Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    There hasn't been any 750p announced. And I doubt there will be, there's ample evidence that the current Palm OS can't support UMTS. The rumor is a Palm version that doesn't have UMTS or Wifi but I wouldn't call that a 750p since it severaly lacks features compared to the WM5 version (unlike the 700w and 700p).

Quote Originally Posted by jglev
    700w and 700p for US CDMA (Sprint and Verizon)
    750w and 750p for world GSM (EU, US Cingular, etc).

That makes 4.

Also, mini-SD is interesting. I just wish they would ditch that stupid/monster Palm Connector and go with the mini-USB standard.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    The 4th phone (Nitro) of 2006 is POS and it has reportedly been designed for a lower price point (probably free w/ 2 year contract) in the market and will therefore be missing features in the current 700 series.

There's been one unconfirmed (as yet) rumor that Cingular has slowed down their HSDPA rollout in order to focus more on their "least dropped calls" strategy (new towers and consolidation) which is working very well for them. If this turns out to be true, Palm might as well wait for (worst case) the XMas season in 2007 (Late September) and ALP / Linux for their next GSM phone in the US. I would thing sooner but that still isn't a too bad worse case.

If they do that tho, once they better break tradition and pre-announce cause come it's 2nd birthday in February 2007...even regular peeps are gonna start gettin antsy.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    There hasn't been any 750p announced. And I doubt there will be, there's ample evidence that the current Palm OS can't support UMTS. The rumor is a Palm version that doesn't have UMTS or Wifi but I wouldn't call that a 750p since it severaly lacks features compared to the WM5 version (unlike the 700w and 700p).
    True that there has been no official announcement yet, I was just refering to the Nitro as the 750p. Call it what you want, but it is the fourth phone that Palm is talking about.
    Jeff
    Maybe I'm a typical superficial California slug, but am I the only one bothered by the idea of paying $600+ for a Lennon and then having every teenager running around with a "free with contract" Nitro that looks just like it? With superficial people like me out there, they'd better do something to visually distinguish these two models, or else the Lennon is going to be a much harder sell. I think those of us who would care about the extra features like UMTS are a RELATIVELY small community.
    I'd be irked, too, but I seriously doubt the Nitro will be free, no matter how "cheap" it's proported to be. It may be $199 at its cheapest, but I think that's even a little too low.
    The Wifi is a surprise to me -- otherwise, the picture matches perfectly -- while the device doesn't LOOK much smaller it's does FEEL a bit more compact. It's also significantly lighter in weight overall. Sadly, it'll be time for new spare batteries.

Also, as said, Mini SD (inserted through a closed door on the side...so no more bumping the card out of place!).

Camera is Matsu****a instead of Altus, but still 1.3.

I've also heard PalmOS cannot support UMTS. And that Verizon still outsells the 700w compard to the 700p, even though the 700w has been out since January.

IMHO, Palm has done a great job with WM5 to make it practical as a phone; as compared to things like the HTC Wizard which seem to think they are a PDA first and a phone second.
    Quote Originally Posted by TGavilan

Completely OT but wow that's some strict auto-censoring software that TC is running.
  8.    #48  
    You've got the device!!

Is it thinner?
    Does it have WIFI integrated?
    Does it have HSDPA?
    How much program memory, how much storage memory?
    What is the battery capacity?
    What is the processor speed?

Thanks for any answers.

Surur
    The Wifi is a surprise to me -- otherwise, the picture matches perfectly
    Matches what perfectly? Please share!
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Does it have WIFI integrated?
    Are there any mini-SD Wifi cards?
  11.    #51  
    Yes there are, but if the slot is deeply buried, covered or arkwardly placed it can still be a problem.

Surur
    The Wifi is a surprise to me -- otherwise, the picture matches perfectly -- while the device doesn't LOOK much smaller it's does FEEL a bit more compact. It's also significantly lighter in weight overall. Sadly, it'll be time for new spare batteries.

Also, as said, Mini SD (inserted through a closed door on the side...so no more bumping the card out of place!).

I've also heard PalmOS cannot support UMTS. And that Verizon still outsells the 700w compard to the 700p, even though the 700w has been out since January.

IMHO, Palm has done a great job with WM5 to make it practical as a phone; as compared to things like the HTC Wizard which seem to think they are a PDA first and a phone second.
    This is one nice and interesting posting

Mini-SD on the side sounds about like a Palm-like move. Needed room for wifi, so makes some sense.

What is the camera quality like if you can compare the 700w and your (I'll just say) 750.

You speak about the size feeling smaller than it is. I noticed this when holding my 650 then the 700w and 700p. It does feel smaller but was not. Where do you see that the Treo has lost some weight (so to speak).

And then those other questions by Surur, could I submit those as well
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    I discovered the source of the picture. Its from a powerpoint presentation of by the new head of Windows Mobile and Xbox and Zune, from slide 6, from here.
    http://www.microsoft.com/msft/speech...chFAM2006.mspx

Surur
    I don't see it at all.
  14.    #55  
    Its very small, and there is a chance that i you are late to the game, they have removed it.

Surur
    Its very small, and there is a chance that i you are late to the game, they have removed it.

Surur

I have it saved on my desktop.
    Why do you guys start rge miniSD rumor. I don't believe it for a second. If they use a miniSD slot on the side, how can they reuse the 650/700w/p chassis?

I will probably see Canon dumping CF slot on their DSLR before I see Palm dumping the SD slot.
  17.    #58  
    They are not re-using the same chasis. It will be subtly different.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by laurenke
    I'd be irked, too, but I seriously doubt the Nitro will be free, no matter how "cheap" it's proported to be. It may be $199 at its cheapest, but I think that's even a little too low.
    With carrier rebates in the $250 range for a new customer, that's where the free comes from ona $199 phone.
    They are not re-using the same chasis. It will be subtly different.

Surur
    If this is false, would you change your avatar to "Rumor Monger"?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast