Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm with you Felipe. I'm on T-Mobile, with no plans to move. I am still on a (thankfully) fully working T600, and all I ask for is an unlocked GSM POS or ALP Treo equipped for high-speed data transmission, which both Cingular and T-Mo are supposed to have by the end of 2006, perhaps not in all locations, but eventually. Why is this so difficult to achieve? There must be THOUSANDS of people who want one - on GSM carriers all over the world! Why is Palm dragging their a** on this?

Andrew
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Tirk;
    Palm doesnt make treos for you and I, they make them for carriers
    Depressing but true, I know. However, I think that's real short-term thinking for Palm. Palm should understand the POS phone business better than companies like Vodaphone, who've never dealt with them up to now, and who's main business is selling dumb phones.
    Palm is definitely trying hard to “partner” with the telephone carriers - more so than any other smartphone manufacturer. The HP, Zaurus and even Nokia smartphones have all been sold unlocked before they ever made carrier customized versions. HP and Sharp don’t make carrier customized versions and although Nokia sometimes does for their smartphones, it is always possible to buy an unlocked version and mostly before the carrier puts them in their catalogue.

If one is to speculate on the Palm’s motives on becoming strong carrier partners, I doubt it is to save having to do support directly to customers. Palm has pretty much avoided that by only allowing one free support call on unlocked Treos and requiring people to register their support voucher before giving out the support phone number. I for one never managed to get a support voucher for my Treo 270 so I couldn’t call Palm tech support when I needed it.

However, palm’s partnership with carriers allow them to join forces and money for joint marketing purposes. It is as though Palm believes that the secret sauce to obtain an important market share of the smartphone business is having as large marketing budgets as possible.

It is true that Palm has a much smaller marketing capacity than say HP and Nokia and the partnerships with carriers allows Palm to balance that, but personally I doubt that it is marketing dollars that will create winners in smartphone market. It simply is not a commoditized market as for example soft drinks, but instead is very innovative and the winner will likely be the product that provides the best functionality. Price is also an important factor as smartphones cost as much as full size PCs these days.
  4.    #24  
    next WW GSM Treo should support 3G. anyone knows Cingular UMTS status?
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
    Quote Originally Posted by Playcentric View Post
    I've had 650 for 2+ years. I want to get a better one from Palm or other.
    You can't possible have 650 over 2+ years. I got mine on the first day of intro and my 2 year contract is not up yet, but it does feel like forever.
    I know everyone wants 3G for GSM, myself included, but considering there was just a huge auction for AWS, wouldn't be a big possibility that a large part of the delay with 3g phones be based on the issue that the frequencies that will be needed aren't even up and running yet?

I honestly don't think we'll see any 3g on GSM until ALP comes out, whenever that may be.

My hope is that PALm will prove me wrong!
    Trust me, I'm a producer.
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    The 680 could well be sold from day 1 as an unlocked device, in which case I'd expect it to be available before Vodaphone's exclusive on the 750 is up.

Or do I mean "I hope...."
    Have you been talking to Perry?
    next WW GSM Treo should support 3G. anyone knows Cingular UMTS status?
    20 cities and 40 small towns compared to 210 major markets for EV-DO.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Have you been talking to Perry?
    I guess it's just that I am a Palm PDA person who added phone functionality, rather than someone who bought a smart phone. I don't want to lose the stuff I've got with PalmOS just to get a new phone...I'd rather go back to a separate PDA & phone thank you.

Though it is kind of pink in here, now I think about it...
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    I guess it's just that I am a Palm PDA person who added phone functionality, rather than someone who bought a smart phone. I don't want to lose the stuff I've got with PalmOS just to get a new phone...I'd rather go back to a separate PDA & phone thank you.

Though it is kind of pink in here, now I think about it...
    That seems so obvious to me that I do not understand that Palm cannot get that they are a PDA company with PDA customers.
    PDA customers are so small of a market that it makes no sense to go after them when the mobile phone market is 2.5 BILLION people and growing.

Wouldnt you go to where the people were, and try to move the people that you have to where you are going
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by u_m_rasmussen View Post
    I hope Palm is smart enough not to release the 680 with an exclusivity to a carrier. If Palm really wants to sell these devices to corporations they cannot make it a prerequesit that they switch carrier.

PalmOS is no longer the preferred OS of consumers. Those that do buy a PalmOS device do so because they need to run existing Palm applications. There is a large amount of quality software for Palm, probably still more than on PocketPC. It is mostly corporations and professionals that are hooked on the legacy Palm apps.
    I too hope that they do not do that.

That said, some of us are more loyal to POS than to Palm. I am one of those. If I have to leave POS, for example as the only way to get an unlocked UMTS phone, I will no longer be a Palm customer.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    I too hope that they do not do that.

That said, some of us are more loyal to POS than to Palm. I am one of those. If I have to leave POS, for example as the only way to get an unlocked UMTS phone, I will no longer be a Palm customer.
    And for me it's not either/or.
    It's whatever gets released first and looks halfway decent.
    Just call me Berd.
    PDA customers are so small of a market that it makes no sense to go after them when the mobile phone market is 2.5 BILLION people and growing.

Wouldnt you go to where the people were, and try to move the people that you have to where you are going
    Yes, and I remember when the PC market, and for that matter, the cell phone market, were tiny. I remember when the Palm and Palm were novelties. Palm will never compete with Nokia and Motorola for the phone market but can still dominate the PDA and smartphone markets.
    Why is Palm is secretive on the development? I've had 650 for 2+ years. I want to get a better one from Palm or other.
    Its a game. They have been playing it for so long, they think it is real life.
    think the normal release cycle for Palm, then know a new Treo (possibly 2) will be announced.
    There is nothing "normal" about the Palm release cycle. I can think of all kinds of words to describe the Palm release cycle but normal is certainly not one of them. One should never try to predict Palm.

[I was once one of the tens to hundreds of people who had to sign off on an IBM release; we were much more orderly and predictable than Palm.]
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts

By that argument Palm should give up on phones too and make underpants, as that's an even bigger market.

Palm can make money out of selling functional and easy to use PDA/Phones, because they are good at it. Can they make money out of competing with Nokia??
    Palm can make money out of selling functional and easy to use PDA/Phones, because they are good at it. Can they make money out of competing with Nokia??
    I and you both agree that they can. Will they make the effort to is another story. Or rather, have they made the effort and we have not yet seen it is a more valid (to palm) question to ask.

By that argument Palm should give up on phones too and make underpants, as that's an even bigger market.
    Nah, they would remove the flap for us guys because it's not zen enough but the experience of pulling them up and down would have FTL beat by a mile.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  19.    #39  
    Now there is a Cingular Treo 800 for Oc release thread today. Hope it's real
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12