Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Of note is that negotiations for the WM Treo started in 2004 already. They had lost confidence in the success of PalmOS and the capabilities of PalmSource even then.
    Your conclusion from sentence 1 to 2 flies in the face of everything stated in the 10k report. Did all the PC manufacturers "lose confidence" in Intel when they started selling PC's with AMD chips ? Did IBM "lose confidence" in MS when it started shipping Linux hardware ? Did palm lose confidence in HTC when they started having other OEM's build the things ? Or all those just instances of smart business sense in not "putting all ya eggs in one basket" ?

Palm is in the business of satusfying the most customers it can....some will prefer WM5, some will prefer POS in whatever flavor. Palm is simply hedging its bets by "offering choice"....and as they have stated unequivocally, they remain committed to offering that choice.....good idea to considering the Treo 700w just took top spots in the "Most Disapointing Technology Products of 2006" from both PC Magazine and ABC News.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    I have seen bad reviews of the 700w.
    I thot it was kinda harsh for PC Mag (and ABC news) to put it in the "Top Technology Disappointments of 2006" after saying it was the best WM5 device ever. But then again, withe xpectations so high, I don't think WM had a shot.

But give Bill and Ed (Bill and Ed's Excellent Adventure ) some time to tweak it out, for Palm to get more of their "zen of palm" useability enhancements in there....and maybe get Bill to let go of some of his insistence on "bundling" and it could be a top notch device.
    Or maybe just add industry standards 64MB RAM and WIFI.

Surur
    Jack has a good point, some people are huge fans of the WM and some just love POS.

I think the same applies to the Linux vs Windows war.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Your conclusion from sentence 1 to 2 flies in the face of everything stated in the 10k report. Did all the PC manufacturers "lose confidence" in Intel when they started selling PC's with AMD chips ? Did IBM "lose confidence" in MS when it started shipping Linux hardware ? Did palm lose confidence in HTC when they started having other OEM's build the things ? Or all those just instances of smart business sense in not "putting all ya eggs in one basket" ?
    Agreed. All the major UK supermarket chains now sell clothes and petrol. Does this mean they've lost confidence in selling groceries? Of course not! Expansion doesn't *necessarily* imply loss of faith in the core business.

On the other hand, Palm must have seen the Cobalt debacle and consequent switching to linux by PalmSource and worried about the future of the OS - and it seems reasonable to conclude that this was a factor in their deciding to go with WM as well as Palm OS. I guess you could call this a loss of confidence. I don't think it means Palm has given up on Palm OS; perhaps they're just waiting to see how ALP or their own linux-based OS turns out. As you say, if that egg goes bad, it's good to have another in the basket.
    Well, all the petrol stations now have supermarkets attached to them, from which they derive the majority of their profit. Its safe to say that they lost confidence in making a living from only selling petrol, and were glad they expanded their business.

You are right that expansion does not immediately imply loss of confidence, but thats only true if the expansion remains in the same line of business as before. If you expand into a different line it implies you feel you can make a greater return on investment outside your core business, or have exhausted the growth potential of your business itself.

Surur
    Expansion does not necesssarily imply a loss of confidence at all. A company usually expands into a new area because there is an opportunity for growth that the previous area did not allow. It may have nothing at all to do with any confidence or lack of in the previous area. You are using very questionable logic to support your assertions about the superiority of WM5. WM5 is "technically" better than Palm OS, but still is terrible in the usability area because Microsoft just doesn't get it. Until they realize that cramming a desktop experience (and not the best desktop experience at that) into a handheld isn't the goal, then the usability of WM will continue to suck. Based on past behavior they will never get it. Many areas of of WM5 (like say the PIM apps) suck just as bad as the very first release of PocketPC.

Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Well, all the petrol stations now have supermarkets attached to them, from which they derive the majority of their profit. Its safe to say that they lost confidence in making a living from only selling petrol, and were glad they expanded their business.

You are right that expansion does not immediately imply loss of confidence, but thats only true if the expansion remains in the same line of business as before. If you expand into a different line it implies you feel you can make a greater return on investment outside your core business, or have exhausted the growth potential of your business itself.

Surur
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I never said WM is more than technically better, and I agree that MS does not seem to "get" usability it all. Its just that, being on the geeky side, I can live with a poor interface, as I appreciate the technical aspects more.

Unfortunately Palm tried to improve WM5, but made it techically worse (too little ram and no wifi). For an OS who's main advantages is technical, its a real shame to cripple it. That only leaves the so-so usability, no wonder its selling poorly.

Surur
    Let's not forget Palm was a PDA maker......this whole phone thing is still new to them....they, welll Handspring (but since Donna / Jeff did the Palm / handspring / palm thing it really is the same bunch of peeps) first expanded their market by putting a phone in a PDA on the first place. I would guess that at least half of the 700w's sold were to peeps who would not have bought a 700p but might have bought a BB or other WM product that ties into Exchange Server...so while sales may not be up to expectations, I think it's still a smart move.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123