Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    i have had about 6 or 7 treo 650 so far. the earlier ones all had production errors.

with the current one i'm fine since about a year, but its technology is pre-historic.

i'd like to do multitasking, have faster 1.2 bluetooth for faster hotsync and a sleeker OS (palm it goes without saying).

but there's nothing new to be seen on the GSM front.

problem with windows? am on a mac. and using a windoze phone for hotsyncing and as a modem for a mac labtop sounds like a sure nightmare.

what to do?

where are the alternatives?

there are tons and tons of attractive new phones coming out, but somehow i'm sworn to this treo which really makes my life easier.

help!!!

any alternatives around?!
    Wait for his Steveness grand you the iPhone in a beam of light.
    switch wireless carrier
    Cyber,

I'm in a similar position. I use a Mac and have come to rely on various Palm OS applications to get me through the day.

I recently picked up a SE P990i and although it's still a little buggy it's a nice device. The browser in particular deserves a mention, it really is impressive over WiFi or 3G. The problem is there are no real alternatives to the software I currently use for UIQ3 (at the moment) and if/when they become available there is of course the OSX sync issue.

There will be an updated Palm OS Treo, it's just a question of when and if the features will be worth the upgrade....
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heterodoxos View Post
    Cyber,

I'm in a similar position. I use a Mac and have come to rely on various Palm OS applications to get me through the day.

I recently picked up a SE P990i and although it's still a little buggy it's a nice device. The browser in particular deserves a mention, it really is impressive over WiFi or 3G. The problem is there are no real alternatives to the software I currently use for UIQ3 (at the moment) and if/when they become available there is of course the OSX sync issue.

There will be an updated Palm OS Treo, it's just a question of when and if the features will be worth the upgrade....
    the p990i is on sale already?

what about its functionality? you get the menues easily?

thats a phone i was looking at, even though the keyboard looks kind of micky mouse.

and hotsyncing and using it as a modem for a mac? any experience?

got some friends in high places in the telecom industry here (asia). they are convinced that palm OS is dead, but me too eagerly believes another palm-treo is on the horizon.

cant switch carrier here - have to go gsm, therefore no current treo alternatives ...
    Quote Originally Posted by cyber View Post
    the p990i is on sale already?

what about its functionality? you get the menues easily?

thats a phone i was looking at, even though the keyboard looks kind of micky mouse.

and hotsyncing and using it as a modem for a mac? any experience?

got some friends in high places in the telecom industry here (asia). they are convinced that palm OS is dead, but me too eagerly believes another palm-treo is on the horizon.

cant switch carrier here - have to go gsm, therefore no current treo alternatives ...

The phone is actually quite intuitive but I do find myself trying to use Treo shortcuts on it. Initially I didn't like the keyboard but it has grown on me, I can't type as fast as I can on the Treo but it's just a matter of practice. The phone isn't iSync compatible yet so the only way to sync data is using Microsoft Exchange. As I use Entourage anyway it wasn't particularly difficult to set up a hosted Exchange server. Of course even when iSync adds compatibility you still won't be able to back up the phone or update the firmware. I'm upgrading my Powerbook to an Intel Mac soon so if I want to use this phone I'm going to have to use bootcamp to run Windows and do what I have to do.

I think there's enough life in the current Palm OS for one more Treo. Whether I'll get 3G speeds is another matter.....
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Heter,

I have M608c which is a variant of M600i. I am also using entourage in my Mac. Are you saying that UIQ 3.0 can be sync with entourage ???
    Need WIFI, 3.5G, slim and light form factor for Treo to win me back from Samsung i600 !!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyber View Post
    problem with windows? am on a mac. and using a windoze phone for hotsyncing and as a modem for a mac labtop sounds like a sure nightmare.
    Actually, from all accounts syncing a mac to a Windows Mobile device is pretty straightforward. You'll need to invest the $40 in a copy of The Missing Sync for Windows Mobile though.
    We can only wish and hope ALP will come thru and save the day.... (and PalmOS)
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News