1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I apologize if this isn't the best place to put this, but it seems to cover multiple areas...

I am an old Treo 600 user. I was a Verizon subscriber but had some billing issues that took forever to resolve, so I was thinking about shifting to Cingular since they are GSM and it seems that Uncle Sam likes to send me to Iraq every couple years... I am also a die-hard Mac user and have used Palm OS since the Pilot 1000! I need a new Treo (I don't like the low screen resolution of the 600) and will use my machine for medical reference programs. Don't need to be able to use it with my laptop for broadband access, although that capability won't hurt.

So, Verizon versus Cingular? My experience with Verizon was awesome until I deployed and they failed to terminate my account (yes, I faxed all the paperwork in... twice) and I got a bill via a collection agency for over $600. That took a while to clear up. Needless to say that left a sour taste in my mouth. However, I have been reading that Cingular is worse -- Consumer Reports states they are near-bottom in customer satisfaction surveys and Verizon is tops. Thoughts?

Palm OS versus Windows Mobile? I am going to start using a Windoze OS with Boot Camp for installing those pesky .exe files, but plan to use Mac OS and the Missing Sync for my day to day syncing needs. I LOVED my Treo 600, but am very concerned about the viability of the Palm platform. How much of a leap is Windows Mobile? I use Windows XP daily at work so I am familiar with the Windows experience. Thoughts?

The combination of these factors will drive whether I wait for Cingular to come up with something or if I am going to go with the 700p/w. Any help you have to offer, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Kevin
    ----------
    Kevin King
    Verizon 700p
    GSM Windows Mobile Treo 750v is the answer for a number of reasons:

1) If you go Palm WM it will open up a universe of other WM devices in the future, giving you much greater freedom of choice.
    2) GSM is the world standard, you have a much better chance of getting service overseas with the same device. With CDMA no chance (although I've heard American contractors want to covert Iraq to CDMA - go figure...)
    3)You can use your WM Treo with a WIFI card, which means you have a chance to get data service even if you don't have cellular cover.
    4) You are moving from a 600, so the 240x240 is still a step up from 160x160.
    5) The new GSM POS Treo will only have a VGA camera.
    6) most or all of the medical references are now available under WM.
    7) using Skype, you could make free calls over WIFI from wherever you are.
    8) If you buy a SlingBox, you could watch home TV from Baghdad
    9) You can now Activesync via Parallels Desktop for Mac without having to reboot your mac.
    10) you can synchronize otherwise OS agnostically via cheap/free hosted exchange e.g 4smartphone.net etc.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 09/03/2006 at 05:12 PM.
    I have had Cingular since 2002 and have been very pleased with them. I have only had trouble with them once, and that was due to a computer error when my account was activated. (I got a $1300 bill! All of my calls had been counted as roaming even though they were local! Oops! It took a while to get in touch with the person whohad a high enough clearance to fix such a big mistake, but they credited it all back) Service wise, I haven't had too many problems. I had to replace my old phone (sony ericsson) twice and they were always very very helpful with that.
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    GSM Windows Mobile Treo 750v is the answer for a number of reasons:

1) If you go Palm WM it will open up a universe of other WM devices in the future, giving you much greater freedom of choice.
    2) GSM is the world standard, you have a much better chance of getting service overseas with the same device. With CDMA no chance (although I've heard American contractors want to covert Iraq to CDMA - go figure...)
    3)You can use your WM Treo with a WIFI card, which means you have a chance to get data service even if you don't have cellular cover.
    4) You are moving from a 600, so the 240x240 is still a step up from 160x160.
    5) The new GSM POS Treo will only have a VGA camera.
    6) most or all of the medical references are now available under WM.
    7) using Skype, you could make free calls over WIFI from wherever you are.
    8) If you buy a SlingBox, you could watch home TV from Baghdad

Surur
    I think the world would be better if it was all CDMA with more crystal clear landline like calls with a network that can handle the data load.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I just made the move from the 600 to 700p (stayed on Sprint). Long time Mac user. Info gleaned from this forum made the migration easy. You'll really like the 700p. The rest of my family is on Cingular and they like it. I think Cingular has the 650 now.
    Bo Meyer
    Visor 90 --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 700p
    Mac OS X