1.    #1  
    Some thoughts on how Looks DO Matter in mobile application design, and how Palm is lagging behind in this area, at:

http://justanothermobilemonday.com/W...oks-do-matter/
    Sadly the WM screens are more esthetically pleasing...

Happily, my Palm apps work and work and just keep on working

I'll take that tradeoff any day.
    Treo 700P (& GoodLink Administrator)
    Simpsonized
    Are WM apps prettier than Palm apps? Almost always.

But the idea that pretty and ease of use are closely related is bogus. In almost every case, equivilent Palm apps are simpler to use and easier to understand. Palm apps typically require fewer actions (keystrokes, taps), and on the Treo can almost always be done w/o the stylus. On WM, equivilent functions generally require more actions or taps, and frequently require use of the stylus. And while I know WM lovers will disagree, drop down menus are just a lousy interface on a handheld.

Do Palm apps look dated? Sure. Are they less user friendly and harder to use as a result? Not a chance.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    in line w/ meyerweb, palm os interface is much easy for SW developers to create an app.

if you are going to observe the ration of palm SW out there versus WM, it's crazy...
    I am forever flabbergasted by the empahsis on form over substance. It's not whether it works well it's how cool it looks, it's not whether you did the right thing but whether you have "plausible deniability". It's not whether you did it, but whether you got caught...or better said whether it can be proved in court. Goes back to Thoreau's "torn trousers" analogy ... that trousers that has had a tear patched is somehow serving some lower purpose than a new set.

First thing I do on any Windows device is turn of all the fluff, windows classic interface....disable animations, etc. I find it odd that so few people do this. But I agree with the author "Looks do matter" I don't know why but they do. people buy computers ....well allegedly.... to make their eforts more productive. But by default, that machine when it arrives is not set up for maximum performance and productivity .... it' set up for maximum WOW on the OOBE. And unfortunately, form not subtance is what makes stuff fly off the shelves.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    WOW on the OOBE.
    Funny.
    it' set up for maximum WOW on the OOBE
    well... that depends on the user...

personally i prefer performance with looks than looks alone...
    or at least good performance w/ customizable looks...
    why because i use it for a cause & not just for showing off...
    Wow, that blog post was a joke. Every bit of screen real estate matters and shouldn't be wasted? Tell me about it...WM wastes space all over the place compared to the Palm OS GUI. And IMO, while the Palm OS GUI may look dated, WM doesn't win any awards either. The GUI widgets look like they're straight out of Windows 3.1.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  9.    #9  
    The idea wasn't that pretty and ease of use are closely related. It was / is that good, effective UI design is very closely linked to ease of use - and that this is even more the case on small-screened devices.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Are WM apps prettier than Palm apps? Almost always.

But the idea that pretty and ease of use are closely related is bogus. In almost every case, equivilent Palm apps are simpler to use and easier to understand. Palm apps typically require fewer actions (keystrokes, taps), and on the Treo can almost always be done w/o the stylus. On WM, equivilent functions generally require more actions or taps, and frequently require use of the stylus. And while I know WM lovers will disagree, drop down menus are just a lousy interface on a handheld.

Do Palm apps look dated? Sure. Are they less user friendly and harder to use as a result? Not a chance.
    PatrickJ:

I "get" the idea, but disagree with your statement. I think the author pretty strongly attempts to link looks (e.g., "pretty") and usability.

But I totally agree that good interface design is related to ease of use. I just totally disagree with the author's conclusion (actually, it's more of a postulate, since the article was clearly written to justify a predetermined belief) that WM offers a better interface than Palm. Yes, it's flashier. Yes, it's more modern. It's prettier, maybe, if you equate clutter to good looks. But no, it's not easier to use, not by a long shot.

By the ease of use standard, the 20 year old Palm interface is a much better example of good design than WM. Especially on a small screen. WM still drags along the legacy of Windows 3.1 and a mouse driven interface.

In fact, MS's inability to understand the concepts that make for a good small screen interface make me shudder to think what their ipod competitor is going to look like. I figure the Windows Media interface right out of WM Smartphone edition is what we have to look forward to as an example.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Hmmm, is this including the skinning apps like Zlauncher, SkinUI because with these 2 applications, my palm isn't dull and ugly but very osx like ^.^ It looks good and functions great.