Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    There seems to be some confusion brought on by this article.

The article that was sighted at the beginning of this thread states that the 700W has only 32MB of memory when in fact it has 128.

http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...00w/specs.html

I could not figure out why people were saying that there is twice the memory. I am guessing the original author got it confused with a 650.

This is the exact same device that came out on Verizon....only it's Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treodoctor

The article that was sighted at the beginning of this thread states that the 700W has only 32MB of memory when in fact it has 128.

I could not figure out why people were saying that there is twice the memory. I am guessing the original author got it confused with a 650.

Are you kidding? 32MB is the true RAM, 128 MB is the flash RAM (like ROM). People here are asking if the 700WX has 64MB true RAM. It seems you have no idea at all.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron
    It seems you have no idea at all.

Surur
    Same phone but different logo on it? No thanks.

I think you may be slightly confused. Windows Mobile devices have two types have memory, RAM and flash ROM. The flash ROM is persistent storage and this is where the user installs apps, stores data, etc and all the information stored in this memory is safe if lose battery power. Think of the flash ROM as the hard drive on a computer. In addition to the flash ROM, Windows Mobile devices also have RAM which is exclusively used for currently running programs (just like on a laptop/desktop). Most Windows Mobile devices have 128 megs of flash ROM (just like the Treo 700W) as well as 64 megs of RAM. The 700W, however, only has 32 megs of RAM resulting in it not being able to run several programs at one time and of course, multitasking is one of the key features of any Windows Mobile device. In addition, the low amount of RAM also has caused issues for others causing them to have to soft reset throughout the day to gain back RAM so that the device will run stable and at a reasonable speed. What this thread is about is the possibility that the Sprint 700wx may in fact have 128 ROM/64 RAM (as opposed to the 128 ROM/32 RAM of the Verizon 700W) and this would address one of the large issues with the 700W. In fact, if you take a look at one of the stories on the front page of this site "Woe is Me(mory)", you will see the purpose of that article is to detail ways to deal with the 32 RAM problem in the 700W.

IMO, this is just another example of Palm trying to cut corners. They knew 32 megs of RAM would be seen as not enough, especially by the power users so I think they intentionally left out that information in the specs and instead chose to advertise the amount of flash ROM in the 700W for storing programs, which is nice to have all that space but what good is it if you don't have the RAM to run those programs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin02
    I think you may be slightly confused. Windows Mobile devices have two types have memory, RAM and flash ROM. The flash ROM is persistent storage and this is where the user installs apps, stores data, etc and all the information stored in this memory is safe if lose battery power. Think of the flash ROM as the hard drive on a computer. In addition to the flash ROM, Windows Mobile devices also have RAM which is exclusively used for currently running programs (just like on a laptop/desktop). Most Windows Mobile devices have 128 megs of flash ROM (just like the Treo 700W) as well as 64 megs of RAM. The 700W, however, only has 32 megs of RAM resulting in it not being able to run several programs at one time and of course, multitasking is one of the key features of any Windows Mobile device. In addition, the low amount of RAM also has caused issues for others causing them to have to soft reset throughout the day to gain back RAM so that the device will run stable and at a reasonable speed. What this thread is about is the possibility that the Sprint 700wx may in fact have 128 ROM/64 RAM (as opposed to the 128 ROM/32 RAM of the Verizon 700W) and this would address one of the large issues with the 700W. In fact, if you take a look at one of the stories on the front page of this site "Woe is Me(mory)", you will see the purpose of that article is to detail ways to deal with the 32 RAM problem in the 700W.

IMO, this is just another example of Palm trying to cut corners. They knew 32 megs of RAM would be seen as not enough, especially by the power users so I think they intentionally left out that information in the specs and instead chose to advertise the amount of flash ROM in the 700W for storing programs, which is nice to have all that space but what good is it if you don't have the RAM to run those programs!

Ahhh...so it was me that was confused. I'm a Mac/POS guy so that's my excuse.

We have sold very few 700W's mainly due to a lack of interest but now I understand what you are talking about because I get so many people complaining about it.

I should have the new one's in soon so I will know then.

And thank you for explaining this without being a ***** about it.
    Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but remember back in the day when Palm would just add an X to an existing device when they increased the memory. V went VX, III went to IIIxe, VII went to VIIx
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    didn't notice...........but very interesting indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin02

very good explanation

Plus the specs are out for the 700wx located here and it's obvious that it does have more memory (no wifi though).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waynew73
    Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but remember back in the day when Palm would just add an X to an existing device when they increased the memory. V went VX, III went to IIIxe, VII went to VIIx
    This is very true! Good catch......

Palm V - 2MB Palm VX - 8MB
    Palm III - 2MB Palm IIIxe - 8MB
    Palm VII - 2MB Palm VIIIx - 8MB

Treo 700w - 32MB Treo 700wx - 64MB
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    I'm holding one in my hand right now.

Just turned on:

Program Memory: 57.45
    In use: 9.38
    Free: 48.07
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta
    Plus the specs are out for the 700wx located here and it's obvious that it does have more memory (no wifi though).
    But what authority does that site have. Its just a site. If it was the FCC then it would be different.

Surur
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts

Just turned on:

Pictures!!!! Screen shots! Com'on shoe us somthing!!!!! Take a picture of the box...... the phone somthing!!!!

Can I buy one from you......
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    My Phone history.....

Just turned on:

Common, you can't spill the beans without evidents.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Wow, the Treo 700w would go from the device with the least amount of memory free to the one with the most!

Surur
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Wow, the Treo 700w would go from the device with the least amount of memory free to the one with the most!

Surur
    True..... it is more than my PPC 6700!
    My Phone history.....
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I would give up wifi for that device, if not for the 240x240. As it is I'm going to have to see it before I make that decision. I have a Treo 650 that could use an upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    I would give up wifi for that device, if not for the 240x240. As it is I'm going to have to see it before I make that decision. I have a Treo 650 that could use an upgrade.
    With 64 MB ram the Treo 700w now no longer has any fundamental deficiencies ie. its no longer "crippled". Its underspecified in some ways compared to other devices, but on the other hand it has a much larger battery than most competing devices and a much loved form factor, in other words, its now a contender

Surur

Just turned on:

Why does the wx use less memory at startup? That would mean 16+MB at startup on the w.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast