagey in his answer. It may be another 4 devices, or just ROM updates to the existing ones.

Surur
    wow. he completely danced around the topic. i think he knows that there is nothing new for next year so lets answer the question with another answer. how exactly, in ed's words, will updating handsets with one or two new features a handset. or is he talking about the crap that they are pulling with the 680??? maybe what palm will do for us is introduce a new 760, after having the 750 out for one year, with a new colored case and call that an upgrade
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123