1.    #1  
    http://www.pdalive.com/showarticle.php?threadid=11427

Scalado has developed a new software engine that solves many problems of imaging in today’s megapixel cameraphones.

The Swedish company calls it “CAPS”, which stands for “CAmera Phone Solution”. And it is claimed to make image processing times up to 10x faster and at the same time use up to 50x less memory. This can be achieved by using patented mathematical algorithms and super-efficient JPEG image management.

According to Scalado, a typical camera engine requires approximately 11.5 MB of memory to process a 2-megapixel image, whereas CAPS will need just 553 KB. What’s more, this can be done without loss of performance and even faster.

Scalado believes its solution will help phone makers easily migrate from VGA to megapixel cameras, resulting in lesser production expenditures. This should, in turn, lead to cheaper and better cameraphones for the end user.
    I would love to have a better camera (although my 650 isnt that bad) but as your quote says, they have to address the file size and rendering issue.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

While higher resolution would be nice, it's really not going to matter if the lens is no good.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    this would be a plus+++ on top of the many features I'd like to see on future treos. if you want a better camera integrated phone I'd suggest going either the Nokia (n-series) or Sony route. just imo.
    If my hunch is right, Palm might pull their Euro Treo with at least 3Mpx just because SE and Nokia make that the calling card there. So them doing a 6Mpx wouldnt been too far down the line.

Of course, in the US we have t hose excellent MMS rates and therefore for a 3Mpx image it would be essentially another phone line in terms of cost...man we gotta get a better system here.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    That fact that it is software brings up an interesting question. The fact that this software will have to be integrated into code which will have to be tested could make it less likely to be installed in a Treo than a new camera module which works with existing code, regardless that the quality of the camera module would be less than the image quality produced by this software....

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    That fact that it is software brings up an interesting question. The fact that this software will have to be integrated into code which will have to be tested could make it less likely to be installed in a Treo than a new camera module which works with existing code, regardless that the quality of the camera module would be less than the image quality produced by this software....
    This like the new nVidia stuff and the new sound chips I posted about sometime back aren't things we are gonna see in 3 months, 6 months, 12 months....this stuff is well down the line....I'd say 18-36 months.
    palm never put cutting edge technology in their products. the euro-treo will have 'only' a 1.3 megapixel camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Japorms
    palm never put cutting edge technology in their products. the euro-treo will have 'only' a 1.3 megapixel camera.
    Exactly...it would also be a nice touch to add some type of flash capabilities when needed...dreamin
    at&t iPhone3G