Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 163
  1.    #1  
    http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=12327

    Old stuff, the Washingtom Post interview was back in May but for soemreason all the Palm sites are making a big deal of it only now....noit sure what that might mean.
  2. #2  
    Palm has been "committed" to wifi since the TC. But as per Palm's view of things. The only time to release any tech is when the majority of their customers would purchase it. This is not to say that they couldn't have done it in a Treo sooner. but to do it now is a good thing as the itde of public opinion of those with PDAs with wifi, or smarpthones with wifi puts the Treo in a negative light.

    Of course, if the next Treo comes with wifi in as plump a package as the current Treo it will not matter as people will complain that its too fat. And if it is thinner with worse battery life, people will complain then too.

    Oh yea, the fuss is made now all over because of the Vodaphone/MS/Palm announcement and it being a Treo that EU will love (I reserve judgement till I see it in person since I live in the US).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM
    This is not to say that they couldn't have done it in a Treo sooner. but to do it now is a good thing as the itde of public opinion of those with PDAs with wifi, or smarpthones with wifi puts the Treo in a negative light.
    Agreed...the more phones that come out with wifi, the worse it looks for the treo.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  4. #4  
    Yeah and Palm said they were working on Wifi drivers when they released the 600. I do hope they offer this but I will not believe it until I see it. Also based on the vague and "future" words in the article this makes me almost certain the the vodaphone announced device won't have Wifi.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  5. #5  
    it is very possible since they've done it in the T|X...
    all they need to do is put phone capabilities on a T|X then that's it...

    simple yet the procedure is complicated... very complicated...
    ____________________________________________
    Live Hard, Die Easy...
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM
    Palm has been "committed" to wifi since the TC. But as per Palm's view of things. The only time to release any tech is when the majority of their customers would purchase it

    And with their major customers being Cingular, Sprint, verizon....I can see the hesitation. They needed to wait to see a few devices hit the market so they could throw up their hands and proclaim..."we gotta do this now or we'll get beat in sales". I do thing their best "interim" strategy would be to only put WiFi in the unlocked versions.
  7. #7  
    WiFi is not needed on smartfones. BT and 3G are enough for anyone.

    I still have plenty of memory left on my 8086 chipped IBM PC with a whopping 1MB of total RAM. Bill was right.
    Patrick Horne
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by benn_monyo
    it is very possible since they've done it in the T|X...
    all they need to do is put phone capabilities on a T|X then that's it...

    simple yet the procedure is complicated... very complicated...
    If it was that simple, it would already have been done. Reading this announcement, I find it so interesting and coincidental that these future Treos won't be running PalmOS.

    The reason the Treo's don't have wifi is because PalmOS5 can't handle a cellular radio and a wifi radio at the same time. From what I can guess, it must be a multitasking thing, because WM devices can do it just fine.

    Now, combine the fact that the future Treos are going to be using a newer OS, it's perfectly convenient for Palm to start promising wifi in Treos, because now it can actually be done.

    WiFi is not needed on smartfones. BT and 3G are enough for anyone.
    That's not true. I don't even have to explain why you might need wifi, I can just look at a lot of the new phones coming out and figure out that, if all these other companies are putting wifi in their smartphones, then obviously there is some use for it and some market for it. But realistically, wifi is good for

    1. High speed access when you're not in a Ev-DO/UMTS/HSDPA area
    2. Internet access when you don't have a signal
    3. Internet access when you need to join a network that only accepts local connections
    4. Being able to talk on the phone and get online (i think HSDPA offers this naturally, but for CDMA users, it would be nice). Imagine if someone called and asked you for directions, you could get online and look it up while talking to them through a headset.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    That's not true. I don't even have to explain why you might need wifi, I can just look at a lot of the new phones coming out and figure out that, if all these other companies are putting wifi in their smartphones, then obviously there is some use for it and some market for it. But realistically, wifi is good for

    1. High speed access when you're not in a Ev-DO/UMTS/HSDPA area
    2. Internet access when you don't have a signal
    3. Internet access when you need to join a network that only accepts local connections
    4. Being able to talk on the phone and get online (i think HSDPA offers this naturally, but for CDMA users, it would be nice). Imagine if someone called and asked you for directions, you could get online and look it up while talking to them through a headset.
    Ugh. http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=8&q=sarcasm
  10. #10  
    Ah...and this is what happens when you only get 4 hours of sleep...my bad..
  11. #11  
    Another cycnical thought is that the cell carriers are not crazy about givng wifi away for free or to T-Mobile. It may be like the light bulb that nevers burns out but never sees the light of day.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    ut realistically, wifi is good for

    1. High speed access when you're not in a Ev-DO/UMTS/HSDPA area
    2. Internet access when you don't have a signal
    3. Internet access when you need to join a network that only accepts local connections
    4. Being able to talk on the phone and get online (i think HSDPA offers this naturally, but for CDMA users, it would be nice). Imagine if someone called and asked you for directions, you could get online and look it up while talking to them through a headset.
    Problem I think for Palm in the US anyway is WiFi coverage comprises less than 1% of the geographical coverage area. And BTW, if someone called me and asked for directions .... I think I'd teach him how to fish instead of giving him the fish. If I am on my cell, there's a 50% chance I am driving and I ain't ;looking up directions , talking on phone whiel trying to keep from killoing myself and others. There's a 35% chnace that I am in someone else's office and if I feelin generous, I'll sit at a PC. And in the 15% chance ...damn man, I'm busy www.mapquest.com dude !
  13. ls3mach's Avatar
    Posts
    659 Posts
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    #13  
    Wifi is useful in a phone. Just today, I needed to be on voice and a call at the same time. Looked up some info and relayed it back. Very quick like.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Problem I think for Palm in the US anyway is WiFi coverage comprises less than 1% of the geographical coverage area. And BTW, if someone called me and asked for directions .... I think I'd teach him how to fish instead of giving him the fish. If I am on my cell, there's a 50% chance I am driving and I ain't ;looking up directions , talking on phone whiel trying to keep from killoing myself and others. There's a 35% chnace that I am in someone else's office and if I feelin generous, I'll sit at a PC. And in the 15% chance ...damn man, I'm busy www.mapquest.com dude !
    Yea, wifi coverage isn't that great compared to cell phone data coverage, but when it comes to smartphones, wifi isn't meant to be the main internet connection. Wifi is meant as an alternative for when your Ev-DO/EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA connection isn't available, when you need to do things on a local network, or when you're power hungry and you want extra speed

    My example with the directions was primarily with the assumption that the person calling you for directions is lost and doesn't have access to directions. They could call you, and while you're on the phone with them, you could look up the directions on your Treo using wifi. Of course, the problem could be solved easier if the person had a Treo themselves, then they could look it up themselves and let Jack enjoy the other 15% of his time
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stack
    Another cycnical thought is that the cell carriers are not crazy about givng wifi away for free or to T-Mobile. It may be like the light bulb that nevers burns out but never sees the light of day.
    Actually, a lot of people mention this as the reason the Treo doesn't have wifi, because it is one of the most realistic reasons if you think about it. However, the real reason (at least in my opinion) is that PalmOS5 can't handle a cell phone radio and a wifi radio at the same time.

    Personally, while I do see wifi as a threat to data plans in some cases (and even to phone plans in general, with things like Skype available), I think the majority of smartphone users get a data plan from their carriers instead of using wifi as their main connection. Half the point of having a smartphone is being able to get online in any place at any time, and wifi doesn't always allow you to do that, so the best thing to do is to get a data plan. Not to mention that using your phones data service is less battery intensive than wifi.
  16.    #16  
    Well any Garnet 5.4.x limitation wouldn't necessarily apply to 5.5.x and it also doesn't explain why Palm has it on one of their handhelds nor why it's not in the 700w.

    Also, even if it's not meant to be the main internet connection, it';s usefullness is limited if it's not available in 99.9% of the geographical US. If yiou have no phone signal, how long can ya keep driving around lookoing for a hotspot like those dudes in the VW commercial.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith
    WiFi is not needed on smartfones. BT and 3G are enough for anyone.

    I still have plenty of memory left on my 8086 chipped IBM PC with a whopping 1MB of total RAM. Bill was right.

    Please dont tell people what they need and dont need based on your opinion. Just becuase you dont have a need or a want for it doesnt mean that others dont either.

    We can debate on whether the POS can handle it, or if the current hardware can handle it but please dont tell me that I or others dont need it.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
  18. #18  
    I will believe it when I see it.

    Palm->wifi = pig->fly
  19. DHart's Avatar
    Posts
    273 Posts
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Also, even if it's not meant to be the main internet connection, it';s usefullness is limited if it's not available in 99.9% of the geographical US. If yiou have no phone signal, how long can ya keep driving around lookoing for a hotspot like those dudes in the VW commercial.
    Jack, I know you are smarter than this. Even if your contention that only 0.1% of geographical US is literally true (I think you are exaggerating to make a point), even people who travel extensively roam over a tiny percentage of the geography of the US. Compared to the places that people ACTUALLY live and work, the percentage of geography covered by cell towers is small also - Certainly much greater than Wi-Fi, but that's not the point. There ARE many places that we live and travel where Wi-Fi coverage is available and that availability is growing every day. Where EVER it is, people would like to take advantage of it because it would be truly useful.
  20.    #20  
    I haven't ;lookled at the maps in a while but to my recollection about 50% of the geographical area of the US is covered by cell service which amounts to about 90-95% of the population. OTOH, approximately 1/2 of 1% of the US population has access to public WiFi at any given point in time.

    That's changing...as indicated my county (1,000 square miles / 1.5 million people) expects full coverage within 2-3 years. Right now it's 2 college campuses, one hotel, a couple of Starbucks and a few libraries.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions