Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Since my last thread was moved (even though the purpose of it was to not sell my Treo) I guess I will have to create another one.

I along with many others here have an old treo laying around. In my case its an in amazing condition Treo 600. Are there any projects designed to use old Treos for other purposes?

I know that Wifi is not possible due to the OS not being able to handle multiple radios...what about replacing the OS. Shadowmite was working on this a while ago...does he or anyone else have linux running with Wifi?
    Dedicated SD MP3 player (in your car).

Don't laugh. They don't make SD (not miniSD) player anymore and one with a large screen would cost more than an used Treo 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by cruelpupet View Post
    what about replacing the OS. Shadowmite was working on this a while ago...does he or anyone else have linux running with Wifi?
    The Treo 600 operates on a TI OMAP310 processor, quite a difference from the Treo 650's PXA270 which Linux currently boots on. On top of that, there are major hardware design changes from the 600 to the 650.

An MP3 player sounds like a great idea if you have heavily compressed music... Maybe you could just use it as an all purpose tool in the car. Buy a vehicle mount and keep service on it. You could use it to get directions, find nearby gas stations or hotels, weather, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Dedicated SD MP3 player (in your car).

Don't laugh. They don't make SD (not miniSD) player anymore and one with a large screen would cost more than an used Treo 600.
    Actually, they do.
    A Hong Kong factory approached me recently and a Bulgarian factory too with SD card MP3 players in thier list of products.

Of course they deal in case lots and bulk.

I can facilitate a deal for you if you so wish!
    Quote Originally Posted by redbelt View Post
    Actually, they do.
    A Hong Kong factory approached me recently and a Bulgarian factory too with SD card MP3 players in thier list of products.

Of course they deal in case lots and bulk.

I can facilitate a deal for you if you so wish!

I can easily get one from ebay if I want one that has terribly un-ergonomic menu.
    My website/magazine Mobile Ministry Magazine does receive donated PDAs and acessories and them preps them for and trains missionaries how to use them. If you are looking for a place that could make use of an old Treo, MMM is it. See www.mobileministrymazine.com for more info.

You can also find other places to donate via the website www.charitydrives.org (or charirydrives.org/mobile from your Treo).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    give it to your kid for a toy, mp3 player, watch winnie the pooh on the road
    I hand mine down to my father, he gets the best of both worlds. I have the device for about a year but all the good apps / foxes on it and he just syncs his data. He is just always one treo behind but he doesnt mind and he doesnt even have to pay for it, so its all good.
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Use it as a TV remote control. I don't know of the power of the IR for the 600 though...
    - Jeeman
    Quote Originally Posted by JeeMan View Post
    Use it as a TV remote control. I don't know of the power of the IR for the 600 though...
    It would be about as good as a nice pebble for that, all the treos to date have had rather weak IR range to put it a nice way.
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
  11.    #11  
    hmm seems like theres not much to do with an old treo.

I had forgotten that the 600 didnt use the pxa processor so there's probably not much of a market for linux on it.

MP3 idea...eh I have an iPod and an old flash based player.

Got no kids

Novii Remote isnt a bad idea, but i might as well just put that on my 700 since i always have that on me anyway.

But this thread isnt just for me, what can be done with a spare 650 or a 700 currently.
    But this thread isnt just for me, what can be done with a spare 650 or a 700 currently.

I just sold my 650 for $260. Why do you want to hold on to it and see the resell value drop like a rock in a few months?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    I just sold my 650 for $260. Why do you want to hold on to it and see the resell value drop like a rock in a few months?
    because the $$$ isnt that important to me. Id rather see what cool things you can do with it are. Maybe turning it into something similar to the chumby.
    Make sure to do a zero out reset. This cleans the memory on your treo, not just the index file. Same as hard reset-but you have to hold down the hotsync button down on your sync cable too. Writes Zeros to all data clusters.
    because the $$$ isnt that important to me. Id rather see what cool things you can do with it are. Maybe turning it into something similar to the chumby.
    The coolest thing you can do is load it with pTunes and NESEM and give it to a middle school kid.
    sell it on craigslist and donate the money to your favorite charity. Or just walk up to someone with a crappy phone and hand it to them, just to see the look on their face, and walk away.
    Quote Originally Posted by stn415 View Post
    sell it on craigslist and donate the money to your favorite charity. Or just walk up to someone with a crappy phone and hand it to them, just to see the look on their face, and walk away.
    LMAO!!! That's a good one...

Priceless!
    - Jeeman
    my 3 year old daughter loved using some toyware called Playground on my Treo 650 so much so that I had difficulty using the phone myself. Problem was solved once I gave her my old treo 600. Great for trips. Does anybody know of other fun toyware for the 3-5 year old?
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robh11 View Post
    Does anybody know of other fun toyware for the 3-5 year old?
    WM5?
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Are there any projects designed to use old Treos for other purposes?
    ...or you could donate it to this - those mad old Finns!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast