Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    How much woulkd you want off the bill for a "used Treo".....for me I'd spend up to a $100 more for a new one.

But tehre's also what peeps get paid and what they cost.....benefits, insurance, etc....ya think when the lawyers office bills ya out at $300 / they paying the staff attorney that much ?
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    How much woulkd you want off the bill for a "used Treo".....for me I'd spend up to a $100 more for a new one.
    I think that's a fair number. But as long as there is price insensitive demand from replacements, it's not relevant.
    the first time you do a warrantee swap you get a "used" phone anyway. no?
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    But tehre's also what peeps get paid and what they cost.....benefits, insurance, etc....ya think when the lawyers office bills ya out at $300 / they paying the staff attorney that much ?
    You could bill many staff attorneys at $1 zillion/hour and pay minimum wage and still not make money. No diff between them and any other employee -- finding the productive ones is really really hard. And those ones you pay a mint. Because they get the job done.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    If there wasn't a reason to "try" these new phones prior to purchasing them, there wouldn't be a need for a trial period. I would guess that many users do not need any device even remotely as powerful as a treo, yet if given the opportunity to try it, they may just stick with it. What does this mean to the retailer? For Verizon it means 45 bucks a month in a data plan and 100 bucks a month for voice minutes. This revenue stream HUGELY outweighs the cost of the phone.

We've all got to remember that folks like us who will buy a device and then quickly join an online community to discuss it are the exception, not the rule and while we may represent the long tail of the bell curve, we're not the ones who make the carriers the big money. We ARE however the people who influence those around us to adopt new technologies and in turn bring in revenue. How do you think that Palm decides what features are best to put in the next release of device, a crystal ball? Of course not, they look at sites like these and user feedback from the early adopter crowd. As a case in point, I would bet that with the new POS release, we see a device with TONS more program memory (quote me on it).

Bottom line, as long as there are technologists who crave the latest and greatest, there will be trial periods for us to "evaluate" the technology and regardless of the end cost of the product, I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Debo
    We've all got to remember that folks like us who will buy a device and then quickly join an online community to discuss it are the exception, not the rule and while we may represent the long tail of the bell curve, we're not the ones who make the carriers the big money.
    I think your points are correct (we pay to be the beta testers and we pay to be the marketing department for Palm). So maybe in that way even though they give us a 30 day trial period (which costs them money) in the long run they get their money's worth in other ways.

But I also think that at least some of us do directly generate big revenue streams for the mobile phone companies. Me, on T-Mo, I buy a bunch of minutes, have 2 Treos with data plans, the unlimited text messages deal, and I run up stupid amounts of toll charges for international callls every month.

Lots of people on TC brag about how cheap a deal they got (e.g., SERO plans with Sprint and yes I'm jealous). But maybe there are some of us who need to play "Can you top this?" at the other end of the price spectrum.
  7.    #27  
    Lots of people on TC brag about how cheap a deal they got (e.g., SERO plans with Sprint and yes I'm jealous). But maybe there are some of us who need to play "Can you top this?" at the other end of the price spectrum
    look at this.....now kinda explains why Q is so cheap....with it's styling to wow peeps and the low initial cost, Verizon gonna make a ton of money on fees.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1967190,00.asp

Verizon wants to sell the Q to ordinary consumers, but its costly smartphone service plans stand in the way of the Q sweeping America. You get 450 minutes for $79 per month, 1,350 minutes for $109, and 4,000 minutes for $169, with unlimited data and in-network calling during nights and weekends. Unlimited Q data can also be a $40 add-on to an existing family plan, so, for instance, a 700-minute, two-line plan with a Q and a voice phone would cost $110 per month. At Sprint, the equivalent of Verizon's $109 plan costs only $75, and Verizon's $110 family plan would cost a mere $85. Verizon needs to bring its monthly fees down if it wants the Q to be the success it could be.
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    the first time you do a warrantee swap you get a "used" phone anyway. no?
    That's my point: without returns, these would be new phones.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    If the device worked as promised out of the box the return rate would drop. If the teenager selling the phone knew crap about the phone the return rate would drop because te customer could be steered toward the correct phone. Hey, how about a 15% refund if I have to waste my time returning a defective device?
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    look at this.....now kinda explains why Q is so cheap....with it's styling to wow peeps and the low initial cost, Verizon gonna make a ton of money on fees.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1967190,00.asp
    funny. explains how much work the Treo has ahead of it
    I read that PCMag review of the Q. Thanks, JackNaylorPE.

Hey. The Q, it don't have no wifi! I think we should have a thread on the merits of wifi/no wifi on the Q.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    funny. explaitns how much work the Treo has ahead of it
    Guess you didn't actually read the article. Here's the concluding paragraph.

The Q's major competitors are from Palm—the Treo 700w and the newer Treo 700p. The 700w is more expensive than the Q and has little to recommend it. The 700p comes with Microsoft Office document editors (not just viewers), has a higher-res screen, runs on both Verizon and Sprint, and is both faster and less buggy than the Q. On the other hand, it costs $200 more and is considerably chubbier. So while the 700p retains the Editors' Choice crown, the Q is an excellent machine and a terrific choice.
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    I wouldn't blindly accept the claim that so many phones have nothing wrong with them, either. Several times they've told me there's nothing wrong with a 650, when there actually was. Sprint at least, don't know about the others, seems to only test a unit as a *dumb* phone.
    If a company offers a no fee return policy then they need to factor the cost of returns as one of teh costs of doing business. If the policy allows them to make sales that they wouldn't without it and the return costs are managable; then they made a good choice. If it costs them money then they made a bad one. it's called competition in a free market and the customer gets to vote with his or her dollars where they shop.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12