Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    it seems to me that the specs are so similar. why would anyone buy a 700P when the 750 is basically the same, smaller etc.

anyone can help?
    The 750 is suppose to be with cingular meaning GSM versus CDMA. I guess the only reason to go GSM is if you travel internationally and need the ability to use your phone. Most CDMA carriers have some international coverage but nothing like the GSM carriers. I for one travel almost exclusively internationally and from russia to Brazil I am always connected with my GSM phone.

I am waiting for the WM5 Treo from Cingular to drop. I have my purchasing rep checking right now to see if she can get any info on a date. I am using a BB 8700c right now and love it but a WM5 GSM Treo as described in other threads is going to be my Camelot of phones!
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    What'chu talkin' 'bout, Willis??
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    1.) You can get a 700p TODAY!!
    2.) If you want to use Verizon or Sprint you have no other choice
    3.) Verizon (especially) and Sprint have much much larger 3G data footprints already deployed than Cingular does.

Honestly, I'm an old GSM fan, but I've been using a Verizon 700p for the past two months. The inability to change devices via a SIM and to use it internationally float around in the back of my head as trouble waiting to happen, but the coverage has been exceptional. In my local area I haven't been anyplace that doesn't have EVDO coverage.

On the other hand, I've been trying Cingular the past week with an HTC TyTN which has UMTS/HSPDA support. Although Cingular coverage in general seems excellent in my local area and their map shows UMTS available in the same areas, their 3G coverage is pathetic compared to Verizon. For example, in my house I can't get UMTS downstairs or outside. I can sometimes get it on the second floor. None of the stores/malls/etc I have been in seem to get UMTS. At work, I can get UMTS on the third floor but not second or first floor. Everyone one of these situations have good/excellent Verizon reception with EVDO.

I'm still very interested in the 750, but I'm very impressed with the Verizon network. What good is a cool device, if I can't use the new capabilities due to lack of network coverage?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    ...I guess the only reason to go GSM is if you travel internationally and need the ability to use your phone...
    Another reason is that GSM phones typically get much better battery life.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    Another reason is that GSM phones typically get much better battery life.
    True
    1. The WM 750 will offer true multitasking, allowing you to surf the web while on the phone, which you can't do with the 700p.

2. GSM is better than CDMA if you travel internationally.

3. Removal of pesky antenna, and possibly slightly thinner form factor.

Those are 3 very good reasons to buy a 750 instead of a 700p. The higher screen resolution on the 700p is attractive, but that is the ONLY advantage it has right now. PalmOS is hopelessly handicapped by its inability to multitask.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDs10e
    1. The WM 750 will offer true multitasking, allowing you to surf the web while on the phone, which you can't do with the 700p.

2. GSM is better than CDMA if you travel internationally.

3. Removal of pesky antenna, and possibly slightly thinner form factor.

Those are 3 very good reasons to buy a 750 instead of a 700p. The higher screen resolution on the 700p is attractive, but that is the ONLY advantage it has right now. PalmOS is hopelessly handicapped by its inability to multitask.
    1. Do keep in mind that multitasking isn't the only reason why you can be online and on the phone at the same time. GSM technology allows for simultaneous data and voice transfer, and WM multitasking can take advantage of that. The 700w can multitask, but CDMA's 1xEv-DO technology doesn't allow simultaneous voice and data transfer, so you can't be on the phone and online at the same time, unless using a wifi card.

2. Very true, CDMA international roaming rates are ridiculous.

3. Eh I'm not sure if many people will see the removal of the antenna as a big reason to upgrade, there are some that even prefer the antenna there.

Personally, I think the two most important factors to consider in the 700p vs. 750 decision are the carrier and OS of choice. Let's say you want to get Cingular, but UMTS/HSDPA isn't available in your area, you'd probably benefit more from getting a Sprint 700p if you have good Ev-DO coverage in your area.
    Different battery. I have 3 batteries in total, since I can't sell my 650. It's a good thing to reuse your old accessories.

I been saying I want a 650 upgrade since I got a 650. At the time everybody expected a WM5 Treo and that's it. I see the 700p as guesture of Palm sticking to its old customers. I got to put money where my mouth is pick up the PalmOS version.
    Last edited by whatever7; 08/11/2006 at 05:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDs10e
    I think you're confusing multitasking with simultaneous voice and data. Palm OS can't do simultaneous voice and data, but it can multitask in a limited sort of way. After all, I can be on the phone and make an appointment in my calendar at the same time.
    sprint
    evdo
    current contract
    cheaper data
    faster data
    sero plan
    antenna is good for removing dingle berries
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyDee
    I think you're confusing multitasking with simultaneous voice and data. Palm OS can't do simultaneous voice and data, but it can multitask in a limited sort of way. After all, I can be on the phone and make an appointment in my calendar at the same time.
    Well even it's limited multitasking wouldn't allow it to transfer voice and data at the same time. There's two parts to simultaneous voice and data transfer on a phone.

1. The cell phone technology (GSM or CDMA) has to support simultaneous voice and data transfer. Currently, CDMA doesn't support this. GSM does support this I believe, with UMTS and HSDPA.

2. The phone's OS has to be able to process voice and data at the same time. WM, due to it's multitasking nature, can handle voice and data (allowing you to be online with wifi and be on the phone at the same time). PalmOS's limited multitasking won't allow for the simultaneous transfer of voice and data.

In this case, the 750 meets both requirements, allowing it to do voice and data transfer at the same time.
    I prefer PalmOS over WM, so the 700p is a better choice for me.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    THe 700p will probbly be the fastest network running PalmOS Treo, so in that it would be a good buy. For those wanting PalmOS, can do CDMA and will never get out of the US, then the 700p is a nice buy (pending the first ROM update according to some).

However, if you want the lates and greatest, and the ability to world hop with your Treo, you need a GSM phone, one that supports at least HSDPA here and in the EU, and a differnt OS as PalmOS isnt well recieved outside the US (hey we are home of legacy everything and so why not our handhelds too).

Personally speaking, while the 750 will be a heck of a nice buy, its my guess that the Nitro/650 Next would do well for Palm on a worldwide scale as it essentially would be the best GSM and palmOS response that could be done. Unless the folks Palm is going after really care about broadband in your pocket, Palm could essentially have a winner in the same form they did with the Tungsten E.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    1) 750 does not exist

2) EvDO is more affordable than HSDPA (via SERO)

3) I prefer POS over WM5

4) 750 will have smaller battery

5) antenna gives you something to grab onto
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Having used the 6700, I have to say the multi-tasking is good, but the "surf the web while an app makes coffee and chews gum" argument is extremely overstated.

In my experience, a decent web experience on WM can only be had with NetFront, and doing ANYTHING while downloading a web page in NetFront, while feasible, is a slow and painful task.

(Not that downloading a page in NF isn't disappointingly slow itself with nothing running in the background.)
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    750 does exist. There has already been oficial postings all over the internet regarding it's release in Europe (750v). Go educate yourself before posting ignorant comments.
    This INCLUDES the Vodafone website.
    If you can't buy it then it effectively doesn't exist.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    If you can't buy it then it effectively doesn't exist.
    Thank you...
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast