Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm considering getting a Treo without a data plan with Verizon. I'm currently in a family share plan on Verizon. I'm hoping to get the Treo 700, mainly using the PDA functions of the phone. I don't really need the E-mail and web browsing features. However, I would like to do AIM instant messaging on the phone. Does that count against your text allotment or does it count as data usage? I know on my current Verizon LG phone, I can IM all I want, and it counts against my TXT plan. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    700p or 700w? I don't think there is an entirely data-free solution but VeriChat has an always on mode which can use SMS.

My advice? If you don't want to use the data features, get a better and smaller phone. It's really not worth it, in my opinion, just for AIM.Other phones do that (and do it better)!
    Quote Originally Posted by stephentyler20 View Post
    My advice? If you don't want to use the data features, get a better and smaller phone. It's really not worth it, in my opinion, just for AIM.Other phones do that (and do it better)!
    I agree.

Buying a Treo without a data plan is kinda like buying a tow truck but you're not going to tow anyone. (Or pick your favorite metaphor). The magic is in the convergence of phone + PDA + data access.
    funny - but I know someone else who has a Treo just for text messaging.

Anyway - ask Verizon. I would think that AIM would be data-based on a Treo, not TXT based. But they should be able to tell you for sure.
    A cousin of mine has a Cingular Treo 650 with no data plan and he asked me for cool apps that he can install on his Treo. I looked for one, but I could not find one that didn't use a data plan. I starting thinking how different my apps are now than when I had a Sony Clie NX70.

Al
    First the good news - there are zillions of Palm OS programs available that can be used on a Treo that don't use the data connection, from TideTool to Filez, to different database products and reference tools.

Now the bad news - there aren't really any programs that don't use the data function that will make you go "Gee, I am really glad I got this Treo". The risk of having access to data on Blazer is too high - you will want to use it and then - if you don't have a plan - you will get the "bill from hell", especially if you have an EVDO connection where you can download a hell of alot of information in just a relatively few minutes - enough to conceivably cost you hundreds of dollars.

There are always a few active strings on this topic, and I think the reality is that the risk of not having a data plan is too high. The metaphors abound, but owning a Treo and not wanting a data plan is alot like buying a Hummer and being concerned about gas mileage. If you can't afford the data, there are other phones geared for text and chat only that will be better solutions.
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stephentyler20 View Post
    My sentiments exactly!
    Get a sidekick its the best thing i've seen for Aim and text. seems like its all the sidekick does. its the Ferrari of txting. ok back to the metaphors, having a Treo without Data is like having a plasma TV and not wanting to pay for cable service.
    Quote Originally Posted by rick2203 View Post
    Get a sidekick its the best thing i've seen for Aim and text. seems like its all the sidekick does. its the Ferrari of txting. ok back to the metaphors, having a Treo without Data is like having a plasma TV and not wanting to pay for cable service.
    ditto that.
    There are people out there who see a benefit to having their PDA and their phone in one device, but who want to segregate their functions in a way that precludes the necessity and expense of having a data connection. I can see the point, but I simply see the risk as being too high - with EVDO its technically possible to ski past a 20MB data plan on one Versamail download, in just a few minutes. You go off on vacation and think "I will just check email once a day" and you come back two weeks later to a cellphone bill that is $300 more than you were anticipating. It happens. The other aspect of this discussion that drives me to dissuade people from even attempting skimping on the data plan (or worse, having none) is that we NEVER see anyone chime in amongst the strings on the topic saying "I love my Treo and don't have a data plan and I have never had any problem NOT using data". Instead we see people (like myself) who THOUGHT that the 25MB Verizon plan would be enough and got SLAMMED with a bill of several hundred dollars for going a few MB over the allowance.
    Let me try that.
    -Having a Treo with no data plan is like having a PC and refusing in paying for Internet.
    -Having a Treo with no data plan is like James Bond without the gadgets and girls.

Al
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Let me get in on this:

Having a Treo without a data plan is like, having a Ferrari without a motor.
    Its like dating Pamela Anderson after she has downsized...
    I mean there are phones out there with better PDA functionalites than the treo that are probably way cheaper, i honestly do not see a point on owning a Treo if your not gonna have data,you can always get a Treo 600 ,and just have the phone on it, its way cheaper than gettin a 650 or 700
    Well, I'm here to chime in that I have a Treo with only a tiny data plan, and have absolutely no regrets in buying it.

I'm sure if unlimited data was available here at a reasonable price, then I'd get it, but data is far, far from reasonable from Canadian carriers. Basically, you have to be wealthy or have your business pay for it.

So, I have a small data plan with a 2MB limit and I use it only when necessary. Meanwhile, I've gone from carrying two devices (T3 + V551) to a single device, which was the main reason I made the transition.

Even without data, I still love my Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Well, I'm here to chime in that I have a Treo with only a tiny data plan, and have absolutely no regrets in buying it.

I'm sure if unlimited data was available here at a reasonable price, then I'd get it, but data is far, far from reasonable from Canadian carriers. Basically, you have to be wealthy or have your business pay for it.

So, I have a small data plan with a 2MB limit and I use it only when necessary. Meanwhile, I've gone from carrying two devices (T3 + V551) to a single device, which was the main reason I made the transition.

Even without data, I still love my Treo.
    Yes but you are Canadian...
    PatricS,
    I was in Vancouver a couple of weeks ago and I was data roaming for free on my Sprint Treo 700p. I noticed that I could only get EVDO at the airport, but everywhere else it was 1x. The data speed was really fast though. I also learned that everything in Vancouver is way more expensive than in the US. I saw a Treo cradle for 85 loonies. WTF?? I was also having problems with the parking been very expensive. 2 loonies for 15 minutes?? and what's up with the shopping carts at the supermarkets? you have to put a quarter to get a shopping cart..?? LOL I love Vancouver though..! The city is really nice and the people too. I found myself hanging out around Robson St and Burrad a lot, but I'm glad I made it back to California.

Al
    So, I sent another email to Palm today, though not expecting a response. To date, there have been three Treos released in the US since the 650 and NONE here in Canada. I guess that despite being long time Palm users, we do not really count as customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    I was in Vancouver a couple of weeks ago and I was data roaming for free on my Sprint Treo 700p. I noticed that I could only get EVDO at the airport, but everywhere else it was 1x. The data speed was really fast though. I also learned that everything in Vancouver is way more expensive than in the US. I saw a Treo cradle for 85 loonies. WTF?? I was also having problems with the parking been very expensive. 2 loonies for 15 minutes?? and what's up with the shopping carts at the supermarkets? you have to put a quarter to get a shopping cart..?? LOL I love Vancouver though..! The city is really nice and the people too. I found myself hanging out around Robson St and Burrad a lot, but I'm glad I made it back to California.

Al
    I'm very jealous of your data plan!

Yes, many things are more expensive here ... we have a tenth your population so economies of scale don't apply so well. BTW... The shopping carts return your quarter when you return them.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast