Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    146 0.855s (600k) mycingular.net Palm680/RC1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D053; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0

The above may be meaningless to most readers, but for those in the know its a clear sign that the Nitro is coming! The above is an excerpt from the daily list of devices using the DslReports Mobile Speed Test. It represents the device browser User Agent Strings, and tells us quite a bit about the device. By comparison this is a speed test from the Treo 700p on Verison.

398 0.687s (600k) myvzw.com Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320

We can see the Treo 680 is using the same version of Blazer as the 700p, its on the Cingular network, and the speed is in the range consistent with EDGE (vs the much faster 398 kb/sec of the 3G Treo 700p). We can see that the device, despite being rumored to be low end, still retains the 320x320 screen so much loved by PalmOS Treo users. IF RC1 means the same it usually does, it should imply Release Candidate 1, meaning the device is close to being ready for release.

If the above appears to be like reading tea leaves, rest assured that the short version is that the Treo 680 exists, and will be here soon!
    http://www.clieuk.co.uk/index.shtml

Surur
    hah! very cool, a slim, antennaless low end Treo with about as much power as the 700p (screen shots have showed 64MB available for program storage), very impressive.

Here are a few reported shortcomings:
    1200mah Battery (compared to 1800mah on 700p)
    .3 Megapixel Camera (equal to 650, but far less than 1.3Megapix)
    No high speed 3G internet chipset.

I wonder just how much lower they're going to price the device, seeing how similar it is compared to its very expensive older brother.

I'm thinking we're going to see a Motorola Q type strategy on this one: low cost with service activation. Try finding the Q on ebay, it retails for upwords of twice its 200 dollar subsidized price.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Why would a gsm 650 user update to this device? Whats the difference besides "no antenna" and more memory?
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Why would a gsm 650 user update to this device? Whats the difference besides "no antenna" and more memory?
    If it is slimmer, that might push some users to it. I would imagine that it would be marketed more at new users rather than existing 650 owners.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Why would a gsm 650 user update to this device?
    They probably wouldn't, but then that's not the market Palm are after
    I like the 700p blazer more than the 650 blazer, that's your insentive. Probaly orb/wma streaming will work too. Basically minor enhancement. Kind of like win98->winME.

If the name is 680, it probably won't have 3G.

Did the test data of the 750 Treo showed up on this site too? If it did, when was it?
    LOL, I just check dslreport, it also has this:

100 0.955s (600k) mycingular.net Palm750/v0000 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320)
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    LOL, I just check dslreport, it also has this:
    Apparently the 700w also reports like that, so it doesn't mean much.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    If it is slimmer, that might push some users to it. I would imagine that it would be marketed more at new users rather than existing 650 owners.
    I agree....plus it is much cheaper when compared to the price at 650's initial launch.
    This GSM user will be updating to this because he is still on a 600. I wish I had the money to throw at a new model every 8-12 months, but grad student stipends barely pay the bills.

I, for one, can't wait for this model to come out. Palm OS does everything I need plus a bit more, and if it does so for cheaper, bring it on.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    146 0.855s (600k) mycingular.net Palm680/RC1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D053; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0
    D053 will also be the 680's device id. The 700p is D052 and I think the 650 is D051.
    Err.. isn't it incredibly simple to change how your browser identifies itself (and further the device).

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode View Post
    Err.. isn't it incredibly simple to change how your browser identifies itself (and further the device).
    On desktops I know its not too hard with certain browsers (Opera, Firefox). Not sure about how easy it is with mobile browsers though. Your point is well taken though because it can be spoofed.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode View Post
    but why would one do that?

Surur
    OT, but I have bookmarked your website.
    The more tech sites on my list, the better!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    OT, but I have bookmarked your website.
    The more tech sites on my list, the better!
    If thats directed at me, thanks, but I only write for them. PDA247 has been around for ages and cover all the mobile OS's (except Linux). I do a lot of the WM stuff, but not all of it. Its nice to have a productive outlet for ones interest.

I can guarantee that if you subscribe to the RSS feed you will not miss any important WM news

Surur
    How heavy does it cover Symbian?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  18.    #18  
    Its UK based, and Shaun has a E62, but the site started at a POS site many years ago, so the majority of the readership is still POS orientated (70%). Like Palm they are moving with the times and have diversified a few years ago.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Basically minor enhancement. Kind of like win98->winME.
    I think the general trend with all these latest Palm devices is evidence of them trying to grow market share and broaden their appeal... which is good. But they're leaving the installed based more or less out in the cold. I suspect many of us are waiting for the Win98 -> Windows 2000 upgrade. And, ironically enough, the memory protection and multiprocessing that came in that upgrade path is very much what I'm hoping to see from ALP.

For now, I'm just in a holding pattern until ALP makes it's debut and see whether it can stand up to WM and/or Symbian -- thought the latter isn't so much PDA fodder as smartphone.
    The 680 may well be the exact same casing and form-factor as the 700v, as they both are antenna-less and have a 1200mAH battey.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast