Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It has been too controlled by service provider in US (verizon,sprint,etc) therefore it has no WIFI being installed in the device
    WIFI has become an important MUST HAVE specification in a pdaphone especially with the availability and great improvement of voip, it can be used to lower your data bill with your carrier

The worst of all is there is NO 3G, it is very funny a little device like LG U890 is downloading data faster than my treo. EVDO is a less universal type of network on Earth. It is time to speak WCDMA/UMTS.

Another problem is its "BORING" style and design
    Imagine a PALM OS in Sony Ericsson P990i or HTC (xda,dopod,t-mobile MDA,qtek) . It would be great isnt it?

So PALM please dont put too much orientation to the US market. The other part of the world is enjoying Windows Mobile 5 and getting used to it.

Bottom of the line: I love the software (PALM OS), but I hate the hardware (design, connectivity capability 3G,WIFI)

I am buying XDA EXEC, I will test it for a month or so. If i am happy with it, I would list my treo 650 on ebay.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by esatyawan
    It has been too controlled by service provider in US....
    Agreed. I used Palm PDAs for many years, then moved to a Treo beacause it saved me carrying a phone and a Palm. Giving phone service providers so much say over the features makes no sense AT ALL to me - I want lots of features in my PDA, plus the extra abilities that having a built in phone brings, NOT a phone with (badly) added PDA features.

Palm is letting the phone/tail wag the PDA/dog
    The Treo style and design is anything but "boring". No other manufacturer has managed to crack the form-factor and elegance of the Treo design. I'd say that the XDA/ O2/ Nokia Communicator/ Blackberry have un-imaginative designs. Remember that the Treo 600/ 650 is more than four years old, and is a classic, especially the 600. I tend to think of it as the Porsche 911 of mobile phones - very desirable and a little quirky, definitely not for everyone...

Samsung and LG have quiet a few innovative designs, but they are swamped among the other run-of-the-mill phones in their catalog.

UMTS and WiFi will eventually come to the Treo, maybe with Linux/ WM OS and that will be the end of PalmOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex
    The Treo style and design is anything but "boring". No other manufacturer has managed to crack the form-factor and elegance of the Treo design. I'd say that the XDA/ O2/ Nokia Communicator/ Blackberry have un-imaginative designs. Remember that the Treo 600/ 650 is more than four years old, and is a classic, especially the 600. I tend to think of it as the Porsche 911 of mobile phones - very desirable and a little quirky, definitely not for everyone...

Samsung and LG have quiet a few innovative designs, but they are swamped among the other run-of-the-mill phones in their catalog.

UMTS and WiFi will eventually come to the Treo, maybe with Linux/ WM OS and that will be the end of PalmOS.
    Nope.

The form factor issue was great few years ago . A number of competitiors have the same form factor.I have dumped my Treo 650 for E61 . i cann't believe , why you people or so stuck with these phones . There is no major changes in form factor , resent issues , memory , wifi etc.
    People are slowly strating to move away from Treo's. I would n't compare them to porsche .Ford would be a better comparison.Being in India a 600 $ phone certainly would get comparison of Porsche( Not being sarcisitic , it's sum in indian money), not as affordable. specially when your service providers don't give you the discounts etc..

Here are Some
    E61.
    Moto Q
    SE 990 p
    SE 910
    Last edited by Mtreosexual; 07/16/2006 at 10:20 AM.
    Treo's days are numbered."Some unknown device will kill it soon ".
    The Treo 700w is coming to UK in a few months. It appears when they get there they are in for a nasty surprise. In USA they are struggling with the Moto Q. In UK they will be facing the Samsung SGH-i320. Previously the main difference between the Q and the Samsung was that the Q was 3G, while the Samsung was just GPRS. Now it appears the Samsung will be 3 G also, and will have video conferencing. The situation will be almost exactly the same in Europe as in USA. See some pictures at the link.

http://clieuk.co.uk/wm.shtml

Surur
    Yeah , i forgot to mention SGH -i320.
    Treo's are in for serious whuppin from this one.
    Treo's days are numbered."Some unknown device will kill it soon ".
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    I would n't compare them to porsche .Ford would be a better comparison.Being in India a 600 $ phone certainly would get comparison of Porsche( Not being sarcisitic , it's sum in indian money), not as affordable. specially when your servvice providers don't give you the discounts etc..
    I don't want to run this argument to the ground, but just to set the record straight, the street price of a Treo 650 (Rs. 21,000/-) is around 4/5ths of an equivalent Nokia Communicator (Rs. 27,000/-), and 1/2 of SE 910 and 1/3rd of a Jasjar (Rs. 55,000). And all these more expensive phones are more popular than the Treo.

Just as with the Porsche that has more expensive, up-to-date and higher performing competitors. My reason for mentioning the Porsche 911 is that there is no reason to change a classic shape... a little cleaning-up maybe.

The primary reason for a $10-20 phone is India. And mobile phone charges are the minimum you can get anywhere. Probaby. Phone calls average around 1 to 2 Rupees, with some plans going less then a Rupee... Unlimited GPRS is free with some providers and less then USD 5.00 p.m. with my provider. Many people flaunt more than one phone.
    Here are Some
    E61.
    Moto Q
    SE 990 p
    SE 910
    No doubt the above are or will be extremely popular despite their cost.
    I'm pretty sure the lack of wifi and 3g gsm Technologies are limitations of the palm operating system. sprint, verizon and cingular all carry wifi enabled devices. the issue here is that palm os 5 is too old to support these technologies efficiently. i think we'll see more of these features with a new os release from palm.
  9.    #9  
    Must have the following:

-Palm OS possibly upgraded to a nicer layout (like going from Windows XP to Windows Vista)
    -3G
    -Wifi
    -Decent 2MP camera
    -Palm Factor
    -Sony Ericsson Style . Look at M600i , it is like a new BMW 5 Series, very radical

For the time being I will test my XDA EXEC

In one month trial period I will let you guys know which device I would keep

Cheers
  10.    #10  
    A device must not be a classic like a rolls royce
    RATHER it has to be a radical like BMW 5

Thats my opinion
    It has been too controlled by service provider in US (verizon,sprint,etc) therefore it has no WIFI being installed in the device
    WIFI has become an important MUST HAVE specification in a pdaphone especially with the availability and great improvement of voip, it can be used to lower your data bill with your carrier
    You understand that the carriers make money by you using their data versus free wifi, right? I am suprised that any of the carriers allow any wifi cell devices. Now as a consumer, it would be nice to have wifi but with cheap data plans it is not a must-have for me. There have only been a few times where I only have wifi access and do not have a full computer near me. However, I understand that is not the situation for everyone.

I think Palm will offer Treos that are more competitive with devices used throughout the world but until recently they have really been focused on the US market. That will change soon, I'm sure.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    SGH 320 ROCK !!!!!! if only it is in Palm OS. I had tried MW5 for 1 week and give up.
    Need WIFI, 3.5G, slim and light form factor for Treo to win me back from Samsung i600 !!!!!
  13.    #13  
    Cheap data plan is NOT available in all countries

I know that US have the competitive plan compared to any other carriers around the world

This is why in my humble opinion, TREO should learn the customer behaviour and what customers are facing in countries other than US itself
  14.    #14  
    SGH 320 is a WM5 as well, only it has orientation towards a smarthphone than towards a PDA. The only setback with WM5(Smartphone) that it has no pocket office (words,excel) capability
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I had dopod 838.. it is WM5 and wifi. The OS just turn me off. SGHi320 with Palm OS would be great and I gather that SGHi320 does not have wifi... I don't need wifi as I am on the move all the time but the form factor will go well with me.
    Need WIFI, 3.5G, slim and light form factor for Treo to win me back from Samsung i600 !!!!!
    Must have the following:

-Palm OS possibly upgraded to a nicer layout (like going from Windows XP to Windows Vista)
    -3G
    -Wifi
    -Decent 2MP camera
    -Palm Factor
    -Sony Ericsson Style . Look at M600i , it is like a new BMW 5 Series, very radical
    When my county completes its "border to border" WiFI network 2-4 years from now, this will be interesting...until then....no bigga deal.

3G while a given isn't really that interesting inless you are in a major city with coverage.....coverage maps and other carrier claims aside, coverage in reality is still sparse.

I wouldn't much care if they left the camera out. Convenience is often offset by restrictions on where you can bring it.

I don't think I have ever bought a tool (and that's what the Treo is .....a communications tool) and compared the "style" of it to a competitor's proiduct. I am solely interested in what my tools can do. When not in use they are tucked safely out of sight.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Well in this part of the world (Europe and Asia) at least, PDA phone and mobile are not tools. they are part of life style. We had one of the greatest selection of mobile around and the competition really drive innovation in term of style and functions.
    Oh we got those over here too....aka Paris Hilton types....it just depends what is important to you I guess. When the car breaks down, I kinda worry about the thing working rather than how good I look standing on the side of the road using it
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Got your point but I am thinking out loud that it would be really nice to have choice.. Look at MW5, there are so many hardware to choose from... from ugly to ultra sexy and the consumer could really exercise their vote. On the other hand, on Palm OS PDA-Phone, we basically have one... there are other minor player such Xplore but....
    People are slowly strating to move away from Treo's.
    That's funny.

Palm announced their highest quarter of Treo sales recently but people are moving away from them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast