Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    had a black tie edition in my hand. god, that thingy is an object of desire.

of about a 2 years old technology ...

would that prevent anybody from buying it?

I mean, will the next GSM model be that revolutionary?

faster BT would be nice though. tough decision ahead.
    How do you plan on making bluetooth faster? Unless they're developing a standard not known to me, bluetooth is sticking with the speeds it has now for awhile. If you haven't noticed by now, Palm based smartphones tend to be evolutionary, not revolutionary. From pre-smartphone (90) to it's demise (300) Handspring used the same form factor, biggest change was from the 180 to the 270 when a color screen was included. Then the 600 to 700, again, same form factor. A revolutionary Palm device is rare from these companies, but of course if you Googled you'd know that...

Quote Originally Posted by cyber
    had a black tie edition in my hand. god, that thingy is an object of desire.

of about a 2 years old technology ...

would that prevent anybody from buying it?

I mean, will the next GSM model be that revolutionary?

faster BT would be nice though. tough decision ahead.
    For whatever reason, GSM carriers are slow to get the latest treos.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    For whatever reason, GSM carriers are slow to get the latest treos.
    you've got to keep in mind that the gsm devices are the last to come out because they take the longest to test as world phone. Think about it, how long do you think it would take before hackers across the world destroyed the treo 700 attempting to unlock it and the customer of what ever carrier decided to purchase it would want an unlocked phone. So not only are the treo being developed as phones that would work here but they would also need to make sure that the phones would truly be a quad band phone. Just my two cents

The only TREO VIDEO CAST on the internet!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwarn3rd
    you've got to keep in mind that the gsm devices are the last to come out because they take the longest to test as world phone. Think about it, how long do you think it would take before hackers across the world destroyed the treo 700 attempting to unlock it and the customer of what ever carrier decided to purchase it would want an unlocked phone. So not only are the treo being developed as phones that would work here but they would also need to make sure that the phones would truly be a quad band phone. Just my two cents

There are CDMA networks outside of the US... For example, Reliance (one of the largest companies in India after Tata) has a CDMA network (as well as a GSM one) where you can activate a 650. So I don't think the problem is that the GSM Treo is a "world phone".

I don't understand what you mean by a "truely quad band phone". A phone is either quad band or it's not, there's no in between...

The 700w hasn't come to GSM yet because Verizon bought six months of exclusivity. I'm not sure about the 700p, but as t2gungho said, for some reason GSM carriers are last to get the latest Treo's. I remember when everyone was dying for the 600 to go to GSM...

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    For example, Reliance has a CDMA network (as well as a GSM one) where you can activate a 650.
    Eh? Any pointers on how to go about this? Can they activate a 700p? or any other phone?
    I'm not quite sure how, but I have a few relatives that have done it...

The next GSM phone would have to be HSDPA capable one would think and it seems Cingular has stalled in its rollout. So I have I have to wonder, what feature would there be to make people buy a Nitro / Lennon in there until there's more infrastructure for HSDPPA ?
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    How do you plan on making bluetooth faster? Unless they're developing a standard not known to me, bluetooth is sticking with the speeds it has now for awhile.

Bluetooth 2.0 EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) is faster than 1.2. I can promise you the next Treo will not have this.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    Bluetooth 2.0 EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) is faster than 1.2. I can promise you the next Treo will not have this.
    the 650 doesnt even have 1.2, its still 1.1
    Sure but the 700 has 1.2 right?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I'm sorry, I wasn't clear on what I was saying. 1.x is up to 720kbps and 2.0 EDR is up to 2.1Mbps.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    the original question was if the 650 is obsolete or not.

if the beautiful black tie package hides a geriatric mobile phone technology.

suggestions please!
    You were serious about that? If you searched you would know the only real difference is aesthetics...

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    you're such a wiseass frozencode.

your replies serve nobody and nothing in here. while others are helpful, the only thing you do is elaborate on the obvious.

quiet now.
    That's my job, I am here to annoy people, only on the side to serve to provide as much technical know how as I can...

I'm not going to start a flame war, so I will say this and leave this thread. I can be very helpful, especially to people who don't waste my time by not searching. It is unneccessary for anyone, including me, to repost the same information over and over. I do my part by Googling and searching before I post, I expect that of others as well. And this is not an unreasonable request, especially since it's in the TOS as well. And on top of this you insult my intelligence... you're batting 0 for 2 here buddy. I agree with you, I'm an *** sometimes, but guess what, it's people like you who contribute to that attitude through your actions.