1.    #1  
    http://tamspalm.tamoggemon.com/2006/...nt-and-future/

Just an update on LG's licensing of the Palm OS last year.

Seven years ago, LG was involved in the development of the very first smartphone with PalmOS. Six years after that, LG buys a licence to use PalmOS. They don’t come a dime a dozen and a company like LG would not buy a licence just for fun. So they must have something up their sleeves - they already had plenty of time and experience to develop something big. Considering what LG was able to develop seven years ago the hopefully coming Palm Powered smartphone could be a killer device….
    Interesting.... It would be nice to see a new POS device on the market.
    I read that earlier today, tis very interesting.

If I were LG, I'd pull out of nowhere with a Cobalt smartphone or two just to do it as a marketing exercise. I'd pump enough dev into it to at least equal the 650/700 in terms of functinoality, knowing still that a ton of programs would break, and then market it as the anti-Treo PalmOS device. It would be a feather in their cap and then probably a bit of a boon to the Palm economy while giving Palm a glimpse as to what they probably could have done themselves if given te effort.

Of course, it would also be a waste of money for LG to do so unless it would actualyl steal Treo users as well as WM/Symbian users. But shoot, it would make for a heck of a risk and not a bad one.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    All we can do is to hope some other manufactuere to come up with different form factor that Treo. I will wait for that day to come (but I have been waiting for years... and almost given up). I guess we are Treo sucker who get gaga over a slightly improve Treo.. and pay hefty price for it. Treo need competitors.
    Need WIFI, 3.5G, slim and light form factor for Treo to win me back from Samsung i600 !!!!!
  5.    #5  
    I don't much care what it looks like....as long a sit still fits my hand and I can continue to use it w/ one hand I'll keep buying every other one. I will never keep a phone less than 18 months unless something hits that is just "the bomb".
    LG Chocolate is nice
    If they launch an improved design of PALM OS device , while retaining the form factor of treo , It would be a good idea
    OOoh, a LG Chocolate Treo-ish device

Screw the keyboard, that would out right sell to any fashion conscious person IMO.

People who even think about buying Treo's care about fashion?

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I sure don't. To me it is utterly useless. Give me function every time.
    feel me for a sec:
    I have had a GSPDA, a Treo 600 and 650, and a T616 in the past year and a half to play with. While the T616 was by far the best phone of them all, the Treo 650 the best communicator of them all, the GSPDA model was the one that really made me turn my head. It was a phone in every sense, just ran the PalmOS and many of the programs I liked worked well. They didnt have as refined a 5way setup as the Treos, but given that, and its style it would have done well here (lower priced than the Treo of course).

I could see LG (or anyone) pull off the same thing. But no one can dispute that a phone that both works well, as well as looks well, is something worth noting. Treos dont look well (not one lick of evolution since the 600) but they work well. All I am saying is one can ask for another who has their hat in the fray to step out and do what Palm seemingly cannot.

i do hope they have a unique function of their palm version like verizon for treos (wireless sync)...

just a useful unique function & it could put their device in the spotlights...
    I don't understand what you mean. ALL Palm OS devices, not just the Treo, can sync wirelessly...

what i mean is a SW built solemly for that sense...

and it's just an example...

well they could put a built in voice dial SW just to lay down more examples...
    And maybe they could bundle their own version of every single piece of 3rd party software out there and squash all of the developers. I understand what you are saying, but part of the reason I am (and I'm sure others are) attracted to the Palm OS is the widespread user-end development and how Palm goes out of their way to support that. As opposed to how practically the only applications available for Nokia devices (for example) are the one's which Nokia releases...

Quote Originally Posted by Antoine
    I could see LG (or anyone) pull off the same thing. But no one can dispute that a phone that both works well, as well as looks well, is something worth noting. Treos dont look well (not one lick of evolution since the 600) but they work well. All I am saying is one can ask for another who has their hat in the fray to step out and do what Palm seemingly cannot.
    Agreed, but how many companies are making their version of the iPod? How many companies have actually made that iPod. Yes, it's possible that a company may possibly create a device that exceeds our expectations without looking like a beast, but it's very, very rare. And usually when companies try that, it comes out terrible in both aspects. Sticking with the MP3 player theme, take a look at all of the "iPod killers", how many function as well as the iPod and look just as good. Out of all the competitors, I can think of maybe one or two devices (not companies) that have accomplished their goal.
    Last edited by FrozenCode; 07/21/2006 at 06:26 PM.