Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Please manufacture the PALM OS version !!!
    Looks nice. As noted (sort of) in the msmobiles text, it appears to have a Wifi icon. Can someone who knows WM5 better than me comment on i) whether they think this really is a Wifi icon and ii) whether the Wifi icon displays on a device that lacks built-in Wifi but which doesn't have a Wifi card inserted? There's no protruding card visible so does the presence of the icon imply bulit-in Wifi?

Also, what is the icon between the Wifi icon (presuming that is what it is) and the phone status icon? 3G? It's in the position of the EvDO icon on the 700W:

http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...00w/today.html
    Good find. Thanks Surur, keep the info coming.
    sorry for my ignorance. does 3G support GSM mobile? Or just another type of system besides GSM and CDMA? thx.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treopq
    sorry for my ignorance. does 3G support GSM mobile? Or just another type of system besides GSM and CDMA? thx.
    Not 100% sure I follow you.

3G for GSM is UMTS
    3G for CDMA is Ev-DO

Both can have different revisions and features added, but those are the basis for the service.
    Quote Originally Posted by treopq
    My understanding is that 3G is a catch-all term for telephony technologies that allow voice calls and fast data transfer. It wouldn't be quite right to say 3G supports GSM, but GSM service providers supply handsets (the Vodafone Treo will be one of these) that can use both GSM/GPRS and a 3G technology called UMTS. These devices use UMTS when close to a mast that is UMTS capable and switch to GSM/GPRS when there's no UMTS mast around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3g
  7.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    Not 100% sure I follow you.

3G for GSM is UMTS
    3G for CDMA is Ev-DO

Both can have different revisions and features added, but those are the basis for the service.
    This version is probably the simplest and easiest to understand.

Here's a bit of annotation to the picture.

http://surur.sytes.net/treolennon.png

Its funny that, after all the talk about WIFI and battery drainage, they show a device in flight mode, using WIFI as its connection, with a nearly drained battery. Its so ironic it might even be on purpose.

Surur
    A 3G handset can be used with 2G (GSM) simcard
    Note that there is an issue with 3G UMTS. In the rest of the world, UMTS uses both the 1900 and 2100 frequencies (for transmission and reception). However in the U.S., the 2100 is currently reserved for military use. The FCC plans to make this available for licensing but hasn't even done the auctions yet.

T-Mobile has no UMTS deployment yet. Cingular has deployed UMTS in some areas but have done it using 1900 for both transmission and reception.

The result is that a world UMTS phone can't be used in the U.S. and best case is years away from using it (possibly never depending on the carriers). A U.S. UMTS phone can be used in the rest of world either. All of the current UMTS phones have tri-band or quad band also so can be used for normal GSM in different parts of the world. I don't know of any UMTS phones currently that implement UMTS for both the U.S. and the rest of the world.

Basically UMTS is a mess in the U.S. right now.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Note that there is an issue with 3G UMTS. In the rest of the world, UMTS uses both the 1900 and 2100 frequencies (for transmission and reception). However in the U.S., the 2100 is currently reserved for military use. The FCC plans to make this available for licensing but hasn't even done the auctions yet.

T-Mobile has no UMTS deployment yet. Cingular has deployed UMTS in some areas but have done it using 1900 for both transmission and reception.

The result is that a world UMTS phone can't be used in the U.S. and best case is years away from using it (possibly never depending on the carriers). A U.S. UMTS phone can be used in the rest of world either. All of the current UMTS phones have tri-band or quad band also so can be used for normal GSM in different parts of the world. I don't know of any UMTS phones currently that implement UMTS for both the U.S. and the rest of the world.

Also broadcast on the 850MHz band. HTC Hermes/TyTN utilizes all 3.
  11.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis

Yes, the HTC Hermes covers all UMTS and GSM bands (USA and Europe), plus of course WIFI G, Bluetooth 2 (but no infrared )

Surur
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Yes, the HTC Hermes covers all UMTS and GSM bands (USA and Europe), plus of course WIFI G, Bluetooth 2 (but no infrared )

Surur
    Sure?
    http://www.gsmarena.com/qtek_9600-1588.php
  13.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    Not sure it seems. I know one of the new ones has no infra-red, and unless its consumer infra-red it wont really be missed.

Surur
    This version is probably the simplest and easiest to understand.
    Agreed

Here's a bit of annotation to the picture.

http://surur.sytes.net/treolennon.png
    Thanks for that. So built-in Wifi looks pretty certain?

Its funny that, after all the talk about WIFI and battery drainage, they show a device in flight mode, using WIFI as its connection, with a nearly drained battery. Its so ironic it might even be on purpose.

Surur
    Those wacky guys from Vodafone If this is indeed slimmer, I wonder if they managed to keep the battery at 1800 mAh.
  15.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    Agreed
    If this is indeed slimmer, I wonder if they managed to keep the battery at 1800 mAh.
    Ive heard the new Treo uses mini-SD instead of SD, so I doubt it.

Surur
    Ive heard the new Treo uses mini-SD instead of SD, so I doubt it.
    Wouldn't that leave more room for a bigger battery? Can you share where you heard about the mini-SD?
  17.    #19  
    I cant remember, but its a prevalent rumour. See here for example.

http://es.videogames.games.yahoo.com...treo-750v.html
    http://todopocketpc.com/noticias_cat...id_categoria=9

Surur
    No offense but I think several here are confused. There are four GSM bands worldwide (quad band) 850/900/1800/1900. Quad-band GSM phones (which the Treo 650 is for example) work anywhere in the world on GSM. The UMTS spec uses 1900/2100 together which is commonly called 2100.

Cingular uses a variation which I believe technically isn't UMTS since it uses a different frequency 1900/1900.

I still don't believe any single device covers both the U.S. and the world UMTS bands. I would be happy to be wrong but I don't think I am.

Surur
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast