1.    #1  
    I got my 600 GSM through T-Mobile about two years ago. I'm going to Italy in a couple of weeks for my honeymoon, and I'd rather not pay $.99/min for calls. Can I just buy a SIM card when I get there and pop it in and go? I assume my phone will need to be unlocked for this to work...how do I know if mine is unlocked? There is no T-Mobile logo on the phone if this offers any clues. Thanks!
    the only way to know if the phone is unlocked is to try a non t-mobile sim.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I went to Switzerland with my 650 on T-Mo and just used it. Voice and data. Unless you need to do some serious yabbering on the phone to some third party (prolly not necessary as you're on your honeymoon!!!) you won't run up that big of a bill, even though they charge you about $12,449/byte for data.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    the only way to know if the phone is unlocked is to try a non t-mobile sim.
    Will a Sprint SIM work?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    I went to Switzerland with my 650 on T-Mo and just used it. Voice and data. Unless you need to do some serious yabbering on the phone to some third party (prolly not necessary as you're on your honeymoon!!!) you won't run up that big of a bill, even though they charge you about $12,449/byte for data.
    I will be making a fair number of calls within Italy to Italian friends while I'm there. Seeing as these will be 'local' calls, it seems that a SIM that connects to an Italian service rather than T-mobile would be much cheaper...
    Quote Originally Posted by innocenti View Post
    I will be making a fair number of calls within Italy to Italian friends while I'm there. Seeing as these will be 'local' calls, it seems that a SIM that connects to an Italian service rather than T-mobile would be much cheaper...
    Yes, a local SIM would definitely be cheaper. When I was in Italy recently I saw that prepaid SIM cards were for sale all over the place. Or I know there are websites online where you can buy one before you go.

I have a friend that comes to Los Angeles regularly from his home country and carries his home mobile with him. It means that I have to call way over to heck and gone to at great expense to talk to him when he's just 1 mile away from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by innocenti View Post
    Will a Sprint SIM work?
    sprint in the U.S. is cdma, i font think they use sims. But if they have a GSM service somewhere, then the sim should work in an unlocked phone.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.