1.    #1  
    TC Community,

I apologize for the sensational title, but I've had a very bad experience with Palm and I need your help.

I recently purchased a 700p and decided to take advantage of Palm's trade-in offer which is being managed by a company called Market Velocity. I sent in an unlocked GSM 650 and an unlocked GSM 600. My trade-in was denied because I purchased my 700p from Verizon and not from Palm directly. That's my fault...I did not read the fine print...no problem. I assumed that upon denial of my trade-in my Treos would be sent back to me, but after a month and no return shipment I called Market Velocity. Apparently, since it had been a month since I received the trade-in denial e-mail they could not guarantee that my Treo's were still in their warehouse. I was told that I would not be receiving them back.

I asked to speak with a manager and I was forwarded to a voicemail box. I'd say there's approximately a 0% chance I'll get a call back. Do I have any recourse here? Should I write Palm? Should I threaten legal action? We're only talking about $200 in value here, but the principle is what has me so wound up.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adrian
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I would call back every hour until I spoke with a person or had a call returned. I would call Palm CS and complain, I would send e-mail to both also.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    It would be best to contact Palm. Send an E-Mail to Palm and cc a copy to Market Velocity as well.

Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Wow Adrian, seems that you're NOT ALONE! Another poster has the same exact issue: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=121298. You guys should buddy up and fight!
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    should be an easy case in small claims court. actually collecting would be difficult though.

you absolutely must let Palm know though.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Better Business Bureau and attorney general's office would be my route...es[pecially with the other poster.....class action !
    please keep me informed on what should happen with this as we speak on this promotion on a daily basis

The only TREO VIDEO CAST on the internet!!!
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    call them and ask for the name and title of whoever you speak to because "you will need it for your filing with the Attorney General in your state, as well as any state they do business". Explain that the filings are done on the web, and take no longer than 5 minutes. Ask them for the name and title of the manager of the program for your filing as well. Explain that you've made numerous attempts to resolve and have not received a response, so you will give them 48 more hours to contact you directly before you start the filing process. After you file, they will need to deal with the AG with respect ot wire fraud, mail fraud, internet fraud and every other option you can find.

You'll be surprised at the quick response
    Last edited by pabo; 08/03/2006 at 08:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    call them and ask for the name and title of whoever you speak to because "you will need it for your filing with the Attorney General in your state, as well as any state they do business". Explain that the filings are done on the web, and take no longer than 5 minutes. Ask them for the name and title of the manager of the program for your filing as well. Explain that you've made numerous attempts to resolve and have not received a response, so you will give them 48 more hours to contact you directly before you start the filing process. After you file, they will need to deal with the AG with respect ot wire fraud, mail fraud, internet fraud and every other option you can find.

You'll be surprised at the quick response
    not necessarilly. they lost my T5 that I sent back/had no record of it. Even with FedEx's signature it took 3 months, at least half a dozen calls, two FedEx delivered letters and finally a call to a VP at Palm to resolve the issue. Palm's customer service is by far the worst and most systemically poor tech support I have ever encountered.

If the poster sent back two Treo's and didn't read the print or obiligations, I'm sure Palm has language that it isn't responsible for tracking or mailing back improperly received shipments. If I mail them my watch are they responsible for making sure it's returned to me? Not likely.

Palm hasn't stolen anything. The poster made the error and thinks it's Palm's responsibility.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    disagree - terms and conditions do not protect them absolutely. If their 25 pages of fine print terms say they get title to your house if you ship the unit improperly, are they allowed to follow through on that ? No.

If the sender was acting in good faith, they are expected to act in good faith, especially with something of significant value.

the point is that if you want to get someone's attention, they need to understand they could be personally liable, or at least as inconvenienced as you are.

I got shafted by the Palm-paysback program - they sent me a gift certificate that had already expired. 1 hour of run-around was enough for me. When I suggested they could be guilty of mail fraud, I got a prompt response. Their terms said I would get a certificate, I'm sure they did not specifically state a "valid" certificate. Should I have just dropped the issue ?
    Wow you got an expired gift card? WTF!? Can you tell me what card was it. I am going to get a card from the pay back program too.
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    disagree - terms and conditions do not protect them absolutely. If their 25 pages of fine print terms say they get title to your house if you ship the unit improperly, are they allowed to follow through on that ? No.

If the sender was acting in good faith, they are expected to act in good faith, especially with something of significant value.
    Agree and understand that, but the language is clear that the program is for people who purchased from Palm. I'm willing to bet the poster here didn't read the terms and conditions at all prior to mailing in the treos and palm shouldn't be held responsible for people that can't comply with the simplest of procedures. The terms and conditions are a very simple two page document. Of course they don't protect absolutely, but a full meeting of the minds isn't required either. His language that they've "stolen" is rediculous, in my opinion.

from Trade-in procedures paragraph
    To participate in the Program, you must submit to Powertrade, LLC an accurate description of the product that you wish to trade in. In addition, you must ship the product using the pre-addressed, prepaid shipping label provided (please see Shipping Instructions). You must include your purchase receipt (invoice) for your new Palm handheld or Treo smartphone from Palm.com in the box with your trade-in product. Purchases must be made at the Palm.com web store only. Purchases can be made either 30 days prior to or 30 days following the date you receive your Trade-In Confirmation email with your assigned Quote number. Your proof of purchase from Palm.com must be received within 30 days from the date you received your Trade-In Confirmation email.
    Last edited by littlewaywelt; 08/11/2006 at 09:56 AM.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Stolen IS the wrong term - you are correct.

However, a fee for processing a return AND returning the items might be the most reasonable response for both parties.