1.    #1  
    Anyone tried this? The files load on there, but I can't access the program from the drive. I wouold like to be able to update my files when on the road and another backup is never a bad thing.

For those that don't know, www.u3.com.
    Please note that if you're listening to my advice, you should have your head examined. Doing as I say could lead to mental illness, injury, or even death.
    I don't get it, what's the difference between a U3 flash drive and a regular flash drive... sounds like a marketing hoax to me...

The desktop software probably has some registry entries...

3.    #3  
    OK Code, are you saying you have/can run the desktop from your flash drive, or just bashing the U3?
    Please note that if you're listening to my advice, you should have your head examined. Doing as I say could lead to mental illness, injury, or even death.
    I didn't see any bashing in his post....he was just making a simple observation...and I don't blame him either....when you say U3 drive, we think it's something different or special, but if it's just a thumb drive (which is what it looks like) then it would be a bit easier to understand your question if you said thumbdrive or something similar...

You probably won't be able to run PD from your thumbdrive, because of the registry entries as mentioned by FrozenCode. But why try to run it from a thumbdrive? Why not run it on your computer? Or are you trying to keep PD on your thumbdrive and then plug it into someone else's computer and run it frm there? If that's what you're trying to do, I'm pretty sure it won't work.
    Unless you find the registries in regedit and back them up and then merge them with whatever computer you want to run it on, assuming of course that the drive letter of the thumbdrive remains constant.

Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Some more reading from the u3.com site reveals that U3 drives are not just the regular thumb drives. Some software (such as U3 Firefox) is specially written for U3 platform which utilizes U3 API's. In a nutshell U3-aware apps are written so that their settings and required data are stored in a U3 drive w/o the need to tap into the PC's registries or hard disk where the U3 drive is attached to.

As Palm Desktop has not claimed that it's U3 compliant, my bet the answer to the OP's question is no. But it's just my assumption.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    I've been looking for something like the same thing -- the ability to run Palm Desktop (or a decent substitute, syncing to my Treo) from a thumb drive without "installing" it on a host PC. For other examples of software that works this way check out www.portableapps.com. The reasons for doing this, with Palm or any other software, are:
    1. Privacy and security. You don't want to leave traces of your confidential data on someone else's computer.
    2. Admin privileges. You frequently use public or borrowed PCs and don't have admin privileges, so you can't install Palm Desktop.
    Palm Desktop definitely relies on registry entries and .DLL files on the boot drive. I'm eager to discover a way to make it work from a self-contained thumb drive, and hope someone here has a suggestion. I'd be happy to switch to another desktop PIM, as long as it synced smoothly with the Treo.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Yeah this is quite exciting. It's definitely more than just a thumb drive for mobile storage. I checked out the software tailored for U3 (http://software.u3.com/SoftwareCentral.aspx?skip=1) and it's very promising.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    As nice as all that is, it is still just one more thing to carry. If it is software then I would buy the software and install it to my MiniSD card. Otherwise I would be carrying my 6700, my data cable (very useful for thumb driving and DUN), and now this new gadget. I think I will pass. As useful as it sounds, I dont want to buy any more memory formats or cards. I want to buy one format, use the damn thing in my phone and be able to have ample storage and turn it into a thumb drive. MicroSD 8GB inside my WM5 device, then allow me to install the U3 software. Now we are talking business. Christ is this really too much to ask for?
    So they just figured out you could install applications on a thumbdrive? I've been doing this for ages...