Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I got my Oct 06 issue of CR last night and was pleased to discover a half-page article on p8 that calls the 700p "the best smart phone." It's compared to Motorola's Q, Nokia's 9300, and TMobile's Sidekick 3. Always nice to get a little plug like that. :-)

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/e...erm=smartphone
    Nice!!
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    As far as a convergence device goes, I agree- it's tops. But as a cellphone it sucks. Horrible reception, goes out of range where ordinary generic cellphones have full service AND it's one of the higher radiation-emitting phones out there.
    Thanks,
    I appreciate CR's opinion.
    Even w/ all our complaints, the Treo still beats the competition.
    Just call me Berd.
    Hmm, I never have problems with rception on mine. Mine is a Cingular Branded Treo 650 now unlocked. Reception is good the volume on a Bluetooth Headset is a little low. It is something that you get used to. I have tried many other phone and spent lots of moneyy trying and love the Treo the best. I use mine all day every day.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    I've been using Treos too long to remember what the word reception means It's not like there's a thick layer of lead around the device, but it gets kind of annoying when I have poor signal and someone next to me with the same carrier has three or four bars...

Huh? I always have full reception, and my Bluetooth is loud enough, unless I'm at a dimsum restaurant, then NOTHING is loud enough.

I dunno, I'm on Rogers in Canada with an ex-Cingular unlocked/unbranded 650. *shrug*
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister View Post
    As far as a convergence device goes, I agree- it's tops. But as a cellphone it sucks. Horrible reception, goes out of range where ordinary generic cellphones have full service AND it's one of the higher radiation-emitting phones out there.

Who is your carrier? I have never had a problem with reception.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I'm a Consumer Reports fan and value their opinion, however this was not a full ratings on smartphones - it was just a little write-up in the 'Up Front' section. Their sampling of smartphones that they rated was pretty weak - The 700p is definitely the top out of those smartphones. None of the competition ran WM 5 PPC edition either. There are a lot of smartphones that run WM5 PPC that gives the 700p good competition.

As far as reception - this was one of the main reasons I moved to a different smartphone from the Treo. I couldn't figure out how you can make such a great PDA form factor but have a horrible phone. The reception problem is mostly found on the GSM treos by the way - so Sprint and Verizon users probably don't notice it.
    The reception is quite good on my Cingular Treo 650.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    And for me, I get excel recep w/ 1.20 ENA - Car DB: 270.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister View Post
    As far as a convergence device goes, I agree- it's tops. But as a cellphone it sucks. Horrible reception, goes out of range where ordinary generic cellphones have full service
    I've always said this about my Verizon 650 (or the 600 before that). Their digital service is spotty as can be in the areas around St. Louis. Yesterday I took a ride up the Mississippi River for about 100 miles and then back on the other side of the river in the MG and didn't have service most of the way. When I tried to make a call when I had bars, it would connect then drop the call. Obviously my network was hiding.
    Reception has been great for me. Never a dropped call. Curious if the guy with the reception problem is on CDMA?

My only gripe is that they should have had way more RAM for a phone that they knew needed it. AFAIC, the RAM limitation is the bottleneck here.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    the one-eyed man is king. CR needs to do its homework more carefully.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Yeah, I didn't think there was a problem with my treo either on Cingular until I tried a different phone (RAZR & Cingular 8125). Then I realized what an aweful phone the Treo is. PDA functionality is great though.
    I have Sprint and have never had reception problems, i mean you have to really be in the boonies to have problems in my case.
    Quote Originally Posted by rick2203 View Post
    I have Sprint and have never had reception problems, i mean you have to really be in the boonies to have problems in my case.
    Like I said, I'm with Verizon (CDMA). Yes, when I have problems I'm somewhat out in the "boonies: but I was in areas where an analog phone would have great service. I just always wondered why the Treo is ONLY digital and not both? The phones should be both until all service is digital.
    Reception quality is one of those things where there are just far too many variables to have a meaningful discussion. Maybe someone is making short calls and someone else typically makes much longer calls. Perhaps another works in a building with different construction materials. I had an LG4400 standard issue, Verizon CDMA phone that had incredible reception - seemingly better than either my 650 or my 700p. Both my Treos are adaquate in terms of reception. I had another LG phone mixed in that had LOUSY reception - it actually prompted me to get my first 650. I would not say that my Treos are "poor" in terms of reception, they just don't SEEM to measure up to one phone that I had that was outstanding.
    Keefer - I agree with your assessment. I have had Sanyo's, Samsung's and LG's on Sprint that have been both good and bad. My 650 is not "bad", but it just does not have the "pin drop" clarity that my last LG had. So, I do rate the Treo a little lower in overall reception.
    I live in Atlanta and still use a 600. in past few weeks the dropped calls have multiplied. always on newwork search. could receiver in phone be bad. did sprint degrade towers in Atlanta?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast