That would be stunning and Palm management would get bonus points for that move--it would clearly trump the competition

But of course if it is on CDMA it doesn't exist. Let's see what Vodaphone says on September 12.
    Don't think it's True GPS... from the other thread linked below, someone said (and I would agree)

"It is my understanding that the GPS that they are talking about is only for tracking the phone and will not interface with programs like TomTom."

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=122485&page=1
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    I would still like to see it there because someone would likely find a way hack the registry.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

All recent Treos (650, 700) have had GPS due to e911 regulations but it is up to the carrier to enable access to it (there are no palm OS apis). No carrier to my knowledge has done this yet for Treos, but they have for many other handsets. This is most likely not a new hardware feature in the 700wx, though Sprint may have finally provided developer access to it.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    when I spoke to a Sprint Tech Support yesterday, he stated the GPS was for e911 and location based services.... now, I always take info from sprints phone support with a grain of salt. I highly doubt this 'GPS" feature will be useful for what we want it for, more than likely it will work with services such as:

Family Locator using GPS

Sprint Family Locator is a location-based service that uses Sprint's state-of-the-art GPS technology to enable a parent to use a phone or PC to locate a child on a map. The service also gives the address, surrounding landmarks and accuracy of the child's location within a specified radius.

The registration process for Sprint Family Locator has been simplified, so that all steps for the parent are completed online. The service is still permission-based, requiring the parent and child to use a unique safety word during registration to ensure permissions have been granted by both parties.

Sprint is giving the power of Sprint Family Locator to more people by providing parents with a PC-only option for locating a child. For those who also want to download the application on a mobile phone, Sprint has expanded the number of compatible parent phones from 17 to 30. The number of locatable child phones has also expanded from 30 to 58 - that's substantially more phones than any other carrier with a similar service.
    I don't think e911 gps is suitable for driving directions especially outside a metropolitan area with dense tower coverage.

You really need satellite based nav for that stuff. All over coverage. Now it would be great if a true GPS chipset made its way into a treo, but I doubt we are going to see that in the next year.

If you have a Treo 700p and possibly a Treo 700w(x) I believe you can carry a small shirt-pocket rechargable bluetooth GPS receiver and not sacrifice your ability to use a BT headset. Not perfect, but something.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    And there's also this compact SDIO GPS option for the Treo 700w(x):
    http://shop.treonauts.com/content/ac...46-61--549.htm

Of course the problem is it eats up your SD card slot, but this GPS does have some built in memory.

Quote Originally Posted by SamT View Post
    I don't think e911 gps is suitable for driving directions especially outside a metropolitan area with dense tower coverage.

You really need satellite based nav for that stuff. All over coverage. Now it would be great if a true GPS chipset made its way into a treo, but I doubt we are going to see that in the next year.

If you have a Treo 700p and possibly a Treo 700w(x) I believe you can carry a small shirt-pocket rechargable bluetooth GPS receiver and not sacrifice your ability to use a BT headset. Not perfect, but something.
    Quote Originally Posted by rddt View Post
    And there's also this compact SDIO GPS option for the Treo 700w(x):
    http://shop.treonauts.com/content/ac...46-61--549.htm

Of course the problem is it eats up your SD card slot, but this GPS does have some built in memory.
    The rumor mill is churning about a Verizon Treo 800w that amongst other things would have a built-in GPS. It is about time Palm did that. Hopefully that pans out, however the existence of a GPS receiver in a Verizon device should be taken with a grain of salt. They have never sold a device with a system that allows satellite GPS. Their new Blackberry 8830 lacks this functionality whereas the AT&T Blackberry 8800 has it. If they do this it would be a change for them.
    Hi, welcome to yesterday. WTF?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Hi, welcome to yesterday. WTF?
    LOL, some threads just wont die!
    Bump