Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi.
    I was just excited to read about the incoming Treo Lennon. It sounds really nice. Since I bought my 650 I switch to Blackberry and E61 but, honestly I cma eback to my "old" Treo. Now, the premises of Lennon are really attractive. The only big missing is the absence of a front camera to enable video call. Devices like the HTC TyTN will make the difference in this. Ok, most of you can say... do you really need a camera for videocall. Maybe no, but it will be a big missing. Also coz I consider the Treo a workaround smartphone, for everyone... from the businessman that need push email to the young that will find a good media device (MP3 and video player).

That's all. Hope untill they will release it they will find the way to add this feature too.

Ciao, Diego
    I am looking forward to getting one too
    Quote Originally Posted by dimarche75
    Ok, most of you can say... do you really need a camera for videocall. Maybe no, but it will be a big missing.
    Yeah right ....how am I gonna call in sick from the beach with that ?????
    Oh, that's when you say you're having connection difficulties.
    if screen resolution is 240-240 i am out. Also I would love to see Palm try itself out in Euro land with wifi card instead of built in wifi (that would be fun to watch). I would love to see how many people will buy new treo, even with vodaphone. Do you really think Palm can battle in WM5 category in europe with so-so features??? Goodluck Palm.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan
    if screen resolution is 240-240 i am out. Also I would love to see Palm try itself out in Euro land with wifi card instead of built in wifi (that would be fun to watch). I would love to see how many people will buy new treo, even with vodaphone. Do you really think Palm can battle in WM5 category in europe with so-so features???
    Well, you have a point. But -- as they say -- technological superiority has never won a product battle.
    The problem that I don't see what ease of use Palm adds to WM5. I tried a 700w and the only real things I saw were the lookup names in today and the pictures contacts.

I tried a Motorola Q recently and it did the exact same name lookup in the today screen the 700w does. I think the pictures contacts are close to useless and a third party is offering them now.

They would have done much better by improving the phone interface (it's the same as all other WM5 devices) and porting the favorites app from the 650/700p to WM5. Easy links to contacts, webpages, apps would be much more useful than the trivial stuff they did.

I think they are going to get buried in the WM5 space. I'd love to see what the 700w sales numbers really are.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmattyh
    Well, you have a point. But -- as they say -- technological superiority has never won a product battle.
    No, marketing muscle does...
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Nice avatar Trik! Now where's my pirate regalia?
    May sound a little silly, but I love that they have the google search bar right on the today screen on the 700w. I wish I could add that functionality to my 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmattyh
    You are right, but there is difference in superiority and competition. In Europe it is hard to live without wifi as there is no unlimited 3G wireless internet like in USA (may be I am wrong) so claiming wifi was not necessary is going to be hard in Palm case. Also to gain market share Palm has to atleast keep all WM5 features that other companies are offering (like high-Res screen) and then with its design and ease of use customization of WM5 (they call it Treo experience) they might get into groove in euro-land.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    You are right, but there is difference in superiority and competition. In Europe it is hard to live without wifi as there is no unlimited 3G wireless internet like in USA (may be I am wrong) so claiming wifi was not necessary is going to be hard in Palm case.
    T-Mobile UK unlimited 3G: 7.50 per month. Vodafone UK doesn't currently have an unlimited 3G plan but Vodafone Ireland does (so UK to follow soon?) There's a discussion of this with a few more details in this thread (post 16 onwards):

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=119941
    Still its crazy not to have wifi in a smartphone even here in USA, Europe is insane if you define smartphone without wifi. I dont travel much (may be 5-10 times a year) outside USA. And hate to keep PDA with me all the time just to use wifi. And with WM5 there is no excuse for not including it while other vendors are. Its very early to say what would be specs on new treo with vodaphone, but I would love to know what Palm would say when asked about wifi.

Still its crazy not to have wifi in a smartphone even here in USA, Europe is insane if you define smartphone without wifi.
    From a commercial point of view you might be right, but personally I'd rather have a GPS chip than Wifi in a 3G device - provided the 3G comes with a cheap, unlimited data plan that is.

I have Wifi at home and (bits of) work, but outside of those at the moment commercial hotspots only give patchy coverage and are really expensive. 3G (even non-HSDPA UMTS) is likely to be fast enough for my needs so GPS adds much more value for me. Sat nav is best addition I've made to any PDA or smartphone and the separate GPS receiver I have has been great, but I don't carry it everywhere and there are times when I don't have it but wish I had. If I'd had a phone with integrated GPS I wouldn't have got lost in London last week. Travelled by train, GPS in car
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I don't see why it has to be an either or situation. Why not both GPS and Wifi?

If push comes to shove, for me Wifi is more useful more often than GPS, but I'd like both.
    Like the Fujitsu Siemens Loox T830?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Like the Fujitsu Siemens Loox T830?

Surur
    I love it but still not sure if it will ever come out.

What about the HP hw6900 series. They have wifi and GPS.
    I love it but still not sure if it will ever come out.
    There are now many review units floating around. It will likely come out very soon.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    There are now many review units floating around. It will likely come out very soon.

Surur
    I know its coming but, I think there is some issue soing on. Hardly, if ever, I have seen product announced and then totally vanishes all of a sudden. I mean no date yet??? That is funny. Atleast Skype wifi phone (netgear one) was announced for July (well it is still 9 days till july ends).
    Personally, with all that technology inside one package, its hard not to suspect delievery.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast