Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 87
  1. #21  
    LOL maybe they will throw in WiFi to compensate the tiny screen?

    Doesn't feel like a Treo to me, without the antenna. It's a HP6500 in disguist!
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    No offense but I think several here are confused. There are four GSM bands worldwide (quad band) 850/900/1800/1900. Quad-band GSM phones (which the Treo 650 is for example) work anywhere in the world on GSM. The UMTS spec uses 1900/2100 together which is commonly called 2100.

    Cingular uses a variation which I believe technically isn't UMTS since it uses a different frequency 1900/1900.
    I don't know anything about Cingular but here are the actual UK frequencies:

    876 - 915 GSM
    921- 960 GSM
    1710 -1781 GSM
    1805 -1876 GSM

    1900 - 1980 3G
    2110 - 2170 3G

    http://www.sitefinder.radio.gov.uk/
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    No offense but I think several here are confused. There are four GSM bands worldwide (quad band) 850/900/1800/1900. Quad-band GSM phones (which the Treo 650 is for example) work anywhere in the world on GSM. The UMTS spec uses 1900/2100 together which is commonly called 2100.
    GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    UMTS: 850 / 1900 / 2100

    http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/HTC-...ne-p_1636.html

    Cingular uses 850 and 1900. The HTC Tytn (with infrared) appears to have all the bases covered. There is a rumour that HTC is making a version which adds EVDO to the mix also (for use in Japan).

    Surur
  4. #24  
    For what it is worth I was sitting in SEA two weeks ago waiting for a flight home when a man walked up to a couple sitting close to me and said "I see you're using my competitiors device" pointing to the lady (the man had a Treo). He introdcued himself as working for Palm and pulled out a "prototype" device that looks very similar to the picture shown on this thread. After chatting for a minute he finished the conversation and I waved him over to me to repeat what he had said. Again he pulled out the device (for about 15 seconds) and said it was a working prototype that was scheduled for release sometime at the end of the year (you know what that means). He gave me his business card and said he and his group would welcome comments (email). One of those close, chance encounters.

    polodad1
  5. #25  
    Yes, you are right for outside the U.S. My understanding is that for 3G, both bands are used at the same time (unlike GSM).

    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    I don't know anything about Cingular but here are the actual UK frequencies:

    876 - 915 GSM
    921- 960 GSM
    1710 -1781 GSM
    1805 -1876 GSM

    1900 - 1980 3G
    2110 - 2170 3G

    http://www.sitefinder.radio.gov.uk/
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  6.    #26  
    I discovered the source of the picture. Its from a powerpoint presentation of by the new head of Windows Mobile and Xbox and Zune, from slide 6, from here.
    http://www.microsoft.com/msft/speech...chFAM2006.mspx

    Surur
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by polodad1
    For what it is worth I was sitting in SEA two weeks ago waiting for a flight home when a man walked up to a couple sitting close to me and said "I see you're using my competitiors device" pointing to the lady (the man had a Treo). He introdcued himself as working for Palm and pulled out a "prototype" device that looks very similar to the picture shown on this thread. After chatting for a minute he finished the conversation and I waved him over to me to repeat what he had said. Again he pulled out the device (for about 15 seconds) and said it was a working prototype that was scheduled for release sometime at the end of the year (you know what that means). He gave me his business card and said he and his group would welcome comments (email). One of those close, chance encounters.

    polodad1
    Did it have a stun gun and projector included too?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...4&postcount=34

    Surur
  8. #28  
    Now I regret not asking him to turn it over to see if it had a camera. The most noticable thing about it was the absence of a antenna. I also recall the outer edge not being shiney but a duller finish.

    Reading my comments again it sounds like one of those Penthouse Magazine "it happened to me" kind of letters. But it's all true, my wife was with me glaring that "you don't need a new phone" look.
  9. #29  
    OK, the article I read quoted Cingular as using 1900/1900 UMTS, but this indicates they are using 850/1900. I stand corrected, and I'm glad there are world compatible units starting to appear.

    I wonder how long it will take Palm to make one? Can you get the TyTN anywhere yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    UMTS: 850 / 1900 / 2100

    http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/HTC-...ne-p_1636.html

    Cingular uses 850 and 1900. The HTC Tytn (with infrared) appears to have all the bases covered. There is a rumour that HTC is making a version which adds EVDO to the mix also (for use in Japan).

    Surur
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  10. #30  
    I like to email him about being a beta tester!

    Quote Originally Posted by polodad1
    For what it is worth I was sitting in SEA two weeks ago waiting for a flight home when a man walked up to a couple sitting close to me and said "I see you're using my competitiors device" pointing to the lady (the man had a Treo). He introdcued himself as working for Palm and pulled out a "prototype" device that looks very similar to the picture shown on this thread. After chatting for a minute he finished the conversation and I waved him over to me to repeat what he had said. Again he pulled out the device (for about 15 seconds) and said it was a working prototype that was scheduled for release sometime at the end of the year (you know what that means). He gave me his business card and said he and his group would welcome comments (email). One of those close, chance encounters.

    polodad1
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  11. ls3mach's Avatar
    Posts
    659 Posts
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    No offense but I think several here are confused. There are four GSM bands worldwide (quad band) 850/900/1800/1900. Quad-band GSM phones (which the Treo 650 is for example) work anywhere in the world on GSM. The UMTS spec uses 1900/2100 together which is commonly called 2100.

    Cingular uses a variation which I believe technically isn't UMTS since it uses a different frequency 1900/1900.

    I still don't believe any single device covers both the U.S. and the world UMTS bands. I would be happy to be wrong but I don't think I am.

    The Hermes does. Check the link I posted.
  12.    #32  
  13. #33  
    The pic is still %#$%! blurry! LOL

    Its hard to tell for sure, but it looks like the Lennon will have the same rubberized silicone outer shell as the "limited edition" 650 had: http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar.../blacktie.html

    They pobably released the LE 650 to beta test the new case before using it on the Lennon/Nitro.
  14. #34  
    Spwaking as a person with a LE 650 in his trunk the finish is not bad and most def just like the Z72 but does not rub off. It does attract fingerprints.

    I'd like on on that email to that Palm tester. I have a few questions about usability (screw design and hrdware, it has to just work).

    Surur, you say mini-SD? That would be a good idea for Palm ironically. Oh and a belated comgrats on the PDA 24/7 position.

    Neat, but I cannot help feeling that the 650 was the last great PalmOS device (the 700 feels too much like a midlife frehening than a real new model).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    I discovered the source of the picture. Its from a powerpoint presentation of by the new head of Windows Mobile and Xbox and Zune, from slide 6, from here.
    http://www.microsoft.com/msft/speech...chFAM2006.mspx

    Surur
    Thanks, you're a star!

    A slightly flippant observation:

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Bach
    'I actually won't talk a lot about productivity today.'
    Is followed a couple of paragraphs later by:

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Bach
    'You see here new devices from Palm, Samsung, and HTC.'
    Slide 4 has 'Productivity' and 'Communications' as separate as 'Productivity' and 'Gaming'
  16.    #36  
    "Productivity" means Windows and Office, and is so passť these days. Investors could care less about the cash cows. They want sexy things like cellphones and xboxes.

    Surur
  17. #37  
    O.k. - so all this UTMS GSM - 800 2100 3500 stuff to the side. All I've read is vodafone getting the next treo(s) (Windows - maybe Palm OS also??) - so doesnt that complete the numebr of treos they announced they were going to release this year?? And if so - I sure don't see Cingular in there.....Ill be ticked if I get SC*!^&* out of Cingular getting anything new.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
  18. #38  
    700w... 700p.... Vodafone Treo......

    I count 3 phones. How do you count?
  19. #39  
    I've looked closely at purchasing the tytan. It is quad band GSM and it is triband UMTS, so it does cover all possible UMTS bands. Its also HDSPA (sp?) which is what I believe Cingular will deploy as its 3G tech.
  20. jglev's Avatar
    Posts
    403 Posts
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    700w... 700p.... Vodafone Treo......

    I count 3 phones. How do you count?
    700w and 700p for US CDMA (Sprint and Verizon)
    750w and 750p for world GSM (EU, US Cingular, etc).

    That makes 4.

    Also, mini-SD is interesting. I just wish they would ditch that stupid/monster Palm Connector and go with the mini-USB standard.
    Jeff
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions