Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    any official reliable info ?
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
    No official information on the unlocked GSM 750 and when/if we will get one.

Gotta figger there will be one, though.

Rumor and speculation are your friends. Completely unreliable of course but at least your attention will be diverted from reality and then one day, there on Palm.com, you'll see your 750 for sale.

I want one. Why don't you start the rumor and I'll pass it on with an embellishment?
    I think the important thing for all to remember is; if you hear anything, start a new thread. If you want to know anything, start a new thread. If you don't care either way, start a new thread and tell us about it.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I think the important thing for all to remember is; if you hear anything, start a new thread. If you want to know anything, start a new thread. If you don't care either way, start a new thread and tell us about it.

Stated in terms that a logic professor would understand, this means:

If X (being any event that has ever occurred, will occur, will not occur, can be imagined, or is completely outside the realm of human comprehension) ---> start a thread and mention burritos in it.
    there will be one.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    No official information on the unlocked GSM 750 and when/if we will get one.

Gotta figger there will be one, though.
    The 680 could well be sold from day 1 as an unlocked device, in which case I'd expect it to be available before Vodaphone's exclusive on the 750 is up.

Or do I mean "I hope...."
    think the normal release cycle for Palm, then know a new Treo (possibly 2) will be announced.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    The 680 could well be sold from day 1 as an unlocked device, in which case I'd expect it to be available before Vodaphone's exclusive on the 750 is up.

Or do I mean "I hope...."
    ls3mach, who I believe claims to be a Cingular insider, posted a while back that Cingular would have a lifetime exclusive on the 680.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDs10e View Post
    ls3mach, who I believe claims to be a Cingular insider, posted a while back that Cingular would have a lifetime exclusive on the 680.
    I'm not in the US
    I hope Palm is smart enough not to release the 680 with an exclusivity to a carrier. If Palm really wants to sell these devices to corporations they cannot make it a prerequesit that they switch carrier.

PalmOS is no longer the preferred OS of consumers. Those that do buy a PalmOS device do so because they need to run existing Palm applications. There is a large amount of quality software for Palm, probably still more than on PocketPC. It is mostly corporations and professionals that are hooked on the legacy Palm apps.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by u_m_rasmussen View Post
    I hope Palm is smart enough not to release the 680 with an exclusivity to a carrier. If Palm really wants to sell these devices to corporations they cannot make it a prerequesit that they switch carrier.
    Agreed. It's a very short sighted policy that wins Palm some free marketing, but loses, at least for a while, the majority of the available marketplace.
    PalmOS is no longer the preferred OS of consumers. Those that do buy a PalmOS device do so because they need to run existing Palm applications. There is a large amount of quality software for Palm, probably still more than on PocketPC. It is mostly corporations and professionals that are hooked on the legacy Palm apps.
    Well this consumer prefers PalmOS! It's much easier to use, especially one-handed, more stable, faster, allows more to be done with the same amount of memory and there are many more applications available. Oh, and you're not tied to Outlook. The only down-side is multi-tasking.
    If Microsoft started producing pda/phones, do you think they would put a palm os on it?
    I know, they're sw. But isn't ironic?
    Who is putting POS on their phones? Even Palm runs Windows.
    If palm has an ace up their sleeve, they had better hurry up and pull it out.
    Just call me Berd.
  13.    #13  
    Why is Palm is secretive on the development? I've had 650 for 2+ years. I want to get a better one from Palm or other.
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
  14.    #14  
    Why is Palm is secretive on the development? I've had 650 for 2+ years. I want to get a better one from Palm or other.
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
  15.    #15  
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
  16.    #16  
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
    Everybody is asking the same question, sometimes more than three times

Surur
    Agreed. It's a very short sighted policy that wins Palm some free marketing, but loses, at least for a while, the majority of the available marketplace.
    understand that if palm release a phone on their own, they have to provide support for it. which cost them money. if the carrier releases it, most of the support calls go to the carrier.

also, if they release an unlocked unbranded phone, their current carrier patners may get upset. unless, of course their patners has some time to sell the phone themselves.

so, i dont expect palm to release a phone that doesnt have a carrier backing it. and to not release a gsm phone until cingular had it for a couple of months.

this sucks for me because Im on tmo with no plans to move.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    also, if they release an unlocked unbranded phone, their current carrier patners may get upset. unless, of course their patners has some time to sell the phone themselves.
    But they're doing that anyway in the UK by switching carrier from Orange to Vodaphone.

It looks more like Palm has lost the will to decide it's own direction, and is releasing whatever the carriers ask them for (e.g., 700wx).
    Tirk;
    Palm doesnt make treos for you and I, they make them for carriers. That is the truth, just breathe it in for a bit ok.

There is not a "switching" of Orange to Voda, Voda payed up, and Palm said yes. If Orange would have asked for something more than a 650, Palm would have done it, or if they did ask more, they wouldnt foot part of the bill to making it happen.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast