Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is similar to the "Walking Around Carrying Your Treo" thread, but it deserves a thread and discussion of it's own.

Last night was a rare night for me, out on the town without my girlfriend. I went to the swank martini bar across the street where I know the staff well, I sat down and ordered an after work cocktail. I laid my Treo on the bar in front of me. There were several other people at the bar and at one point, everyone had their phones out, either in their hands, or laying on the bar. There was some banter between patrons - most seemingly waiting for "someone else" to join them.

So my question is this - do you look less lonely and more appealing if you are out at a bar or a party alone IF you are engaged with your Treo? The message you convey as you surf with Blazer or wrap out text messages is "Yeah, I have lots of cool friends, they are just not here YET".

People attempt this with every make and model of cell phone available, but I think that the Treo is an especially good drinking buddy as it offers so many options and can serve as an ice-breaker if you stumble onto another Treo user ("Hey, nice Treo! Do you have Directory Assistant on your's? No? Here, let me beam it to you...").

Have you ever used your Treo as a wingman?
    This always happends, at every bar I got to. Always run into another Treonaut, just watch those Drunkin' Text's, sometimes I just go nuts .
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Yep the treo is great to have at bars. I have used mine to text message a drink order in to a friend who was down by the bar, while I was upstairs.
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Guilty.
    Lol
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    I've done this many times. A thousand times better than reading a book!

Even met a couple people along the way wanting to pick my brains on the Treo.

The Treo is great for settling senseless arguments too. It goes like this: "I'm on Google search right now, and you're WRONG! I'm telling you, you're wrong! I'm right!!!!" Now pay up the $20 bet! :-))))
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    Is Your Treo a Drinking Buddy?
    You bet. Not only is he entertaining and helpful at the bar, he also helps identify new watering holes. I have a brewpub POI list set up in Tomtom Navigator 5 and my Treo lets me know whenever I'm within a mile of a pub. With his help, I've tasted house brews at many locations around the country.
    majorly guilty. I always feel like a dork when I tap away on my keyboard at the bar. I am glad I am in good company.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    didn't I just see a thread about the proliferation of useless, non-informative, space-hogging threads???
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Guilty.
    Of so much more than you know, NRG.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Do sushi bars count? If so, guilty.
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx
    yeah, it definitely can be a good ice breaker/ "i'm not here by myself" camoflauge.. Plus I like to take a pic of the bartender/scene in case a good story develops later on.
    Yup, used to do that with a Treo 650 - now do the same with a Cingular 8125. And - have a habit of asking people about their phone / device if it's an interesting one ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    The Treo is great for settling senseless arguments too. It goes like this: "I'm on Google search right now, and you're WRONG! I'm telling you, you're wrong! I'm right!!!!" Now pay up the $20 bet! :-))))
    Google/palm has helped settle many disputes amongst my buddies while out in a bar
    I tend to be early for just about everything. So, when I get to a bar, rather than staring blanky off in to space, I check email, news, play games - generally keep myself occupied and look busy!
    Palm Vx => M505 => M515 => T =>T3 =>T5 =>Treo 650 => Treo 700P (Verizon)
    Quote Originally Posted by bebrewer View Post
    Google/palm has helped settle many disputes amongst my buddies while out in a bar
    This is a recent true story...not making it up:

During a casual reception dinner held at a museum in a mixed company of men and women, a few people sitting at the next table were laughing their heads off on the subject of a woman "dilating". One woman at the table said "hey, that's not suitable dinner conversation!" The people at the table kept cracking up on this topic.

I felt left out, not understanding the conversation, although I knew it had something to do with pregnancy. So out came my trusted Treo, and I went to www.ask.com to inquire on the topic of "dilating". After reading several sentences, I exclaimed "YIKES!!" and I was able to join in on the next table's laughter. We all had a good laugh from this!

I love my Treo...never at a loss for useless information at the right moment!
    Casey
  17.    #18  
    My Treo and I struck out last night. I was at my neighborhood watering hole, there were two attractive younger women sitting next to me - I noticed that one had a Treo 650 in front of her. At what seemed like an appropriate moment I made mention of her Treo and tried to talk to her about it. She told me that she didn't know how to use it as anything other than a phone, and that her email had been set up by a friend. I was going to beam her the new Google Maps app but...she clearly had no interest in Treo Chat.

This was the first time my Treo and I have been turned down cold, but it does go to prove my theory that many, many of the people who own Treos have NO idea what they are capable of - these people are the anti-power users and I bet they make up the bulk of Treo sales...
    This was the first time my Treo and I have been turned down cold, but it does go to prove my theory that many, many of the people who own Treos have NO idea what they are capable of - these people are the anti-power users and I bet they make up the bulk of Treo sales...
    Even James Bond must strike out from time to time.
    My Treo and I struck out last night. I was at my neighborhood watering hole, there were two attractive younger women sitting next to me - I noticed that one had a Treo 650 in front of her. At what seemed like an appropriate moment I made mention of her Treo and tried to talk to her about it. She told me that she didn't know how to use it as anything other than a phone, and that her email had been set up by a friend. I was going to beam her the new Google Maps app but...she clearly had no interest in Treo Chat.

That's a pretty funny story! I'm sure it happens often!

I used to think it was mostly women who had trouble figuring out their Treos. But I've also met many guys who are just as clueless on using the Treo. What's the moral of the story? Well, nothing actually...just making an observation. Nowadays, I think twice about offering any help to a fellow Treo user that's a stranger, whether at a bar or on the street. Takes too much effort, and they probably might never use the beamed apps anyway.

However, at work, it's a different story. Fellow Treo users search for me to help them with all things related to the Treo. I don't mind helping out dedicated Treo users. At this point, there are at least a dozen new Treo users because of me! Pretty soon, it's going to be a Treo nation!

I also think that many people are getting a Treo to use as a simple phone, and don't have a clue about the PDA or internet functions. They may not even have a data plan! What's a Treo without a data/internet plan? To me, a crippled Treo! Like walking on crutches! Useless!!

As you said earlier, it's their loss!
    Casey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast