Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just thought I'd report my experience with Telenav. I paid $60 for 6 months service and received a GPS receiver free from these guys. The receiver is mine to keep. The software was simple to install and it works unbelievably well. I can't believe that for $10/month I have a GPS that talks to me just like the $3k unit in the new cars. All on my 650. I strongly recommend Telenav.
    Does anyone know if Telenav is going to add a 3d view for the Treo? I have Tomtom and Telenav and I would use Telenav exclusively if they added the 3d view and nice interface like TomTom 6.

I think Tomtom's menus look better but the voice prompts on Telenav are far superior.
    I'm told a 3D version is imminent, for both Palm OS and WM. Friend of mine works there in marketing. I've been HOUNDing him mercilessly....
    Thanks, that is really exciting news.

I hate to pay for Telenav monthly when I already have TomTom 6 but the voice prompts in Telenav are just so nice. I also like the call in an address feature.
    How are the voice prompts on Telenav that make them nice? Do they physically say the name of the street (Turn left onto Third Street versus Turn left in 300 feet)? I have been using Tomtom 5 exclusively and am looking either to upgrade to Tomtom 6 or get Telenav. Also, jfscars48, did you order directly through Telenav to get the bundle with free GPS?
    I've used TeleNav, too; I traveled from Baltimore to upstate NY. (Paid for my own receiver from Cingular ). Still, the service works well. I've reduced my plan to 10 round trips a month for $6, which fits my needs well.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jfscars48 View Post
    Just thought I'd report my experience with Telenav. I paid $60 for 6 months service and received a GPS receiver free from these guys. The receiver is mine to keep. The software was simple to install and it works unbelievably well. I can't believe that for $10/month I have a GPS that talks to me just like the $3k unit in the new cars. All on my 650. I strongly recommend Telenav.

How did you get the receiver for free?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by trojanvision View Post
    How are the voice prompts on Telenav that make them nice? Do they physically say the name of the street (Turn left onto Third Street versus Turn left in 300 feet)? I have been using Tomtom 5 exclusively and am looking either to upgrade to Tomtom 6 or get Telenav. Also, jfscars48, did you order directly through Telenav to get the bundle with free GPS?
    Yes they do say the name of the street.
    Thanks, all, for the replies! I am still fickle on my upgrade route--whether I want to stick with TT and get tomtom 6 or if I want to jump to telenav. I know that's a whole different thread, but this one has been insightful about telenav. Thanks for your input.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    I'm told a 3D version is imminent, for both Palm OS and WM. Friend of mine works there in marketing. I've been HOUNDing him mercilessly....
    Telenav has been a true asset for me. I love the voice promts and I really like being able to call in my address versus inputing manually. All I am missing now is being able to avoid traffic.

Since you have access to the inside of Telenav, do you know whether traffic info will be available for the TREO or not?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I reviewed TeleNav a couple months ago. Excellent service and the voice prompts are crystal clear, spoken by real human beings, not robotic text to speech synthesis. It can speak virtually every street name in the USA. I have it on both my Sprint Treo 650 and 700p..

Here's my review:
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1034-1.htm

In my opinion, the people who left "thumbs down" comments in the "opinionate" section of my review are people who have either never used it, or have a personal agenda (maybe work for a company that produces a competing GPS system?)..

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Harv,
    Do you notice a difference in performance on the 650 vs. the 700P? I have been contemplating trying out Telenav, but my 700P suffers from the "lag issues" that many 700P owners have noted. Just want to make sure that Telenav doesn't "slow" down the phone any more than it is already! Any reset issues after using the service? I know some folks have commented on resets c Tom Tom, etc. Any other 700P owners c Telenav have any comments on its "performance" on the 700P?
    thanks all,
    D
    I originally started using Telenav on my Blackberry 8700c when we moved from Texas to Ohio.. It was invaluable when we first got here and still learning our way around. Once I ditched the 'Berry for my Treo 750, I was just as pleased.

I've used it in different cities too.. I took it with me when we went to California, and it was a godsend when we were trying to figure out how to get from Point A to Point B..

I too, would like the 3D map, but the moving map is enough for the time being. I have the older GPS receiver as well, and am thinking about upgrading (so that i can give the old one to my wife, who has my 'Berry as well)

mG
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    3D maps are coming. Not sure when but should be in the next couple of months. This info is directly from Telenav.

http://forum.telenav.com/viewtopic.php?t=1441
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyDoc View Post
    Harv,
    Do you notice a difference in performance on the 650 vs. the 700P? I have been contemplating trying out Telenav, but my 700P suffers from the "lag issues" that many 700P owners have noted. Just want to make sure that Telenav doesn't "slow" down the phone any more than it is already! Any reset issues after using the service? I know some folks have commented on resets c Tom Tom, etc. Any other 700P owners c Telenav have any comments on its "performance" on the 700P?
    thanks all,
    D
    Hi. In my experience using TeleNav on both the 650 and the 700p, I found its performance to be almost identical. The 700p marginally faster at pulling down the maps and the voice prompting.. these are relatively small wads of data.. it's not like downloading huuuuuuuuuge files where the difference between 1xRTT and EVDO is so horribly obvious, like when loading full size versions of Web sites.. or streaming audio or video.. where the 700p out-performs the 650 by leaps and bounds..

I don't remember any "lag issues" that made using it on the 700p unpleasant..

The 700p is long overdue for some kind of ROM upgrade, as I've seen that blank white screen from time to time while switching apps but I'd have to say that TeleNav performs quite nicely on it.. they have various plans so you don't have to commit yourself to some long-term expensive plan but you can try it out short term, and if you already have a modern Bluetooth GPS receiver (preferably a SiRF Star III equipped model..) .. that's all you need..

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Thanks, Harv!!
    D
    I'm still waiting to hear about how you got the FREE GPS with the service.

I didn't see that option on their website..

Please respond...
    --------------
    The Judge
    Houston, Tx.
    TeleNav is now at version 5 and has a much improved interface and 3D mapping.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    I have loaded the Sprint 700p 3D version on both a 680 and 755p. Works great on both with 3D view.

If you sign up for a 1 year subscription, its $99. Works out to $8.25 a month!

I find by googling "ota.telenav" click the first link and it automatically detects which device you have and downloads the new program...I got it this way last night...looks good so far.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast