Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sbradfor
    I'd like both.
    Me too. Unless it ends up being too big as a consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Like the Fujitsu Siemens Loox T830?
    The T830 isn't that much bigger than the Treo:

Treo 650: 11.3 x 5.9 x 2.3 = 153 cm3
    T830: 12.6 x 6.4 x 2.1 = 169 cm3

So it's far from inconceivable that someone could cram 3G, GPS and Wifi into a package the size of a Treo in the near future. Personally, however, I won't be buying a T830 because I think it's possibly the ugliest phone ever made:

T830 pics: http://msmobiles.com/news.php/4914.html

It has good specs, but Fujitsu Siemens should shoot the designer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    What about the HP hw6900 series. They have wifi and GPS.
    But no 3G. I wonder if the GPS is any better than in the hw6515? That seems pretty awful:

http://www.solopalmari.com/content/view/1815/143/
    Last edited by marcol; 07/22/2006 at 06:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    So it's far from inconceivable that someone could cram 3G, GPS and Wifi into a package the size of a Treo in the near future.
    Sorry for quoting myself. HTC Trinity seems to fit the above.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/01/h...nity-revealed/

No keyboard though.
    Sorry for quoting myself. HTC Trinity seems to fit the above.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/01/h...nity-revealed/

No keyboard though.
    Im using the HTC prophet right now and the mofo needs a keyboard. Although im good with transcriber my thumbs go way faster.

The mofo will be getting the HP 6900 device, as it has a static side keyboard...but the mofo is holding back because of the launch of HSDPA on rogers...(soon)...and it would be kinda odd to buy a device that cant take advantage of the tech...although I will get the device before the tech goes live...but yeah i hope there is a HSDPA device soon (from Palm or HP, as rogers will offer support....i feel nervous using a device with no real easy warranty servicing)
    As long as they drop Windows mobile OS from the Treo's, I'll be happy. The Linux mobile platform is supposed to be released 4th quarter 2006, so I am not even thinking of getting a new phone before then.
    Quote Originally Posted by fortezza
    As long as they drop Windows mobile OS from the Treo's, I'll be happy. The Linux mobile platform is supposed to be released 4th quarter 2006, so I am not even thinking of getting a new phone before then.
    Ive seen no sign that ALP will be out in less than 5 months, and you do know a) we dont know if Palm will take it b) It wont look or work like PalmOS and c) Even if they do, they need at least 6-9 months to integrate the OS in a device before they can ship it to you.

If you are talking about Palm's own Linux, unless you have inside info, we dont even know for sure if it exists, let alone when it will come out.

Surur
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    That's pretty much what I figured as well. Don't expect a Treo with Linux on it in the next year, probably next two years...
    Quote Originally Posted by fortezza
    Linux Mobile alreday has 23% market share, 6% more than WM. I think you are referring to PalmSource's ALP which should be released to developers shortly. I don't think we'll see ALP or PalmInc's rumored own version of Linux in the enxt releases.....Methinks we'll see the GSM Lennon (WM) and Nitro (POS) in 2006 followed by a Lennon (POS) in early 2007. I think those will be the last garnet devices that palm releases until the Linux stuff hits in time for XMas 2007
    Ive seen no sign that ALP will be out in less than 5 months, and you do know a) we dont know if Palm will take it b) It wont look or work like PalmOS and c) Even if they do, they need at least 6-9 months to integrate the OS in a device before they can ship it to you.
    A while ago PalmSource estimated SDK by end 2006, devices 2007.

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...inux-platform/

They do seem to have been making progress with ALP since then and now have a version ready for testing the compatibility of existing apps:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...linuxworld-sf/

I guess we'll know more about the status and how it looks and works after LinuxWorld in August.
    Yes, Jack posted that yesterday, and I must say, this is a clear sign that they are further ahead than we thought.

Surur
    This may be true but I wouldn't bet on the assumption that Palm will use ALP at all. Palm is noticeably missing from any Palmsource releases about ALP, they have made no comment about it at all, etc... I've done product marketing for software products and I can tell you this is the kiss of death. There is no way on earth you would do announcements, press releases, etc... without something from your biggest customer. It's not like it's a surprise that they would be using the OS (like Apple before they announced the switch to Intel processors) so there is nothing to gain by hiding it. Every sign I see shows a big disconnect between Palmsource and Palm. My money is that Palm will never ever release a product using ALP.

A while ago PalmSource estimated SDK by end 2006, devices 2007.

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...inux-platform/

They do seem to have been making progress with ALP since then and now have a version ready for testing the compatibility of existing apps:

I guess we'll know more about the status and how it looks and works after LinuxWorld in August.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Yes, Jack posted that yesterday
    Oops. Sorry, Jack (Surur, et al.) I must try to keep up!
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    This may be true but I wouldn't bet on the assumption that Palm will use ALP at all. Palm is noticeably missing from any Palmsource releases about ALP, they have made no comment about it at all, etc... I've done product marketing for software products and I can tell you this is the kiss of death. There is no way on earth you would do announcements, press releases, etc... without something from your biggest customer. It's not like it's a surprise that they would be using the OS (like Apple before they announced the switch to Intel processors) so there is nothing to gain by hiding it. Every sign I see shows a big disconnect between Palmsource and Palm. My money is that Palm will never ever release a product using ALP.
    Actually Apple did announce the Intel transition prior to machines being ready. (From memory) announced June 2005, Intel iMacs and MacBook Pros Jan and Feb 2006. That aside (and it is a different situation: Apple is the OS manufacturer and wanted to announce prior to shipping to allow developers some time to make Intel native versions of their apps or at least test emulation compatibility; Palm is a device manufacturer and PalmSource is doing the prerelease announcement stuff for ALP) I guess there are several possibilities. These are some that come immediately to mind:

1) Palm is going to go all WM5 and has no intention of using ALP;
    2) Palm is making it's Palm OS and has no intention of using ALP;
    3) Palm is thinking of using ALP but is playing hardball with Access (over licensing costs?);
    4) Palm is thinking of using ALP but wants to see if it's any good before they commit;
    5) Palm has committed to ALP but asked PalmSource not reveal this, perhaps because they don't want the hit on sales of current devices that this might entail or because they don't want to sour relations with MicroSoft before they have to.

Etc. Very hard to know at this stage without some insider info. Time will tell.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I thought Palm was working on their own Linux OS? Is this incorrect?
    A number of rumors have said this. Palm themselves have said nothing. There have been job opening at Palm for Linux engineers and some have inferred that they are building their own OS.

I personally wouldn't be surprised. Based on no public statements, it's easy to infer that they don't have much confidence or some other problem about ALP. They leaves them Microsoft or build your own. While offering Microsoft on some products might make sense, unless they want to be a hardware commodity seller, they can't depend on the Borg. If you have to make your own, then Linux is the obvious choice.

Based on what I've seen from Palmsource (nothing) and the good but minor software that Palm has done (phone app, Blazer enhancements, minor PIM enhancements), I would trust Palm more than Palmsource at this point. In my opinion Palmsource will end up being an OS supplier to the phone market in China. They can make alot of money this way but it's not something that is of any interest to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sbradfor
    I thought Palm was working on their own Linux OS? Is this incorrect?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I thiunk Palm pursuing their own OS is a great idea even if they have no plans to use it....they can't let themselves be at the mercy of a 3rd party....pursuing development means they keep PalmSource and MS on their toes and can negotiate friendlier terms. then if allelse fails they ain't at the starting point of an 18-24 month process and what they do learn in R & D they can use to customize as they did with WM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    pursuing development means they keep PalmSource and MS on their toes and can negotiate friendlier terms.
    Agreed. I guess Access's Palm-app-compatible OS (ALP) would be a pretty difficult sell if it were competing with a Palm-app-compatible OS called 'Palm OS' and made and sold by Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    In my opinion Palmsource will end up being an OS supplier to the phone market in China.
    You might be right but I don't think that is the sole plan at the moment. Whether these early screen shots represent anything like the finished product or not:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...at-linuxworld/

the interface is undeniably in English! Similarly the latest news has Access demoing ALP in the US (not China):

I think Palm pursuing their own OS is a great idea even if they have no plans to use it....they can't let themselves be at the mercy of a 3rd party....pursuing development means they keep PalmSource and MS on their toes and can negotiate friendlier terms. then if all else fails they ain't at the starting point of an 18-24 month process and what they do learn in R & D they can use to customize as they did with WM.
    Ehsan, Surur, here's a link to a review of the Loox T830 phone:

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/5408.html

There's a link to the original French review, but they give you the highlights. There are more pics in the french review as well. 240x240 still sucks tho. Plus, I'm on Sprint, so...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast