1.    #1  
    I have a Treo 650 with Verizon and I do not have the unlimited data plan. However, I am going away for a week at the end of the month and I would like to check my e-mail. I was wondering if anyone knows how much data checking you e-mail 2 or 3 times (via Blazer) would use?

Thanks in advance,

Kara
    You can check with TrafficStat. It logs data usage in real time.

3.    #3  
    I am not sure if I want to connect to check my mail because I'm not sure how much it will cost me. I was hoping someone who has done this before could let me know approximately how much usage we're talking about.

Thanks,

kara
    Googling wouldn't have killed you, nor would have the manual.

It depends on how you setup the device to receive E-Mails. It can be set up to either receive only headers which will tell you sender, subject, etc. and then you can choose which messages you want to completely download. Headers are generally around 2K in size. The other option regulates how much of each message you want to download. The entire message option will download the entire message off the server, this can range from 10k to a 100k depending on the E-Mail.

Simply put, buy an unlimited plan.

5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    Googling wouldn't have killed you, nor would have the manual.

It depends on how you setup the device to receive E-Mails. It can be set up to either receive only headers which will tell you sender, subject, etc. and then you can choose which messages you want to completely download. Headers are generally around 2K in size. The other option regulates how much of each message you want to download. The entire message option will download the entire message off the server, this can range from 10k to a 100k depending on the E-Mail.

Simply put, buy an unlimited plan.
    Sorry to have bothered you.. I did search for this topic and couldn't find what I was looking for.. therefore I posted this thread. Also I have looked at the manual and I'm pretty sure it doesn't tell you how much usage checking your e-mail would require.. If you found it in some magical place, please let me know. I am not going to buy the unlimited plan for 1 week and have my contract renewed.. I asked a simple question and I am greatful for your help, but not your attitude.

Kara

7.    #7  
    Thank you.. I was not planning on using versamail
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    She's looking for the usage of checking email using Blazer, not VersaMail or anything like that.

I'm hoping that this forum doesn't turn into a hostile environment. Well, it's a hope.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
  9.    #9  
    That is what I'm looking for webedc thanks
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I doubt if anyone in the forum can answer your question point blank just because there are too many variables which would affect the amount of data traffic incurred for each Blazer session. Factors include: the type of email provider (Gmail? Yahoo? Hotmail? AOL?), the number of emails, the number of attachments, etc.

FrozenCode had a good suggestion to use TrafficStat (http://www.normsoft.com/trafficstat/) to gauge the traffic yourself before you make the trip. (It's shareware btw). I personally have not used it so I can't comment.

Hope other posters can be more helpful on this subject.
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
  11.    #11  
    Yeah.. I figured it was a tricky question thats why I can't get a difinitive answer. I thought I would give it a shot and maybe get a ballpark range. I use gmail with probably no attachments.. I was thinking I would just have my e-mail forwarded to my txt message address.. they might get cut off, but at least I can see if I'm missing anything important.. eh.. I'll think about it lol

kara
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Forwarding to txt msg address sounds like a cool idea if you have a good enough txt msg plan. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Verizon$'$s$ $SMS$ $implementation$ $would$ $break$ $down$ $a$ $long$ $msg$ $into$ $multiple$ $short$ $ones$ $so$ $you$ $may$ $be$ $able$ $to$ $read$ $your$ $entire$ $email$ $w$/$o$ $chopped$ $off$. ($However$, $I$'$m$ $not$ $100$% $sure$).

BTW, your idea helps you check emails but it may not help if you want to reply any of them. You may still need to hop on to Blazer.
  13.    #13  
    you can e-mail through txt messages.. and the forwarded e-mail should have the reply to address..
    I wonder if your carrier will give you a free 30 day trial for unlimited data? (I doubt it, but it's worth a shot.)
    Its not worth risking the bump up of fifteen dollars from the limited data plan to the unlimited - I think I got something like 15-20MB for $25 and the unlimited was $40. I made the mistake of TRYING the limited plan and went over by 15MB just checking email, etc and it was WAY, WAY more than the $15 difference - try $150. I'd suggest bumping up to the unlimited and then switching back to the limited plan the following month - just don't get to use to idle web browsing and using data software while you are on an all-you-can eat plan!
    Keefer, I got the same plan as NYRGal. You went way over 15MB just checking email -- how is that possible? Were you downloading lots of attachments? Getting hundreds/thousands of emails each month? Did you consider downloading only headers?