Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I lost my phone this a.m... came of my belt in the park... called the phone and someone answered, kind of, spoke either in Chinese or jibberish, then sent one text message back to the phone I was calling with just a smiley face. Now won't answer text messages or phone!

So obviously these are not nice people are will be up to no good... is there anything I can do to track the phone? Catch these f*&#'ers?

Seamus
    Obviously, the first thing you need to do is contact your carrier and tell them the phone is lost. Explain to them what happened and see what they have to say.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    call your service provider immediately and suspend service on the phone. if you had the phone insured, file a police report and get the report #, and handling officer badge # and call your phone insurance company as that is the first thing they will ask for and then they will replace the phone. but first suspend your service so that the person with your phone can't run up your bill.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I don't know if sprint can pinpoint the exact location of that phone using the 911 gps feature which is built in, but I'd ask them to give it a shot & then notify the authorities - if that's possible. theoretically, police could head straight for those a$$holes and apprehend the phone from them.

again, I don't know if this is possible, but I'd sure try it. I'd be enraged if that happened to me. I sure hope they can help you out.

incidentally, there should be a tracking protocol implemented into our phones which can be activated in the event of loss or theft. we should be able to call sprint, have them locate the device, like I stated above, then put the authorities on the trail. at the very least, there should be a disabler which renders the phone into a brick once reported as stolen.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    it would be badazz if they would but they won't do it for just the phone. ONLY if someone is missing will the authorities utilize the GPS locator. Last month my wife lost her purse with her RAZR phone and a stack of credit cards as well as her I.D. and After I called verizon to suspend service on her phone I asked if they could use the GPS to locate and see if the purse and phone had left the mall to which I was told that that can only be done when someone is missing.
    My Palm Treo 700w was a snitch
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Because you were unable to keep track of your phone, doesn't mean it was stolen. Therefore the police shouldn't get involved. Sorry for your loss, but using the police to track your phone is just plain stupid. Buy another phone and be more careful next time.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Because you were unable to keep track of your phone, doesn't mean it was stolen. Therefore the police shouldn't get involved. Sorry for your loss, but using the police to track your phone is just plain stupid. Buy another phone and be more careful next time.
    Don't you think you're being a bit harsh? Police and firemen go out of their way to do things such as rescue cats that have gotten stuck in trees, yet asking them for help to track down a stolen $500 device is stupid? The people who found it are obviously not willing to return it, which means they have stolen it. If somebody finds something, tries to find the owner, fails, and THEN keeps it is completely different. The people who have the phone now know how to get in contact with the original owner, as they have shown by sending that smiley face message.
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Harsh? No. I think that it's a waste of my taxpaying money to rescue some cat out of a tree too. When it gets hungry, it'll come down. The police have much better things to do than find someone's phone. I don't think it's harsh at all. Learn to keep track of your things and you won't be in this predicament.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I have been on this forum for some time reading about the phones I am thinking of purchasing. This maybe my 5th thread I have responded to. I think Akula I hope i spelt that right is incredible, and must have pockets lined with money if he/she feels it's worthless to get the cops involved for someone to recover there item. I guess he/she has never lost anything and must be oh so perfect that from time to time does not need assistance. What the hell do we pay taxes for if not from time to time for the cops that work for us to assist us when we need there help! Bad call on your part sir/ma'am.
    If you are generally a law abiding, COPS do nothing for you. Give you stupid marginal tickets and stop you from having any kind of fun (a beer on a hot summer day in a park while playing softball). Go after a lost phone, an illegal or their own, forget it.
    It doesn't have to have the police involve. Basically it will cost alot of man/hour to retrive a phone. Let's save it cost on average $500 to hire a repo guy to get the phone back, and the phone company charge you $600 for the service, would you still pay for the retrieval?

That's why phone companies don't offer this service.
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Well stated.

Quote Originally Posted by cannonierd
    I have been on this forum for some time reading about the phones I am thinking of purchasing. This maybe my 5th thread I have responded to. I think Akula I hope i spelt that right is incredible, and must have pockets lined with money if he/she feels it's worthless to get the cops involved for someone to recover there item. I guess he/she has never lost anything and must be oh so perfect that from time to time does not need assistance. What the hell do we pay taxes for if not from time to time for the cops that work for us to assist us when we need there help! Bad call on your part sir/ma'am.
    Why do you need to be rich to think it's a waste to have the police go chase after your phone? Especially when it wasn't actually stolen. The OP was careless enough to leave a really expensive device in a park and someone else found it. I don't know about Akula, but I know that I'm careful enough to not forget something as expensive as a Treo in a park... As for taxes, we pay them so that the police can protect us from crime... not so they can go and fetch your phone. With your logic perhaps the fire department should go get my drycleaning done.
    Last edited by FrozenCode; 09/04/2006 at 08:57 PM.

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    Well a while back I lost my regular cell phone... went down to my local police dept.. and filled out a report. With the report number I was able to use that to get a new phone. It does not have to be theft.. you can file a report if you lose it and it will not cost any man hours. Also, you can use the report for tax purposes at the end of the year to sum up any losses you might've had.

KAOS
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    "... but using the police to track your phone is just plain stupid. Buy another phone and be more careful next time "
    - akula
    hey jack, insulting people's contributions without provocation is just plain stupid.. go get yourself some manners and try being polite next time.
    Last edited by vw2002; 09/05/2006 at 12:20 AM.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    ". As for taxes, we pay them so that the police can protect us from crime... not so they can go and fetch your phone. With your logic perhaps the fire department should go get my drycleaning done. ....."

- frozencode

what's with the need to be rude and obnoxious here, folks? jesus christ! have you ever heard of disagreeing with people tactfully without going out of your way to rudely insult their ideas? freaking argument mongers. incredible.
    Last edited by vw2002; 09/05/2006 at 07:27 AM.
    didn't you say the perpetrator called you back and left a text message....can you track the number - reverse query or something?
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    If the thief who stole the phone tries to register it at Sprint, they should know that the ISN is being used. Just give Sprint your ISN and see if anyone is using the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle View Post
    didn't you say the perpetrator called you back and left a text message....can you track the number - reverse query or something?
    Would that do any good? I mean it's Seamus' phone that the thief called back on, right? In which case, Seamus already knows the number.
    Palm Personal > Palm m505 > Palm m515 > Palm Zire 71 > Palm Zire 72 > PalmOne Treo 650.
    This happened to me once. Someone broke into my car and stole the phone. I called my phone and got a busy signal. Bugged me no end that someone else was having fun on the line. I mean I was really steamed.

Called the carrier. Fixed the problem. Got a new phone. Got the broken car window replaced. Moved on.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Verizon has a GPS tracking feature you add onto your phone plan for a certain amount of $$$ a month. I already asked if it was something I could call in at any time and have it enabled and then cancel it the next day. They said no problem. Sorry, I don't recall the name of the plan, but this is what I plan on doing if we ever misplace our phones. And by 'we' I meen my wife. :-)
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast