1.    #1  
    We know that at some point GPS and WiFi will become standard in most Smartphones.

We also know that the OSes running on these devices will continue to improve over the next 5-10 years.

What other improvements do we have to look forward to?
    1) Faster, cheaper and more widespread data plans.
    2) Better photo and video cameras. (Improve to the point that standalone devices will be relagated to niche professional uses)
    3) The end of hotsync and activesync. (We will eventually sync directly with web based PIMs.The PC will stop being the middleman).
    4) better email clients (Our primary email device will become our phones)
    5) VOIP
    6) Better multitasking
    7) Faster processors
    8) Voice recognition agents that allow you to pull up your data off the network by asking for. (Think of the computer in Star Trek that people talk to).
    9) Send and recieve faxes from your phone (Using the camera as the scanner)
    10) Built in OCR. (The cameras will improve to the point that all phones will function as network enabled scanners, by uploading bitmaps to the network for processing).
    11) You will store more and more of you data on the network and just use the smartphone as a data access and processing device (The local storage will become more of a cache)
    12) WiFi will turn your smartphone into a portable hotspot
    13) Integration with Video and Music stores will take the PC out of the equation
    14) With built in GPS and E911 services, location based services and advertising will become hot.

What do you all think? Am I missing anything? Am I off base on some of these things?

Something I wonder about is form factors and displays? I unfortunately am blinded by the Treo, and feel it is ideal for todays uses. One thing I thought might be cool is a dual display smartphone, that sideways flips open. (Think a Nintendo DS on it's side with a thumbboard spread over both sides of the device. WHen it's closed it would look like a big feature phone. (Numeric keypad with a smallish LCD for quickdialing.)

Even if we just get half of these things, it will be exciting times.
    Last edited by Brandorr; 08/30/2006 at 12:28 PM.
    WiMax should replace the horribly short range wifi soon.

I don't some video conferencing.

One day, multiple thin clients would replace the PC. There is no need for a single large personal computer.
    Insightful list Brandorr, definitely exiting times!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr View Post
    We know that at some point GPS and WiFi will become standard in most Smartphones.

We also know that the OSes running on these devices will continue to improve over the next 5-10 years.

What other improvements do we have to look forward to?
    1) Faster, cheaper and more widespread data plans.
    2) Better photo and video cameras. (Improve to the point that standalone devices will be relagated to niche professional uses)
    3) The end of hotsync and activesync. (We will eventually sync directly with web based PIMs.The PC will stop being the middleman).
    4) better email clients (Our primary email device will become our phones)
    5) VOIP
    6) Better multitasking
    7) Faster processors
    8) Voice recognition agents that allow you to pull up your data off the network by asking for. (Think of the computer in Star Trek that people talk to).
    9) Send and recieve faxes from your phone
    10) Built in OCR. (The cameras will improve to the point that all phones will function as network enabled scanners, by uploading bitmaps to the network for processing).
    11) You will store more and more of you data on the network and just use the smartphone as a data access and processing device (The local storage will become more of a cache)
    12) WiFi will turn your smartphone into a portable hotspot
    13) Integration with Video and Music stores will take the PC out of the equation
    14) With built in GPS and E911 services, location based services and advertising will become hot.

What do you all think? Am I missing anything? Am I off base on some of these things?

Something I wonder about is form factors and displays? I unfortunately am blinded by the Treo, and feel it is ideal for todays uses. One thing I thought might be cool is a dual display smartphone, that sideways flips open. (Think a Nintendo DS on it's side with a thumbboard spread over both sides of the device. WHen it's closed it would look like a big feature phone. (Numeric keypad with a smallish LCD for quickdialing.)

Even if we just get half of these things, it will be exciting times.
    Exciting times indeed. I was going to prepare a list of this type after reviewing the list of Springboard modules, almost all of which are now integrated into the Treo itself. (GPS being the major exception).

(on an aside - Extending the Handspring analogy, in 1999/2000, there were giant Visor billboards all over Times Square. Handspring stopped innovating and Visors became irrelevant. Now we're at a junction where Treos are starting to gain popularity. At the same time, the Handspring brain trust (now in charge of Palm) has started to show decreased innovation in every device. I'm sure most of that wish list will be fulfilled, and that I will own a phone that fulfills it, but I'm not sure it will be a Treo.)

However:

is NOT something I'm looking forward to. I like having most of my important info on my SD card.
    Last edited by skfny; 08/25/2006 at 10:37 AM.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    At the same time, the Handspring brain trust (now in charge of Palm) has started to show decreased innovation in every device. I'm sure most of that wish list will be fulfilled, and that I will own a phone that fulfills it, but I'm not sure it will be a Treo.)
    I don't know it seems they've got alot of balls in the air. Getting all these different Treos out that are customized for the various carriers is alot of work. I suspect we will see true next generation PalmOS devices next year.

is NOT something I'm looking forward to. I like having most of my important info on my SD card.
    Think about this as a counterpoint. What happens if you lose your Treo? Wouldn't it be handy, to be able to just sync back up with a network service to reconfigure your Treo and gain access to your data again? (There is nothing holding you back from keeping a local copy for performance reasons, or offline access, but the master data would be kept on the network)
    Last edited by Brandorr; 08/26/2006 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Typo
    WiMax...
    at&t iPhone3G
    I don't know it seems they've got alot of balls in the air. Getting all these different Treos out that are customized for the various carriers is alot of work. I suspect we will see true next generation PalmOS devices next year.

Think about this as a counterpoint. What happens if you lose your Treo? Wouldn't it be handy, to be able to just sync back up with a network service to reconfigure your Treo and gain access to your data again? (There is nothing holding you back from keeping a local copy for performance reasons, or offline access, but the master data would be kept on the network)

It's handy but if you are getting a replacement phone anyway you can hotsync it back. It's useful for dumb phones but Sprint already offer the service (to backup your contacts), and they charge $5 a month for that. Hahaha.
    I worry whenever people talk about HotSync (or wireless backup, which I believe Orange offers for PIM) as a backup mechanism. What happens when you lose your Treo? Everything on the device gets restored, great. What about the gigs of info you had on your card?

I backup everything to the card and burn a DVD to backup the card twice a month.
  9.    #9  
    I worry whenever people talk about HotSync (or wireless backup, which I believe Orange offers for PIM) as a backup mechanism. What happens when you lose your Treo? Everything on the device gets restored, great. What about the gigs of info you had on your card?

I backup everything to the card and burn a DVD to backup the card twice a month.
    We are talking about the future, when network speeds will be at least 10X faster than today's 3G networks. It will then become feasible to store ALL your data on a network "file server". Currrently I just store a subset of my data on the 4GB SD card.

The paradigm won't be exactly like today's. It won't be local data that is backed up to the network. It will be network data that is cached to the local device everytime it is accessed.. You will also be able to lock certain files/data in the cache.

Look up HSM (Hierachial Storage Management)..
    We are talking about the future, when network speeds will be at least 10X faster than today's 3G networks. It will then become feasible to store ALL your data on a network "file server". Currrently I just store a subset of my data on the 4GB SD card.

The paradigm won't be exactly like today's. It won't be local data that is backed up to the network. It will be network data that is cached to the local device everytime it is accessed.. You will also be able to lock certain files/data in the cache.

Look up HSM (Hierachial Storage Management)..
    Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I'm scared to death of keeping all my data on someone's servers, secure or not. And even if security wasn't an issue, what happens when I take my CDMA phone to an out of coverage area? What happens to battery life when I try to cache 10GB of data before I head out of a coverage area?
  11.    #11  
    Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I'm scared to death of keeping all my data on someone's servers, secure or not. And even if security wasn't an issue, what happens when I take my CDMA phone to an out of coverage area? What happens to battery life when I try to cache 10GB of data before I head out of a coverage area?
    Ok, let's for a moment assume security isn't an issue. (It can be done securely but that's a whole seperate thread).

In today's world how useful is a PC that doesn't have a connection to the Internet? The network is going to become even more important as time passes.

Take it even further. My Treo is next to useless without signal. I use it primarily for a) Email (Includes reading Docs2Go attachments), b) phone/contacts c) Internet radio d) checking stock quotes e) keeping tabs on web based discussion forums on the road f) Calendar, appointments, and alarms g) quick google hits h) photo blogging. Almost all of these require some sort of Network connectivity.

Secondarily I also use it for: a) playing my music collection b) GPS navigation c) Showing off TCPMP (I don't actually use it, I would use it more if TCPMP supported streaming video, and/or we had much, much, much larger SD cards)

So without access to the cellular network it basically becomes a GPS/MP3 player, when I lose network connectivity. Good for hiking but not much else..

P.S. - I do know of people who have Treos with no internet data plan. This to me seems like a waste of money, and not quite mainstream useage.
    P.S.S. - I am waiting for SlingBox mobile for the 700p.
    Last edited by Brandorr; 08/30/2006 at 12:27 PM. Reason: typos