View Poll Results: Are the connectors for the Treo 650 and 700 junk?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • My Treo 650/700 never loses contact.

14 30.43%
  • My Treo 650/700 loses contact.

32 69.57%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by notjpr View Post
    You can blame palm.

The receptor dictates the type of extension needed so Palm should use a receptor that would allow a solid extension. A receptor less than 1/4 inch deep that does not lock into place is a bad idea.
    Sorry, but if Palm built cables work fine (which mine do) and Seidio (or Boxwave) cables don't, the problem lies with the cheapo 3rd party crap, not Palm.

FWIW, though, I agree the Palm connectors are stupid. A simple USB connector would be cheaper and more reliable, as would a standard round barrell connector for the power connection. But look around you---how many devices use a non-proprietary connector? Not many. Ipods, other brands of MP3 players, phones: most manufacturers want to try to lock you into their accessories, or to make money by licensing their connector to others.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Ueh. The point is we want a more reliable connector, not a non-proprietary one. I much rather have a iPod style connector than a mini-USB connector.

In fact I rather they do away with wired connector and leave the power plug (and maybe a 3.5mm jack) only.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Sorry, but if Palm built cables work fine (which mine do) and Seidio (or Boxwave) cables don't, the problem lies with the cheapo 3rd party crap, not Palm.

FWIW, though, I agree the Palm connectors are stupid. A simple USB connector would be cheaper and more reliable, as would a standard round barrell connector for the power connection. But look around you---how many devices use a non-proprietary connector? Not many. Ipods, other brands of MP3 players, phones: most manufacturers want to try to lock you into their accessories, or to make money by licensing their connector to others.
    I haven't tried any other connectors other than palm. I cant comment on their quality. I have bought a desktop charger, called palm 2 times for new sync cables and bought 1 car charger. All were made by palm. I have thrown away 2 110 chargers and I give up on the car charger. My wife has a 3rd party charger that lasted maybe 6 months, same as my palm car charger. It doesn't seem to relate to whether its 3rd party or not.

Its not just palm, I know. Most phones I've used had cheap connectors. The only car charger that I have had that worked perfect for a whole year was the mini USB for my 6700.

This is a minor issue for me since my wx is so close to perfect. I've been complaining on these boards for 4 years about the long wait for a new clamshell to replace the awesome form of the Samsung I500 and Kyocera 7135,,,,,, but the wx has satisfied all my needs.
    Yes my palm connection is awful. If I move the phone even a small amount during a hotsync, it loses it's connection. Shocking design.

I previously had a Sony Clie NX73V and the connector on that was superb.

How hard can it be to get this little thing right!? Companies have been making good connectors for equipment since way before I was born, and way before Palm existed....
    Lido
    Treo 650, UK
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12