1.    #1  
    ...to a bouncing, baby Treo 700. I've been using Palms for years, and my TungstenC just gave up the ghost; so I convinced the Wife-unit to let me get it!
    I'll be going with Sprint (First Cell-phone, too...what a Luddite I am!)
    Before I buy, I'm hoping for some feedback on some questions.

-First, if I switched to the Windows OS, can I port over all my address data, etc? (I'm still leaning towards the 700P, but I thought I'd ask...)

-Can I update my Desktop interface software for the 700 (from the Palm 4.1.4 version) without losing my old data?

-There are some programs that were on my Tungsten; that I really don't need anymore (old games, etc)...is there any way to delete them from the Desktop updater; so they *don't* load on my new Treo?

-Next; I've been reading some of the Forums; and the multitude of software you guys are throwing around is, frankly, *very* confusing. What I plan to do with the unit:
    I use the Address book a *lot* for my work; as a reference.
    I will be putting a lot of music on it.
    I play games.
    I use some personal databases (wine guides, etc)
    I'd like to do some more E-book stuff.
    As to Connectivity; I'd like to occasionally check my E-mail (will *usually* use my home PC), maybe an occasional Internet search or location search, eventually get a navigation system (was looking at the TomTom system.)
    With regard to this, What software should I look at, first-and-most-importantly? What should I avoid, and what is useless?

Thanks for putting up with a nervous, longwinded new father!
    Last edited by Biomedguy; 09/15/2006 at 09:26 AM.
    Will you be having a treo shower or a baby shower.
  3.    #3  
    I just thought we'd have a small Pastafarian baptism ceremony, annointing it with a little marinara sauce on it's back, away from the camera lens...
    (Confused? go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster )
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    - Robert Heinlein
    Upgrade will overlay existing Palm Desktop and retain PIM data. Be sure to turn off ALL other apps, especially firewall, antivirus and hotsync (in system tray) when running the install.

Rename C:\Palm\[truncated hotsync name]\Backup to OldBackup after final TC hotsync and before install. This will prevent installation of third-party apps and TC system/preferences files from TC RAM onto 700p. You can QuickInstall apps from the OldBackup folder later.

As to third-party apps, there are sticky threads in the 700p forum that will help.
    aww man I thought you were serious.
  6.    #6  
    Umm, well...I *was* serious about the questions! (the baptism all depends on whether my wife will wear an eyepatch...*S*)
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    - Robert Heinlein