Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Both my Treo 700p and 650 have not crashed in over a week!

Yay!

FYI - ##377# reveals:

T650 - 9/2/06 at 5:18pm while running "Phone": Fatal exception
    700p - 9/3/06 at 1:41pm while running "Bluetooth": Fatal exception.

And yes, I have been using them pretty heavily.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    what's your secret to success?
    I was having this same issue with "phone" crashing everyday. Very random. Sometimes it would be when I get a phone call or sometimes when I get a text. Below is how I fixed mine. I've been reset free for 3 days. See post #26.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=120029&page=2
    Proper memory management with updated programs = stability on both the 650 and the 700p. Ben
    My 700p rarely crashes. I think bclinger hit it on the nose concerning stability.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    All I need to do is run Blazer and Xiino in close succession or have pTunes going in the background while switching between several programs and the p goes kaput. I have te latest versions of all programs, have LOTS of programs on the SD and have 42+MB free. So I'm glad it's working for some, but the key to stability is not that simple IMO, specially if you have a lot of apps.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  7.    #7  
    Well, folks, my 700p almost made it from 9/2 thru 9/11 without a crash, but....

9/11/06 at 11:28pm while running "Initiate": Fatal Exception.

That's purty darn good. Crash was apparently caused by Initiate v2.72 (registered full version).

Not a bad run, though.

Secret to success: Once I start getting close to a crash a day, I will do 3 things, in this order:

1. Remove or update any recently added programs that may be the culprit.

2. Remove all "corrupt" videos/pictures from the internal picture database and also the SD card. These have been known to cause problems.

3. As a last resort, rename Saved_preferences using FileZ then soft reset, and re-enter all registration info (about 10 registered programs). Also have to reenter some of the preferences for the device and programs. Takes all of about 15 minutes but after doing this, it can go several days to over a week without a crash.

Note on #3: I recently read that there is a way to perform a system reset. You might try this before doing #3 (it might solve your problem). Go to palm.com and search for "system reset" to find out how to perform this type of reset.

Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    All I need to do is run Blazer and Xiino in close succession or have pTunes going in the background while switching between several programs and the p goes kaput. I have te latest versions of all programs, have LOTS of programs on the SD and have 42+MB free. So I'm glad it's working for some, but the key to stability is not that simple IMO, specially if you have a lot of apps.
    If you clear out the cache in Xiino before going to Blazer, the 700p will not crash. I'm not sure how to do the equivalent in PTunes or if it even can be done. I have the same situation here by the way. I also set Blazer to clear it's cache on exit (this also helps a lot). Or you can clear it manually. Xiino allows you to even clear specific pages. Other programs like On Demand which build up cache will crash the Treo when going into Blazer (don't know but it's usually Blazer which crashes the Treo). After using On Demand or similar program for an extended period, I just do a software reset. This keeps my 700p *fairly* stable (I have almost 60 programs in it).

Hope this helps a bit.
    Good memory management also means keeping an eye on the db cache - when it gets low, the Treo will crash. In addition, thru the use of a few utilities, you can also "lock" specific applications into memory - note applications, not their related databases. Take a look at Resco Lock or Resco Backup, they both address locking of applications.

Butler also has a feature that looks for "rogue" entries in the db cache.

As far as applications, I have 37.2mb available and use it hours a day with HanDBase and ChatterEmail as the most used with a couple of others in their for fun. I also use 2Day, Datebook6, Documents to Go, et cetera - no problems at all due to "proper memory management."

There are a number of threads about it here.

Ben

For the preferences thing, I use Preference Doctor with all three options enabled. When a new program is installed, I run it through the paces and after it passes, I then do a 'save preferences" from Preference Doctor."

All pictures are placed on the SD card from within the camera application - doing that saves the chewing up of memory.

There is a utility called "On Guard" by Northglide - it is designed to backup user designated applications (optional) and their related databases (automagically). It makes recovery of programs and especially data much easier.

Anyway, the file system used by the 650/700 series is a pain. Really a pain. It requires a bit of effort to gain a degree of stability that many users need that others do not see and that may be because of the type of applications being used. Memory hungry, intensive programs chew up the memory the system has to work with and that is not necessarily the memory listed as "free memory." Take a look at the db cache using one of the two apps designed to do so - I use MemoryInfo. The db cache is the memory area that gets messed with. If you do a memory backup, the db cache gets trashed and cause problems. Taking the time to occasionally check the db cache and clearing it as needed will increase reliability, as will locking some applications into memory (locking them into memory may also increase their opening speed). And another thing, if you have an application that crashes a lot, let the developer know.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    Well, folks, my 700p almost made it from 9/2 thru 9/11 without a crash, but....

9/11/06 at 11:28pm while running "Initiate": Fatal Exception.

That's purty darn good. Crash was apparently caused by Initiate v2.72 (registered full version).

Not a bad run, though.

Secret to success: Once I start getting close to a crash a day, I will do 3 things, in this order:

1. Remove or update any recently added programs that may be the culprit.

2. Remove all "corrupt" videos/pictures from the internal picture database and also the SD card. These have been known to cause problems.

3. As a last resort, rename Saved_preferences using FileZ then soft reset, and re-enter all registration info (about 10 registered programs). Also have to reenter some of the preferences for the device and programs. Takes all of about 15 minutes but after doing this, it can go several days to over a week without a crash.

Note on #3: I recently read that there is a way to perform a system reset. You might try this before doing #3 (it might solve your problem). Go to palm.com and search for "system reset" to find out how to perform this type of reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Good memory management also means keeping an eye on the db cache - when it gets low, the Treo will crash. In addition, thru the use of a few utilities, you can also "lock" specific applications into memory - note applications, not their related databases. Take a look at Resco Lock or Resco Backup, they both address locking of applications.

Butler also has a feature that looks for "rogue" entries in the db cache.

As far as applications, I have 37.2mb available and use it hours a day with HanDBase and ChatterEmail as the most used with a couple of others in their for fun. I also use 2Day, Datebook6, Documents to Go, et cetera - no problems at all due to "proper memory management."

There are a number of threads about it here.

Ben
    I'm familiar with all the threads and the DBCache management. Still, when switching from Blazer to Xiino in quick succession with both apps having 2-3MB caches, the p stalls or crashes (even with 9MB dbcache free before starting blazer). When switching between lots of apps with pTunes running in the background, it stalls or crashes. I don't think it's fair to say that all issues are user error or bad apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    If you clear out the cache in Xiino before going to Blazer, the 700p will not crash. I'm not sure how to do the equivalent in PTunes or if it even can be done. I have the same situation here by the way. I also set Blazer to clear it's cache on exit (this also helps a lot). Or you can clear it manually. Xiino allows you to even clear specific pages. Other programs like On Demand which build up cache will crash the Treo when going into Blazer (don't know but it's usually Blazer which crashes the Treo). After using On Demand or similar program for an extended period, I just do a software reset. This keeps my 700p *fairly* stable (I have almost 60 programs in it).

Hope this helps a bit.
    Yes, soft resets and clearing Xiino or Blazer caches does help. But I wouldn't consider soft resets an acceptable solution for stability.

As far as clearing Xiino's cache, the great thing about Xiino is that it saves your last few pages. I'd hate to lose this.
    Yes, soft resets and clearing Xiino or Blazer caches does help. But I wouldn't consider soft resets an acceptable solution for stability.

As far as clearing Xiino's cache, the great thing about Xiino is that it saves your last few pages. I'd hate to lose this.
    skfny, quite right! A machine which needs to be reset constantly cannot be called stable. What I'm saying is that I'd rather do a soft reset from, say LauncherX after a bout with Xiino, than have Blazer do the reset for me in the form of a crash. Blazer or another program might get nicked in one of those! I try to find middle ground by leaving a couple of pages open in Xiino and selectively closing the rest if I need to (but, yes, that is a lot of trouble and it is a only a maneuver for special occations ) Until we get the firmware update (I hate to say: *if* we get the firmware update), it just seems I have to live with these inconveniences. It's not so bad really, and despite it's drawbacks, I really appreciate the "p."

If I could find a utility like MemoryInfo that clears the cache when I want it to, that would make things a little more comfortable. However, it was written for the 650, and when I use it to clear cache, it resets the 700p. I have heard of it setting off an infinite loop here as well. The author warns that it was written only with the 650 in mind. It can also show detailed memory info which I like, but I'm not yet familiar with the meaning of those numbers. The program dbCache (I believe that's it) may be a solution, but I'm not sure it can be controlled, and it remains a bit of an unkown to me.

I'm going to go back now and re-read Ben's posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxWave View Post
    I don't believe!
  15.    #16  
    No doubt that keeping the memory as free as possible is a key factor. Treos do crash more often when total free memory is lower. I have 5MB free total memory on my 650 and over 10MB free on my 700p (usually much more).

Treo 650's last crash date is still 9/2/06, and I have been using it consistently every day. I'm not running any of those memory programs such as RescoLock...But it might be interesting to note that I am running a couple programs that many consider to be crash-prone, namely VeriChat and CallFilter. No problems since before Labor Day!

Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    For the preferences thing, I use Preference Doctor with all three options enabled. When a new program is installed, I run it through the paces and after it passes, I then do a 'save preferences" from Preference Doctor."

All pictures are placed on the SD card from within the camera application - doing that saves the chewing up of memory.

There is a utility called "On Guard" by Northglide - it is designed to backup user designated applications (optional) and their related databases (automagically). It makes recovery of programs and especially data much easier.

Anyway, the file system used by the 650/700 series is a pain. Really a pain. It requires a bit of effort to gain a degree of stability that many users need that others do not see and that may be because of the type of applications being used. Memory hungry, intensive programs chew up the memory the system has to work with and that is not necessarily the memory listed as "free memory." Take a look at the db cache using one of the two apps designed to do so - I use MemoryInfo. The db cache is the memory area that gets messed with. If you do a memory backup, the db cache gets trashed and cause problems. Taking the time to occasionally check the db cache and clearing it as needed will increase reliability, as will locking some applications into memory (locking them into memory may also increase their opening speed). And another thing, if you have an application that crashes a lot, let the developer know.

Ben
    Ben,

Thanks for your notes. What app is there that will clear the cache on the p? I've read the memoryinfo resets the device (so in a way it does work ), and my dbcachetool doesn't work either (I press clear and nothing happens).
  17.    #18  
    It's now 9/21 and my Treo 650, my primary phone (I use all the time), has yet to crash since 9/2.

That's a day shy of THREE FULL WEEKS!

And that is also using such apps as Call Filter, Butler, Initiate, and VeriChat!

Perhaps I'm pressing my luck here, but WOW! I'm sure it's a new personal record.

One thing of note, though, is that since I bought my Treo700p, I have RARELY used PocketTunes on the 650. My Treo 700p has crashed about 4 times since 9/2, and I have been using PocketTunes regularly. Could there be a connection???? And yes, my 700p has all the apps that are on my 650.

18.    #19  
    Well, I shouldn't have spoken up! Treo650 crashed just hours after making that last post....here it is:

"A reset was caused on 9/21/06 at 3:09pm while running "Initiate":
    Fatal Exception.

Oh well, previous crash was 9/2. That's darn near 3 weeks of moderate-and-higher use. Not bad! My 700p crashes about 1-2 times a week running the exact same apps, the only difference is I moved SnapperMail from my 650 to 700p and use the email more often on the 700p. I also watch streaming videos and streaming audio a couple times a week on the 700p. Make more calls from the 650, tho.

Discounting the crashes I had with Datebook 6, which were ultimately due to an indexing problem with the birthday index, no problems at all. I have a soft reset scheduled as part of the nightly backup with Resco Backup. Reliability in my situation has really been excellent, though I still take memory management and data backup seriously. I would hate to loose hours of work when the prevention is there.

Ben
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast