Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    From PDA24/7
    http://www.clieuk.co.uk/forum/showth...?threadid=7241

Termination of the Palm OS license, an adverse change in our relationship with PalmSource or Access, failure by PalmSource and Access to supply a competitive platform, retain employees or otherwise remain viable, or an unfavorable outcome in any material lawsuit involving the Palm OS, could harm our business. Additionally, we are contractually obligated to make a minimum annual payment to PalmSource for the contract year ending December 2, 2006, regardless of the volume of devices we sell containing the Palm OS.

Contemporaneously with the license agreement, we entered into a co-development agreement with PalmSource to develop a next-generation Palm OS for use in future Palm products. PalmSource did not timely meet certain of the milestones under the co-development agreement, relieving us of our obligation to make minimum royalty payments under the license agreement after calendar year 2006. We are presently in negotiations with PalmSource to expand our development and distribution rights to the current version of the Palm OS. If we are unable to successfully conclude these negotiations, it may adversely affect our ability to develop and distribute new products based on a next-generation version of the Palm OS. Regardless, we will continue to release new products based on the current version of the Palm OS.

Coming from this document:
    http://investor.palm.com/secfiling.c...3125-06-155911

WTF is going on????

Al
  2.    #2  
    So is this document saying that Palm doesn't know yet if they are making new devices using the new ALP OS? and that if their negotiations with Access fail they might get stuck on the old OS 5? WTF??? I sounds more like the Palm OS is about to die and not because of sales, but because of stupid negotiations between Palm and Access. @%#@#!@#$@#$!.....!!!! >-(

Al
    means = there goes so much hope for the next Palm OS.

P.O.S
    R.I.P
    Dec 2, 2006.

I'[m sure its not that bad. It just means Palm does not like ALP. We all expect them to be making PalmLinux in any case. I just wonder how much of Garnet they will be able to carry over to PalmLinux, due to IP issues.

Surur
    Palm is not in control of its own destiny. "The" essential differentiating feature to Palm devices (the operating system) isn't theirs and they can't predict that they'll be able to continue using it, or at least at a reasonable price.

No wonder they're running like crazy to switch over to WM5 devices--at least Microsoft is likely to actually produce an OS, unlike (apparently) Palmsource. Whether you LIKE the WM5 OS is quite another matter.
  6.    #6  
    I think this news might affect Palm stock. If Palm is working on their own version of the Palm Linux why can't they just say it? All we know is that Palm is hiring Linux developers, but it could be that they are just having them to customize the Access ALP OS and not to actually create an OS. Palm, your are pissing me off...

Al
    I was at a Verizon store a couple of days ago. Played with the 700w and the 700p. (I'm a 650 owner on T-Mobile). The difference in user experience between WM5 and the PalmOS is profound.

The Palm OS user interface is the secret weapon. If Palm loses the key competitive advantage they have, then the company becomes just an undercapitalized phone manufacturer with diminishing market share and management that could not (apparently) hit the ground with an egg if you squeezed the chicken for them.

Palm's executives chose this doomed path when they decided to split the company into hardware and software. Some genius consultant, no doubt, told them to do it. Or a stock pimp. And they were dumb enough and short-sighted enough to do it.

Now they're in a position of having to ask someone else the equivalent of "Please may I have some air to breathe?"

Imagine if Apple had adopted the same brilliant strategic forward-looking business restructuring that Palm's executives chose. We'd have no Apple. And we will (I think) have no Palm in a while.

Oh, well.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    I'[m sure its not that bad. It just means Palm does not like ALP. We all expect them to be making PalmLinux in any case. I just wonder how much of Garnet they will be able to carry over to PalmLinux, due to IP issues.

Surur

Thats how I read it also Surur. It's down to how much IP they can move to Palm's own version of the next "palm os"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    The Palm OS user interface is the secret weapon. If Palm loses the key competitive advantage they have, then the company becomes just an undercapitalized phone manufacturer with diminishing market share and management that could not (apparently) hit the ground with an egg if you squeezed the chicken for them.
    Read the 10K. It says they can continue Garnet all they want. What we are talking about here is palm moving to its own next gen OS.

Most of Palm's interface (such as the phone app, the favorites, blazer) are their own property. I'm not sure how much change they are looking at.

As I anticipated some time ago . . . i'm wondering if palm is trying to get the basic PIM apps.
    All negative news on palm since one and half years ago, WTF!!! Maybe we should better take a close at more appealing WM5....
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    You never know if Palm has been working on some OS stuff under the table. They could be going their own way. Suspicion only here, I just like keeping an eye on the company, their filings, PRPRPR $stuff$, $etc$. $but$ $I$ $wonder$ $if$ $Palm$ $wants$ $to$ $bring$ $their$ $own$ $OS$ $in$ $back$ $under$ $their$ $own$ $roof$. $IT$ $may$ $not$ $be$ $a$ $bad$ $idea$ $to$ $build$ $the$ $hardware$ $for$ $other$ $companies$' $OSes$ ($like$ $HTC$, $HP$, $etc$. $do$ $with$ $Windows$ $Mobile$ $smartphones$), $but$ $my$ $thinking$ $is$ $that$ $Palm$ $still$ $wants$ $to$ $differentiate$ $themselves$ $by$ $providing$ $a$ $unique$ $OS$ $for$ $their$ $hardware$, $even$ $if$ $they$ $continue$ $to$ $license$ $with$ $Windows$.
    WM or Symbian for me I guess.
    I'd rather know where I stand and get support.

now.. which of the two should I jump to?
    decisions, decisions....
    PalmSource has every incentive to reach an agreement with Palm. Who else uses Palm OS? If they don't license it to Palm, their revenue stream drops to zero.

Just like the Crackberry scare, it's all gamesmanship.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    PalmSource has every incentive to reach an agreement with Palm. Who else uses Palm OS? If they don't license it to Palm, their revenue stream drops to zero.

Yes, but Palm is only their only source of PalmOS revenue. They also make a lot of money from Netfront and their other network tools. They recently celebrated shipping 100 million browsers on mobile phones. They are well capitalized by DoCoMo, and have a near guaranteed customer for their new OS in them. Their software shipped in 721 products worldwide. They are an independent ambitious company not dependent on Palm.
    http://www.access.co.jp/english/ir/i...051220_001.pdf

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    Palm is not in control of its own destiny. "The" essential differentiating feature to Palm devices (the operating system) isn't theirs and they can't predict that they'll be able to continue using it, or at least at a reasonable price.
    Nokia is on Symbian and Linux
    Moto is on WM5 and Linux

What manufacturer is "in control of its own destiny" and how is Palm different than any other hardware vendor in this regard ? Palm does heavily tweak the OS of both its licensed (WM5 and Garnet) products.
    Who is in favor of having all Palm and Access execs locked in a hot room with no air conditioning, no food, no water, and no bathroom and forced to hash it out 'til they come up with a workable solution? Immediately? With 10 lashes with a bullwhip every hour 'til they "git 'er done!"?

And that's the mild, friendly solution.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb

Exactly right, meyer. If everyone will remember, Palm spun off the operating system portion of their business which was subsequently purchased by Access. But not before a contentious bidding war between Access and Palm, who realized almost immediately their mistake in selling off control of their only operating system. Palm lost the bidding war, spread their risk by introducing WM5 as an operating system and now are attempting to shape the Linux OS they want to use in the future. Since Access "has not met certain milestones", this gives Palm a bargaining chip.

Palm means to have a Linux OS that THEY can control, whether that means tough bargaining with Access or building in-house in parallel. That's why we are seeing reports of much higher than expected hiring for Linux programmers at Palm. Either way, Palm is trying to ensure they can offer an operating system that is under their control so they can differentiate themselves from being a just another hardware manufacturer. They don't have the scale to compete with the Nokias, Motorolas and Samsungs on hardware alone.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    OK, how about this consipracy theory:

Lots of new "tidbits" this week about an Apple iPhone and some rumors indicate we'll see some intro next week at the WWDC. Now we'v eheard of an Apple iPhone forever on the Mac rumor side of the planet, but now you've got this iPhone talk heating up and now this Palm talk. What abotu a Mobile OS X version of the Treo with an Apple look to it?

I'm goign to believe it because (1) there aren't many good Treo rumors around, and (2) I'm bored because of #1
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Yes, but Palm is only their only source of PalmOS revenue. They also make a lot of money from Netfront and their other network tools. They recently celebrated shipping 100 million browsers on mobile phones. They are well capitalized by DoCoMo, and have a near guaranteed customer for their new OS in them. Their software shipped in 721 products worldwide. They are an independent ambitious company not dependent on Palm.
    http://www.access.co.jp/english/ir/i...051220_001.pdf

Surur
    True, but if they weren't interested in the Palm OS, why did they bother to buy it? They could have developed a new OS for handhelds without that expense. The Palm revenue stream isn't trivial, nor is access to the Palm platform (which goes away if they don't renew the license).
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Perhaps they were just interested in ongoing PalmOS royalties?
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast