Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MSFT buying Palm? Great, that's all we need!! I'd rather they get bought out by HP! Dell, I guess is OK. Anything BUT MSFT!!

On second thought, MSFT already does own Palm in a way!!
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 09/17/2006 at 11:50 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Out of the companies you listed, Antoine, RIM looks to be the most well-positioned model for palm. Merging the treo's hardware with blackberry reliability and stability would really wow the smartphone market, in my opinion.

I hope it happens.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    RIM would only do it if the ALP licence would pan out better for an email solution staying on top of its game than Symbian. As it stands right now, Symbian is a good bet for RIM as an OS and that makes Palm less likely of a target. Though you are right, it would be great (in some respects) for Palm. Of course, if it were RIM, then we can most def say that PDAs (non cellular ones) are dead, as RIM has no interest in devices that dont get email pushed to them (and wifi cities, or wimax is still years from being a viable area to cater devices just to).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    So, with the CDMA devices the closest, what upgrades can we expect?

Antenna-less? Possible
    Slimmer? - probable, slightly slimmer
    Higher resolution screen - Unlikely
    WIFI - nearly mandatory - what else do they have to add which would be easy.
    Completely different form factor (radically slimmer, slider, suretype keyboard, scroll wheel, no touch screen) - not on the CDMA network probably.
    Bluetooth 2 with A2DP - definite
    Improved camera - definitely- 2 Megapixel likely.

So - any more suggestions? What would the final package look like, and when will it drop?

Surur
    Palm talked about the strategic importance of a low-end phone one year ago, and they still haven't released one, so we're due for one soon. If the fourth Treo of 2006 (the 680?) is not it, I'd expect it to drop 1Q07.

As for future form factors, antennas are going away. No one likes them. The competition doesn't have them. And the Treos don't compete on better reception. Palm was forced to design them out of the Europe models, and I predict they'll eventually carry that over to the CDMA models.

The "natural" evolution of the Treo design will make it slimmer. Multi-function chips, smaller batteries, and newer materials will allow them to make each generation slimmer and lighter. They'll stick with the current width and height, along with their patented curved keyboard.

I figure they started to shoot for a Q-slim design last fall, and by 3Q07, we'll see them come short by shaving just 20% off the thickness of the Treo, which won't be bad since it'll still be the same width. I predict that in an effort to be RAZR/iPod trendy, they'll go with an aluminum face, but they'll stick with the rubber-paint back because it's functional. This sleek model will have a smaller battery.

I definitely see a high-resolution screen coming in future generation Treos. Now that they're implementing wireless broadband, you need a better screen to make use of the bandwidth. If you have a better screen, you'll use more wireless data. Carriers will want that, and so Palm will put it in. In 2007? We'll see. Definitely by 2008 in time for the new Windows and POS models.

I'm not so sure about WiFi. When you're a small company like Palm, you can't be all things to all people. And WiFi means another radio, consumes more power, and adds weight to a shrinking device. It could be introduced in one WM phone, or maybe as an easy add-on.

Bluetooth 2? Yes.

2MP camera? Possible, but I doubt it. The Treo is all about data. And contrary to expectations, people aren't doing much picture messaging with their camera-phones. Palm is unlikely to lead mobile phones in camera quality.

Completely different form factor? I'd LOVE to see Palm innovate again. I'd love to see some CLIE-like form factors. But Palm is no Apple. You can't exactly predict that they'll come up with a totally new and cool design.
  5.    #25  
    http://www.xplore.com.hk/m28_en.jsp

This design is promising for a more diversified Treo from factor.

2 Megapixel cameras are a given, they must be phasing out the 1.3 Megapixel ones by now.

Surur
    680...why back down in the digits?
    at&t iPhone3G
    Surur,

NOTHING is given with Palm.

If you review Ed Colligan's interviews, he constantly repeats the anecdote about how he meets people who claim to love their Treos, and then scrolls through their Treo to find 5 contacts and 3 calendar items with no 3rd party apps.

If the carriers wanr BT2, Palm will add it. If the want 2MP camera, ditto. But unless those things are standard in dumbphones by the time the new Treo releases, I wouldn't give it better than a 50pct chance. Same for WiFi.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I read somewhere last week that data usage in the US is around 13%. I just can't remember where I saw that number.
    In regards to Palm being bought, IFFFFFFFFFF it ever happens which I hope it doesnt but..... if it does my hope would be Apple.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    In regards to Palm being bought, IFFFFFFFFFF it ever happens which I hope it doesnt but..... if it does my hope would be Apple.
    Keep in mind that a lot of Palm shares are owned by the wonderful trio of Hawkins Dubinsky and Colligan. If they want to reamin independent and truly already have more money than they know what to do with, someone would have to really bowl them over with a ridiculous offer to get their votes. Now you might be able to get a majority without them, but it would be a lot easier with their share chunks.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Since we are all guessing here, I will put in my 2 cents as well. I am going to say that we will see a record numbers of palm smartphones in 2007, and not all will be available in the U.S. The number I am thinking is 8.
  12.    #32  
    Palm is not big enough for 8. Some people think 2 is a lot! If they do 8 Treo's, what would they consist of, and how will they get the carriers to sell them? They would have to diversify the line into e.g GPS and music phones etc, and Palm has shown little inclination into breaking the 'magic treo formula'

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    680...why back down in the digits?
    Because it's positioned below the 700?
    I'm still wondering what the Linux engineers they hired last year are up to. And how about that third business line?
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Palm is not big enough for 8. Some people think 2 is a lot! If they do 8 Treo's, what would they consist of, and how will they get the carriers to sell them? They would have to diversify the line into e.g GPS and music phones etc, and Palm has shown little inclination into breaking the 'magic treo formula'

Surur
    I guess only time will tell. By the way, I said 8 smartphones, not 8 treos...it is possible that palm may introduce a new sub-brand for a new line of smartphones.
    Any chance a Palm OS flip phone will reappear?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Keep in mind that a lot of Palm shares are owned by the wonderful trio of Hawkins Dubinsky and Colligan. If they want to reamin independent and truly already have more money than they know what to do with, someone would have to really bowl them over with a ridiculous offer to get their votes. Now you might be able to get a majority without them, but it would be a lot easier with their share chunks.
    Not exactly. According to the latest proxy (as of June 30, 2006), Colligan has 1.2% of outstanding common stock, Dubinsky has 2.3% and Hawkins doesn't make the disclosure list. All current directors and executives as a group (18 persons) own 7.5% [this includes the Colligan and Dubinsky percentages]. There is one institution and one outside individual who have beneficial ownership of more shares than all the directors and executives combined and there are several other institutions each holding more than 5%. Looks like management is outnumbered.
    Since we are speculating, Palm MUST come out with a new high end device next year. To me the 700 and 750 are no more than a stop gap measure. The HTC TyTn and the Hermes are technologically far superior devices and we all know HTC is already planning their next devices. The next Treo must have wifi, more memory, 3G (HSDPA/EVDO Rev A), no antenna, better camera and maintain their form factor ease of use advantage. The latest HTC phones already have it all those features except for the ease of use. Remember, in business, if you don't grow, you die.
    Any chance a Palm OS flip phone will reappear?
    Just the GSL group does PalmOS flip phones. They really arent bad either. But they do need more internal RAM.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    Amid all this speculation, I would be perfectly happy to see the 700p have all the little app glitches resolved and a substantial price break. I would then commit to owning one for a good five years. Its all the unit I need. Until then, I will slog along with my Sprint 650.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty

palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast