Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk
    On a slightly different tack, are there any existing WM phones that support 480x480 (or anything else better than 320x320 for that matter)?
    As far as I know (which may not be too much when it comes to smartphones), the Treo is the only smartphone with a square screen, all other devices have rectangular screens, and couldn't make use of a 480x480 resolution. A better question would be are there any WM phones (apart from the 700w) that have square screens?

And here's another phone that has a VGA display: The Sharp W-Zero3
    Quote Originally Posted by temna
    Wait a sec.. The cost of R&D for a 320x320 driver would be more than the cost of having multiple hardware platforms and the R&D involved in having to design different hardware for WM5 and Palm devices? I don't see the R&D on the driver being that much. There are 240x240 and 480x480 drivers already. Seems to be fairly simple to make a 320x320 driver with the existing code. I may be over simpliying it, but they already have those codes, how hard could it be to modify it? Isn't there software out there that can already do this? I know about that hack that makes everything on the VGA models go to VGA resolution.. Can it really be that hard to do 320x320???

Here's the deal. My name is Bill and I own the WM OS so you don't get to touch it except for UI customizations....but I will be happy to let you pay me $250,000 to write the code. But even tho you paid for it, I will own it and I can sell / license it to anyone I want.

The way I see it, why should Palm pay for it only to give it's competitors a leg up on competing with the 700p ?
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    Next time read. That's a very small laptop with a phone function, which I'm fully aware of.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Article
    HTC Universal is the first Windows Mobile 5.0 powered mobile phone and it is also the first 3G/UMTS phone powered by Windows Mobile.
    I did read...the first line

Where did you get the idea that it was a very small laptop?! It's not even based on an x86 or x64 architecture... the processor is an IXP!! What kind of laptop runs on an XScale architecture? Hell even the OQO's emulate x86....

Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    My point is that it's not, primarily, a phone. It has a phone function, but so does my (full size) laptop - I don't carry it with me when I go for a walk though, and I suspect that most HTC Universal users don't either, they have another phone for that.
    My point is that it's not, primarily, a phone.
    So? It's still a phone is it not? If this phone is a laptop, then according to your logic, so is the 6700 and the Treo. They all have very similar features, with the major differences being form factor and operating system.

It has a phone function, but so does my (full size) laptop - I don't carry it with me when I go for a walk though, and I suspect that most HTC Universal users don't either, they have another phone for that.
    Why would you assume that? That's like saying most Treo owners don't normally take their Treos for a walk, they use other phones. There's no reason why someone couldn't use the HTC Universal as their main phone and take it everywhere they'd take a regular flip phone or a Treo. And what kind of laptop do you have that can operate as a cell phone?

I hope you're not trying to talk about the size either, because it's not that much bigger than a Treo.
    My point is that it's not, primarily, a phone. It has a phone function, but so does my (full size) laptop - I don't carry it with me when I go for a walk though, and I suspect that most HTC Universal users don't either, they have another phone for that.

So the Treo is not, primarily, a phone? The Nokia 9300 is not, primarily, a phone? If you had gone on and read (like you told ME to) you would have seen that it is very close to the same size as the Treo. That set aside, your full size laptop has x86 architecture and runs Windows or Linux, and most importantly it's not an embedded system.

Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    I hope you're not trying to talk about the size either, because it's not that much bigger than a Treo.
    Size and form factor - I don't see how it could easily be used as a phone, without a desk or 2 hands free... Of course it's a matter of opinion, but I still suspect that most users have anothe phone for "regular" use too.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    And what kind of laptop do you have that can operate as a cell phone?[/url]
    Any one with a data card that supports mobile phone functions. But I never said "cell", so I suppose even a desktop with Skype would count
    Can you define mobile phone functions. You use that term VERY loosely. I thought it was a given that a mobile phone uses voice channels. A desktop with Skype emulates an IP phone. They are two different things (hint: Use google.).

He's using the term losely because he know's he was wrong in calling the HTC Universal a mini laptop, so he bends the words to support his arguement.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    I just think that something that's more than twice the size of a treo whewn opened out so you can use the keyboard is too big for an everyday mobile phone. You must have bigger pockets than I do - would you carry one??

It looks more like a subnotebook with phone function to me.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    I thought it was a given that a mobile phone uses voice channels. A desktop with Skype emulates an IP phone.
    To perform the same functions. With VOIP (at least in the UK - the company I use is http://www.gradwell.com/ - and I meant to say VOIP not Skype) you can have a regular phone number, and call in and out just like a wired or mobile phone.
    But VoIP is a software replacement for a phone. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $it$ $does$ $not$ $operate$ $in$ $any$ $way$ $similar$ $to$ $a$ $regular$ $phone$. $Example$: $The$ $Treo$ $is$ $hardware$ $which$ $uses$ $voice$ $channels$ $and$ $either$ $the$ $CDMA$ $or$ $TDMA$ $protocol$. $VoIP$ $is$ $software$ $which$ $uses$ $data$ $and$ $the$ $TCP$/$IP$ $protocols$. $I$ $can$'$t$ $agree$ $with$ $your$ $post$.

As far as the size, I'm sure you don't have to open the device to make a call, it probably has a dialpad feature similar to the Treo. With your argument, the Nokia 9300 would also be a "notebook".

I just think that something that's more than twice the size of a treo whewn opened out so you can use the keyboard is too big for an everyday mobile phone. You must have bigger pockets than I do - would you carry one??

It looks more like a subnotebook with phone function to me.
    Why would the size of my pockets and the size of the phone when opened matter? Why would i put it in my pockets when it's open? When closed, it's not that much bigger than the Treo..... And what does the size matter? The earliest cell phones that came out were probably bigger than that

Just because it flips open like a notebook, doesn't mean it's a notebook. Otherwise, according to your notebook, the HTC Apache and Wizard are also subnotebooks, which they definately aren't.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    I just love the fact that my thread has been hijacked.. Thank you all for your valuable input, which amounts to so much crap..
    Unlocked Treo 650 (Nov 05) BTW: T-Zones sux!
    Sorry, you never posted anything back. You suggested the hardware, I suggested software, others discussed the business side of it... what more do you want? Like I said, on the software side we can do signal processing math and write a function which takes a "mode" as a parameter and tells the device how to modulate the signal. I'm definitely not a hardware guy, so I don't know the viability of the hardware. But as others pointed out, marketing would shoot it down. Palm would lose more money than they saved in unifying the device.

So would you like to offer any more input or can we go back to our useless crap?

Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by temna
    I just love the fact that my thread has been hijacked.. Thank you all for your valuable input, which amounts to so much crap..
    Your thread would be dead had it not been hijacked. This has been discussed indepth many times over, a simple search could have produced results and avoided the entire thread being posted.

The Universal is only slightly larger than the PPC-6700 and the Treo line. Opened it takes up more space, but the functionality of it are almost limitless. If this was a US phone (US 3G radio and 850MHz band) I would own one. The size is a moot point when you have a bluetooth headset. My slacks can easily hold my Treo or my 6700, so I am sure this would fit in there easily. If it is too big to take to the beach or whever, just grab a smaller form factor phone to swap out when you go to these places. If you can afford one of these you can afford another cheapie phone so I don't want to hear about buying 2 devices. Also I think quite a few people use these as their primary device. Surur comes to mind and I am sure there are other just on here.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    Opened it takes up more space, but the functionality of it are almost limitless.
    It's a wonderful and desirable device, but in my opinion, it's too large to be considered sensible as just a phone. If it were just a phone, would anyone buy it, at any price?

The size is a moot point when you have a bluetooth headset.
    So if I use a BT headphone with VOIP on a laptop it's as convenient as carrying a regular mobile phone?

I'm not trying to disparage the Universal, there are circumstances where it would make sense to carry that one device rather than a regular phone and another device, but I still contend that no-one would buy it to use primarily as a phone.

On the other hand, I do know people who have bought Treos just for that, and use just a tiny fraction of the PDA functionality, and none of the internet ability at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    That is why when I talk to GSM users, they sometimes sound like they are in Afghanistan, and CDMA users sound like they are on a landline, or they just drop a call.
    For the record - this happens in reverse situation. When I talk to CDMA customers, call quality sucks. When I talk to other Cingular/T-Mo users, sounds like a landline conversation. GSM and CDMA use different voice encoding technologies.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phattysalz
    For the record - this happens in reverse situation. When I talk to CDMA customers, call quality sucks. When I talk to other Cingular/T-Mo users, sounds like a landline conversation. GSM and CDMA use different voice encoding technologies.
    GSM should sound more real to life. CDMA should sound clearer.

So if I use a BT headphone with VOIP on a laptop it's as convenient as carrying a regular mobile phone?
    NO. That is not the same. The laptop would always have to be on and have an open net connection. The standby battery life would be measured in hours instead of days. You can't easily holster a laptop or toss it into your slacks. If it requires VOIP, it isn't a cell phone. If it can use VOIP, it could be a cell phone.

I didn't say you had to use an earpiece I said you could if size was a concern. When was the last time you held a notebook to your face and talked into? The phone isn't much larger than a Treo or Apache or Wizard. Certainly not larger than the older G1000 (thicker maybe).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast