Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 163
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    You still haven't given us any data that shows a large scale of smartphone buyers. Those situations you mentioned all represent a minority of smartphone purchasers.Either way, this argument won't go anywhere because you don't have any proper way of proving your point, and I actually agree with you, wifi isn't a deal breaker for most people, but that doesn't mean it's not starting to become important in smartphones.
    The burden is at you to bring out some number to disprove his argument. Not the other way around. Because you know he actually has some stat to support his point of view.
  2. Hicks's Avatar
    Posts
    936 Posts
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    It's a dead horse so I will repeat a dead beating stick.

    I rather have GPS than WiFi.
    Agreed. GPS
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

    Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

    Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  3. Hicks's Avatar
    Posts
    936 Posts
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    I just check the Vodafone UK website. They don't seem to have any unlimited data plan. The only option is "Data usage (per MB) 2.35". So wifi makes sense oversea.

    Not in the US though.
    T-mobile do an unlimited data plan (web n walk) in the uk for abour 27.50 per month...
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

    Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

    Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    T-mobile do an unlimited data plan (web n walk) in the uk for abour 27.50 per month...
    Actually the 27.50 gives you some call minutes and text messages as well as unlimited data. The unlimited data bit of the bundle (web n walk) costs just 7.50.

    Compare for example the cost of the Relax plans with web n walk:

    http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher...nPricePlan=pmt

    with those without:

    http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?menuid=plans_relax

    A damn fine deal!
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    I just check the Vodafone UK website. They don't seem to have any unlimited data plan. The only option is "Data usage (per MB) 2.35".
    Actually it's not quite as bad as that if you have one of the data bundles (but is still pretty awful). A bit more info here (posts 16 to 22):

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=119941

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    So wifi makes sense oversea.
    On Vodafone right now that would be true. One can only hope that Vodafone will follow T-Mobiles lead in the UK and introduce cheap, unlimited data.
  6. #86  
    Orange is going unlimited for 8.50 also, and apparently without any fair use cap. Does that mean I can stream all day?

    Surur
  7. #87  
    Didn't Palm, or whoever they were back then, promise wi-fi using a card on the 600? I know they promised we would be able to use the card "soon" when I purchased my 650. I'm still waiting.

    There are a lot of times that wi-fi would be useful to me. I'm often not in a sprint area but can find a wi-fi hot spot to check my email or whatever.
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Orange is going unlimited for 8.50 also, and apparently without any fair use cap. Does that mean I can stream all day?
    Really?! Do you have a link? All I can find on the Orange site is current prices:

    Orange World Access 4MB 4.00
    Orange World Access 10MB 8.00
    Orange World Access 25MB 16.00

    http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/yourpl...tionalservices

    A quick Google didn't find anything either.
  9. #89  
    Ok. Found this:

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07...ariff_changes/

    Says 'both [unlimited] internet browsing and text messaging bundled for 75 a month'
  10. #90  
    http://www.modaco.com/index.php?show...nlimited&st=60

    This is where it comes from. There is still a lot of confusion surrounding it, but it appears they will only offer an unlimited option for the more expensive plans We may have to wait till end of August to see what exactly is going on.

    Surur
  11. #91  
    http://www1.orange.co.uk/ow1/

    A bit more official here.

    Surur
  12. #92  
    Thanks. It's good to see the UK market moving in this direction. The Orange T&C page seems pretty clear about cost (8 pcm) but the talk of it being WAP only is a bit worrying:

    "The Bundle provides Eligible Customers with unlimited WAP browsing on their 3G phones...

    ... Network protection controls may be applied to all services which Orange does not believe constitute WAP browsing."

    Useless to me if it is really WML only. What about HTML, email? Perhaps that's the difference between the 75 bundle reported by the Register and the 8 add-on?

    EDIT. There's a bit more discussion of the WAP-only-ness of this in the MoDaCo thread Surur linked to above:

    http://www.modaco.com/index.php?show...unlimited&st=0

    At this point there doesn't seem any reason to suppose that the 8 add-on will allow anything more than WAP browsing, which is a real shame.
    Last edited by marcol; 08/01/2006 at 08:27 AM.
  13. #93  
    Sad news.....a little birdy who is in the know told me that the upcoming Treos in fact will not have Wi-Fi.

    I am sticking with the wait and see approach but I am not going to be too surprised if it in fact shows up without Wi-Fi.
  14. #94  
    You know something;
    With all the wifi yes/no that is going on, I do wonder if there is a stragety that Palm can/will do that would work for both them and the carriers (at least in the US).

    For example, maybe the GSM 700 comes here in both WM and POS modes. But the WM one has wifi, CIngular sells it as the ultimte data device and boom things good off for them.

    The for the POS version, it wont have UTMS becuase of the OS, but they do WiFi and Cingular runs a promotion about their whole coverage thingy including devices that have wifi with some kind of VoIP service on that Treo (and other wifi, wifi-only phones).

    That could work, save their revenue, and give us all the wifi that we can use. Just a thought.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  15.    #95  
  16.    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart
    You can argue data points all you want, but global events point toward a widespread adoption of WiFi capable handsets.
    A point I have made repeatedly....but devices are designed for tomorrow's infrastruture. How many times have you seen "Windows Vista Ready" on PC ads even tho we won't see Windows Vista for at least 8 months or so. USB was in windows long before there were "working" USB products....and the early ones were a disaster.

    Look at the title of the thread and who started it. Palm has made the committment to WiFi because they too believe WiFi will be a "must have" feature in the near future. But, by definition, "today" is not the future. Many vendors are looking to differentiate themselves by busting WiFi out earlier and make a splash but nobody's getting wet.

    You have to give credence to the user reviews oin Cnet....there's simply no way around it. If people are logging on to rant about what the phone doesn't have, why aren't they complaining about the lack of WiFi.....if it's the big "must have" feature, why are so few people complaining about its absence ????. Why is the Q selling so well w/o WiFi ? Why did MoTo not include it ? Why did Verizon not insist on it ? Let's not look at what's being offered, let's look atw aht people are buying and the Q is obviously selling well because looks matter to a lot more people than WiFi does.

    Read the polls done by official pollsters in the other thread about data virgins where half of the peopel who tried data said they don't want to try it again !

    The biggest argument for , other than college campuses, has been it would be a nice alternative.....but how many have said, I would be in a position where it would be my only option x number of hours a week. I'd like to have 700 TV channels as an option but I can only view one at a time. It be nice to have the same show starting at 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 on 5 different channels but it's hardly going to be amajor factor in my purchase desicision on whetehr to get cable ro Direct TV as too many other features differecnes take precednce.

    Having WiFi today is akin to having 3G in January 2005. Nice alternative in those rare instances you happen to be in one of the few test cities where it was available. But I still bought a GSM 650 w/o 3G availability entering into my decision.....I wasn't gonna be in those test cities often enough for it to be a factor. Now in January 2006, the presence or absence of that feature is certainly gonna weigh heavier in my decision. In January 2007, I wouldn't consider a device w/o it.

    Today, all things being equal.....which they rarely are, given a choice between devcie A w/ WiFi and device B w/o I would take A.....but given a choice between the 700w w/ Wifi or a 700p w/o WiFi, I'd take the 700p because so many other factors outweigh the availability of WiFi.

    In January 2007, I'd look at it a bit more closely at WiFi and by January 2008, (just 17 months from now) I would consider it a must have because by then, the infrastructure should be in place where I may have the chance to use it more than once or twice a week.
  17. jbcross's Avatar
    Posts
    219 Posts
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    #97  
    Jack
    While I understand your points, I use wifi on a daily basis. I live in the wilds of Pennsylvania and have ZERO cellular coverage at my home/property. I find it so much more convenient to review new email, and do some light PIE with my 700w as opposed to time it take to fire up my laptop.
  18. xtant21's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    #98  
    I was once in the camp of why wifi? Why is it such a big deal? Now that I have a 6700 I now know why this is so cool. It's about having choice on tap. I work in an area that is covered by EVDO...which is pretty fast...not as fast as wifi but not so that I miss wifi. Travel home...I have only a 1x connection there and the neighborhood is new...no chance of EVDO coming anytime fast. Yes, I could limp along on 1x...no doubt. But I have the choice in my hand to use it when I want or need to.

    I argued against wifi at one time with bmcfarland here on TC and he had some compelling points. If you travel you may get a data signal you may not. Go to a caribbean island and you're pretty well SOL for a data connection but most hotels will offer wifi. You are truly not out of reach.

    Living in south Florida we've been known to deal with these things called hurricanes from time to time. The cell carriers will do their best to restore the basics of voice service ASAP. Data service will be restored when time permits. During this time...it's nice to know all I have to do is find a McD's with power and I can be back in business.

    A final note...I like my laptop...but the convenience of sliding open my phone and browsing any web page is just way too cool. Having to dig out my laptop from it's bag...wait for it to boot or restore from sleep and finally be ready for me to web browse just sucks. I know I'm spoiled but it's because I have the choice now. The choice to use wifi or cell data. I've never said damn I hate that this thing has wifi (6700)...but I have said in the past if I only I had wifi on this thing (T650). It's definitely not a bad thing to have it and once you experience life with having the choice to wifi or not to wifi...everyone will scream for wifi on a Treo. To date...only the hardcore have ventured past the ease of the Treo and used devices with wifi built-in...the vast majority of people not screaming for it...haven't had it yet and are using the same excuses I used to use to deny needing it. Now...I'm on the other side...it is very useful and borders on a necessity. Another south Florida caveat...brick and stone buildings (built to withstand 'canes) suck up cell signals...try getting a very good EVDO signal inside work...I have a great wifi connection inside work though.

    Anyway, not against either viewpoint...but as someone who has been on both sides of the fence...the grass truly is greener on the equipped with wifi side. It's about in your hand all the time choice.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by xtant21
    I was once in the camp of why wifi?
    Me too, but then my usually rather sleepy home city went and Wified up a fair proportion of the place:

    http://networks.silicon.com/mobile/0...9161125,00.htm

    Coverage is far from complete, the only commitment at this stage is to a two-year pilot, and speed is limited to 256 kb/s, but suddenly the advantages of Wifi are seeming a little more obvious. Free, reasonably fast data (that may or may not allow streaming, the T&C aren't very clear) certainly has my attention.
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treodoctor
    Sad news.....a little birdy who is in the know told me that the upcoming Treos in fact will not have Wi-Fi.

    I am sticking with the wait and see approach but I am not going to be too surprised if it in fact shows up without Wi-Fi.
    My birdy agrees with your birdie.

Posting Permissions