Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm to unveil new Treo model next month

LONDON (Reuters) - Handheld computer and phone maker Palm Inc. is to unveil the latest version of its Treo smart phone next month as it attempts to revive sales hit by tough competition and problems with previous models.

"The announcement is going to be made in the UK on September 12, and we will give all the details then but at the moment all we are saying is that it will be out before the end of the year," said a Palm spokeswoman.

A September or October release is seen by analysts as vital for any firm hoping to cash in on the all-important Christmas period as they vie for shelf space with rivals' products.

Any later than that and stores and Web sites are likely to have already made decisions about what to stock their shelves with ahead of the key trading period.

The Californian-based firm said in July the new version will operate on Vodafone's (VOD.L) high-speed third generation (3G) network and be powered by Microsoft Corp.'s Windows Mobile operating system, however details about the handset's functionality remain sketchy.

The current 700p version of the latest Treo has a slot for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth cards, but with the latest
    Nokia (NOK1V.HE), Sony Ericsson (ERICb.ST) (6758.T) and O2 offerings all boasting the technology in-built, Palm knows it can not afford to fall further behind as the competition heats up.

Palm is to launch the new handset to Vodafone customers in a number of European countries including the U.K., Germany, Spain, Italy and Netherlands as it attempts to win back the confidence of a market it once dominated with its Palm Pilot device.

The company is hoping the move to the Windows Mobile will help alleviate the concerns of Treo users who have long complained of Palm's own operating system crashing the handsets on a regular basis.

In June, the company stopped shipping its Treo 650 model in Europe because it was not compatible with a newly introduced phone technology standard.
    'Palm's own operating system', 'not compatible with a newly introduced phone technology standard'. Not exactly on the ball at Reuters are they? Hopefully the bit about the 12 September announcement is right at least.
    I want this with Cingular. PLEASE launch with them this year Palm!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    I want this with Cingular. PLEASE launch with them this year Palm!!!!!
    Yea, "PLEASE"
    That's all they have been waiting for.
    Just call me Berd.
    You guys had better hope that Vodafone doesn't have an exclusive like Verizon does/did on the 700w. Vodafone does own the best part of half of Verizon so it's not impossible to imagine a situation where they demanded a world-wide exclusive on the new Treo to protect 700w sales...
    I think Ed Colligan mentioned some time ago that the new phones will not have exclusive agreements...fwiw.
    Wow, where do I get one of those nifty Bluetooth cards?

"The current 700p version of the latest Treo has a slot for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth cards, but with the latest Nokia, Sony Ericsson and O2 offerings all boasting the technology in-built, Palm knows it can not afford to fall further behind as the competition heats up."
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    'Not exactly on the ball at Reuters are they?
    Now, just imagine how much our opinions are shaped by these folks coverage of world events! Scary. They've been caught staging more war photos than we have photoshopped Treos around here.
    Patrick Horne
    finally something to get excited about. i have been itching to pull the triger on a new phone but have been waiting for a new treo for gsm. i hope there is no exclusive for vodaphone
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by vflopez
    Wow, where do I get one of those nifty Bluetooth cards?

"The current 700p version of the latest Treo has a slot for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth cards, but with the latest Nokia, Sony Ericsson and O2 offerings all boasting the technology in-built, Palm knows it can not afford to fall further behind as the competition heats up."
    Whew. I thought everyone else knew some magic voodoo about BT that I didn't know. Well, I guess someone knows magic voodoo--Reuters.
    But it's a fine line between magic and made up, isn't it, Reuters?
    powered by windows mobile, 240 x 240 reso, not something very exciting.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    "powered by windows mobile, 240 x 240 reso, not something very exciting."

Exactly. Shame, now I am starting to look at the latest Blackberry's as I am NEVER going back to Microsoft.
    Compaq Aero 2100 -> Toshiba E570 -> Toshiba E800 -> O2 XDA II Mini -> PalmOne Treo 650
    I have a BB 8700 and while it works well I really like the WM5 interface. The 8125 I had was fantastic and if it had a QWERTY keyboard that did not slide out I might have kept it.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    daddy like dem apples!
    I gotta have more cowbell
    I hope the September 12 announcement also includes an unlocked version so I can use it on T-Mobile here. I went over to the T-Mobile store yesterday thinking that I could give the MDA another try but that silly keyboard on the MDA with the tiny chiclet keys that you have to mash into a hole to type a letter -- peh -- I couldn't do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    i hope there is no exclusive for vodaphone
    I was really just fooling with you chaps suggesting that Vodafone would have an exclusive on this. We know there are fairly good rumors of an Cingular release in the next couple of months:

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2006/0...ar-in-october/

and it would really be pretty unlikely that Palm would neglect the US GSM market by exclusively releasing a GSM device abroad that's sexier and more advanced than what it's offereing at home. Perhaps a month or so after the Vodafone release, but longer than that would be very surprising.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    I was really just fooling with you chaps suggesting that Vodafone would have an exclusive on this. We know there are fairly good rumors of an Cingular release in the next couple of months:

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2006/0...ar-in-october/

and it would really be pretty unlikely that Palm would neglect the US GSM market by exclusively releasing a GSM device abroad that's sexier and more advanced than what it's offereing at home. Perhaps a month or so after the Vodafone release, but longer than that would be very surprising.
    palm completely neglected the gsm market with the 700 series of phones though
    Naveen

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Palm did not neglect teh GSM market, you have exclusive models that were pegged for CDMA as well as requests/demands by the GSM paying customers of Palm to do something different. Maybe teh CDMA folks didnt have that pull, but the GSM side did and probably paid well for it. Expect GSM 700ish Treos to be slighty worse than expected but to work very well. That much does not speak towards neglect of any one but the user (but since consumers are not the buyers of GSM phones, carriers are, that neglect is not exactly existant).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    I hope the September 12 announcement also includes an unlocked version so I can use it on T-Mobile here. I went over to the T-Mobile store yesterday thinking that I could give the MDA another try but that silly keyboard on the MDA with the tiny chiclet keys that you have to mash into a hole to type a letter -- peh -- I couldn't do it.
    same boat.

but now im wondering if we US gsm users will have to wait for cingular to get their models out before we are even get a chance to buy an unlocked gsm version.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM
    Palm did not neglect teh GSM market, you have exclusive models that were pegged for CDMA as well as requests/demands by the GSM paying customers of Palm to do something different. Maybe teh CDMA folks didnt have that pull, but the GSM side did and probably paid well for it. Expect GSM 700ish Treos to be slighty worse than expected but to work very well. That much does not speak towards neglect of any one but the user (but since consumers are not the buyers of GSM phones, carriers are, that neglect is not exactly existant).
    well, i agree and disagree with you. i think the reason we did not see a gsm 700 was because of two reasons. what is the difference between the 650 and the 700, not much. also if there were a gsm 700p, the lack of change in the OS also would scare people away. i really hope palm can hit a home run with the 750w gsm because the hp 6900 and the tytn look really bad a$$
    Naveen

Next Phone:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast