Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55
  1.    #1  
    The treo 650
    released 2004 (two years ago)

    Its OUTDATED
    This is what we are missing (or reasons to get another device, I'm not gonna list hardware only, but also features:

    Bluetooth 2.0 (in almost every device now)

    WiFi (In way too many business or high end devices)

    A decent camera (the Sony Ericcsson K800 has 3.2 MP, 2048x1536 pixels, autofocus, video(QCIF), xenon flash; secondary video call VGA camera) http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_k800-1485.php

    Advanced camera features (the above mentioned phone takes a burst of 9 pictures in milliseconds so you can choose the most perfect picture of them, useful to avoid the image of someone blinking)

    Radio (same SE phone has RDS FM radio)

    Decent Internal Memory (SE W950 has 4 GB internal memory)
    http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_w950-1443.php

    Unknown track identifier (in the above phone too)

    Choice of Forms (Slider, flip or bar. Why not? Samsung has a choice of the thinninst phones on earth in all categories. the Samsung X820 is a bar shaped phone and the thinninst in existance at 6.9mm)

    No antennas present in any device

    TV output (despite the Samsung X820 being the thinniest phone ever, it has a TV output so you can perform Presentations or show pictures on any TV or projector. Something Treo's fail to do)
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_x820-1556.php

    A good deal of devices use 3G networks for videocalls

    Push to talk

    An actual flash or LED light in the device

    Some people WILL say (ooh these are all from different phones)
    Well, look at the SE P990
    Or the iMate JasJar
    Perfect complete packages (if thats what you want)

    But note: people are using Symbian OS now or WM5
    Who uses Palm but Palm?
    Yes its a great system, but do you see anyone picking it up? No. Actually, third parties who picked it up have given up on it.

    Just look what neuteral companies choose for smart phones:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i320...l-news-204.php

    Its a shame
    real shame

    I see my Treo getting old and tiered, and cannot change it with anothr Palm even if I wanted.

    tsk tsk.
  2. #2  
    So if the Samsung and Sony are so great, why don't you buy one?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  3. #3  
    Again, another post picking features from a multitude of phones and saying "Why doesn't Palm put them all in one box ?"

    My answer ..... If was so easy "Why hasn't anyone else put all those things in the same box ?" Not 3 features in this model and 4 features in this other model....all in the same box.

    The non ultra geek market doesn't support release cycles shorter than 18 months or so. Company CFO's aren't going to spring for their geekiest employees to get new hardware every six months. All but the geekiest gadget hounds have difficulty setting aside several hundred dollars every 6 months. Focus group studies show this actually pi$$es people off when they spend $600 on something and it's outdated a few months later, leaving them with a nice case of buyer's remorse.

    You used a term of 2 years and it would appear that Palm has something on the horizon exactly 2 years after the 650 beta (Sprint Model) was released. People will complain that it took too long to get to market, and then people will complain again that it was rushed to market and wasn't tested enough first.

    Treo users are like spouses....they have a quarter of a century to pick out THE one they want and then after doing so and marrying them, the spouse immediately becomes the object of non relenting complaints. "Why aren't you handy like Marge's husband ?" "Why can't you cook like Martha Stewart ?"
  4. Debo's Avatar
    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    "Why aren't you handy like Marge's husband ?" "Why can't you cook like Martha Stewart ?"
    Do you actually know someone named Marge? (Simpson does not count).
  5. #5  
    I have an aunt "Margie"
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Again, another post picking features from a multitude of phones and saying "Why doesn't Palm put them all in one box ?"

    My answer ..... If was so easy "Why hasn't anyone else put all those things in the same box ?" Not 3 features in this model and 4 features in this other model....all in the same box.
    A lot of the features the OP mentioned aren't important on a smartphone IMO (push to talk? radio? large built in storage? sliding, flip form? not needed in a smartphone, especially if it's meant to be a business device). However, things like wifi and a flash on the camera are basic things that are included in most WM5 smartphones, but not in Palm smartphones. It is true that Palm lags behind technology wise (2 years later and the button on your BT headset still doesn't initiate voice dialing like cheap RAZR's and WM5 phones do ). The reason why Palm hasn't put these features in is because the PalmOS is too limited to support a lot of these things without significant (namely, expensive) alterations, plus they still have a loyal fanbase that will buy their products regardless of certain missing features, so they may not see some of these features as being worth their time.

    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Treo users are like spouses....they have a quarter of a century to pick out THE one they want and then after doing so and marrying them, the spouse immediately becomes the object of non relenting complaints. "Why aren't you handy like Marge's husband ?" "Why can't you cook like Martha Stewart ?"
    I think that's true of most products, especially smartphones, where most products don't come with exactly everything that everyone wants. No one's released a "perfect" product yet. IMO, the reason why some Treo users complain is because for the price you pay for new Treos, 1. There's usually not a huge improvement in terms of functionality between the new Treo and old Treo 2. There are other devices that usually offer similar or better functionality for the same or less money. 3. Palm doesn't update their OS enough. Palm OS5 is like 2 years old, while WM5 just recently came out last year, and is still receiving updates, while Palm users are basically going to have to wait for ALP (07 or 08 at the earliest) and basically have to switch to an entirely new platform that may have limited backwards compatibility.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks Trevante
    Thats bsically what I was going for

    I don't "NEED" all what I said,I'm just pointing out that the Palm and Treo is severly outdated! Severly! A year back I could argue (and did) that this is the best you can buy as an allrounded stable smartphone. But now, vga camera? bluetooth 1? Fine if there is anything on the horizon. I'll wait. But I really feel abandoned!
    There is nofirm news or press releases saying there will be a light at the end of this tunnle!

    And this new news of "Hollywood" being WM5, and what your saying that another palm OS isn't due until 07 or 08 and the fact that it probably woun't be backword compatible means: This Palm OS Ship is sinking. bail out now.

    Palm is turning into a hardware manufacturer ala iMate & O2. If a new Palm OS will be introduced after two years, what chances does it have against WM5 and Symbian 9 if its not fully compatible with current POS5?

    tsk tsk

    I am a sad Palm fan
  8. #8  
    Well it's not really going to be "PalmOS", it's Access Linux Platform (ALP). I'm not saying there won't be any backwards compatibility with PalmOS apps, but more than likely, with most new platforms and backwards compatibility, there are going to be a few rotten eggs in the bunch that won't work unless they're re-written or the new OS is patched/updated.

    I believe Palm is already a hardware manufacturer. They split from PalmSource (the OS makers) and PalmSource was bought by Access (hence the Access Linux Platform).
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Debo
    Do you actually know someone named Marge? (Simpson does not count).
    http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/4560/peewee0sv.jpg
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    However, things like wifi and a flash on the camera are basic things that are included in most WM5 smartphones, but not in Palm smartphones. It is true that Palm lags behind technology wise (2 years later and the button on your BT headset still doesn't initiate voice dialing like cheap RAZR's and WM5 phones do ).
    Again, where all the Palm features that are must have's in these phones ....

    Does it have a touch screen....no...trash can it
    Does it have a slide out keyboard....yes...trash can it
    Can it be used one handed....no....trash can it

    Geez, you know my Porsche will get stuck in 6 inches of snow....they sure are behind technology wise...why can't they pull themsleves out of a measley 6 inches of snow, like a cheap pickup truck can ?

    You can make a vehicle to haul 6500 pounds, ride over 6" obstacles and ya can find one that can do 185 mph ... but you ain't likely to find a manufacturer that pouts both capabilities in the same box.

    Don't tell me about the Razr until it can do what I rely on my Treo to do...primarily working 1 handed, run 3rd party programs and do all the other things we do with it thet the Razr can't do. Engineers get a box to fit stuff in and there's a limit to what they can fit....saying box A can do these 5, only 4 of which the Palm can do and box B can do these 5 only 4 of which the Palm can do does not make them superior to Box C which does 8 of them.
  11. #11  
    I don't know, personally I thought the clamshell design of the 300 was perfect, a bit bulky, but that was expected at the time. I can't see Palm putting in a nice camera, flash maybe, but nothing more. The TV output and FM radio seem pointless and outside of Palm's target audience. It seems your list is so incredibly varied that it cannot be marketed. Yes, there is such a thing. If a device can do all of that then certain aspects appeal to a certain group of people and the other aspects are seen by those people as wasted memory and battery. Yet another group will like those same features which the first group hates and hate the same features which the first group likes. In summary, Palm cannot satisfy every want of every consumer without impacting their profits negatively. Instead they pick and choose which features go in which phone.


  12. #12  
    "Severly" made me chuckle
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  13. Debo's Avatar
    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    #13  
    I'm not sure I want to know why you keep that picture around
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Debo
    I'm not sure I want to know why you keep that picture around
    When I was a kid I was scared by "Large Marge" from Pee Week's Great Adventure. Besides Mrs. Simpson, Large Marge is the only Marge I can think of. :-)
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by redbelt
    Thanks Trevante
    Thats bsically what I was going for

    I don't "NEED" all what I said,I'm just pointing out that the Palm and Treo is severly outdated! Severly! A year back I could argue (and did) that this is the best you can buy as an allrounded stable smartphone. But now, vga camera? bluetooth 1? Fine if there is anything on the horizon. I'll wait. But I really feel abandoned!
    Like I said. If those other phones are so much better, buy one! No one's forcing you to use a Treo. I'd say the fact that you are still using one indicates that "this is the best you can buy as an allrounded stable smartphone." If you really felt otherwise, you'd buy something different.

    Is the Treo perfect? No, of course not. Are there other features I'd like to see? Sure. Do I really need any of them? Probably not. Does anyone else make a better smartphone? Not for my needs.

    My biggest gripe about Palm is how little improvement they've made to the software over the years. The 700 software isn't much different than the 600's (and in some ways it's worse). Heck, the PIM software isn't much different than that on my old Palm III.

    In terms of the phone specific software, there are dozens of functions and capabilities that are available on cheap (even free) phones that Palm can't be bothered to add to the Treo. Many of these features are available with 3rd party software, but they should be standard.

    And in terms of PIM capabilities, there have been hardly any improvements since forever. The calendar on the 650 and 700 are a step backwards from what was on the 600, and a company that built it's business on the PIM part of PDAs should be embarassed by how limited it is compared to 3rd party products. It's mind boggling that Palm hasn't figured out how to allow us to sort and search contacts by last name AND first name AND company name. I'm not a big user of Tasks, but I might be if it did more (Yes, I know there are 3rd party products--but why hasn't Palm evolved it's own apps?)

    Heck, Palm doesn't even need to do R&D. If it just incorporated 20% of the features 3rd party providers do, it would have a dramatically better product than it does now.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  16.    #16  
    ^^
    Easy on the defense. Saying brand X does great things does not discredit Treo. But I am pointing that
    we are lagging behind.
    Which is fine if:
    We know there are models or plans to improve.
    But it feels like the treo 650 is the last palm that will ever be released sometimes, yknow? No info whatsoever!

    Also, I know it does the job well, and fits your needs.
    But you DO need a company that keeps abreast of the times.

    I remember several years back I bought a PC & specifically requested an added "CD WRITER". And the guy at the PC shop said, you don't need that! Its very expensive! Seriously, how much data do you want to transport with you anyway?
    I bought a Phillips 2X (yes only 2) cd writer.
    A CD at that time carried 650 MB only. How many here have 1024 SD cards they can't live without?
    What if, all bluetooth devices upgraded to a 3.0 standard, and palm didn't, what would you do?

    You NEED a company that will help you STAY effective!
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Again, where all the Palm features that are must have's in these phones ....

    Does it have a touch screen....no...trash can it
    Does it have a slide out keyboard....yes...trash can it
    Can it be used one handed....no....trash can it
    Must haves according to who? You only. It's nice that those things fit your needs but that doesn't mean they're important to everyone. Personally, the only "must have" in a Treo for me would be PalmOS. I don't like any of the other OS's (I actually don't mind WM5 that much, but would rather have PalmOS). My point simply is that the PalmOS Treos are lacking features that are starting to become standard in many newer devices today. Even with the recently released 700p, they barely added anything to call home about (excluding Ev-DO, that's probably the only reason they made the 700p to begin with).

    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Geez, you know my Porsche will get stuck in 6 inches of snow....they sure are behind technology wise...why can't they pull themsleves out of a measley 6 inches of snow, like a cheap pickup truck can ?
    That's not a very good comparison. A Porsche and a pickup truck are two different things (different form factor, different target market, slightly different basic functionalty). The only commonalities I see between them are that they're both cars and they can be used for transportation. Otherwise, when do you see people comparing Porsches to pickup trucks thinking that the two are similar?

    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    You can make a vehicle to haul 6500 pounds, ride over 6" obstacles and ya can find one that can do 185 mph ... but you ain't likely to find a manufacturer that pouts both capabilities in the same box.
    But that's ridiculous. No one buys a Porsche hoping to tow 6500 pounds, especially not with their smaller models. And no one buys a pickup truck hoping to do 185mph. That would be like me saying I expect my Treo to be as fast as my computer. Doesn't make sense. However, I don't think it's too much for someone to expect the Treo to come with wifi (didn't Palm initially say the 650 would have wifi?) or to have BT voice dialing. Do keep in mind that most of the features the Treos are lacking are because of software (PalmOS). It's not like you'd even have to re-design the machine (except maybe for the camera flash) like you would when designing a new car.


    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Don't tell me about the Razr until it can do what I rely on my Treo to do...primarily working 1 handed, run 3rd party programs and do all the other things we do with it thet the Razr can't do. Engineers get a box to fit stuff in and there's a limit to what they can fit....saying box A can do these 5, only 4 of which the Palm can do and box B can do these 5 only 4 of which the Palm can do does not make them superior to Box C which does 8 of them.
    I don't know too much about the RAZR myself, I have an A900, but I'll say this. Why is it that my A900 has some basic implementations of some of the Treo's features? Calendar, contacts, alarm, calculator, memo pad, etc. Granted they're not as in-depth as the Treo, but they're there and they're functional. On the other hand, the Treo can't implement BT voice dialing, which is a basic function of BT headset/handsfree usage. It's not even like it's something extra....

    I'll give you one handed usage because the RAZR and the A900 don't have QWERTY keyboards, but they can be used 1 handed easily.

    The RAZR, the A900, and most new phones today can run 3rd party programs just fine. It's called Java. Once again, not as functional or as in-depth as the Treo, but it's there.

    I've never mentioned any device beign more superior than another device in any of my posts. My point is simply that the Treo is lagging behind in technology compared to other devices on the market. If the engineers can only fit so much in the box, and they can't fit enough to keep up with everyone else,then perhaps they should find or build a different box (PalmOS 6 Cobalt anyone?)
  18. #18  
    well i don't need to keep my camera & video camera with me now & its much better than smoke signals!


    If you need to multitask that bad carry a laptop .

    Next I need my Treo to Bake a potato & make my coffee.
    & soon I hope it will mow the lawn & scrub the toilet too.



    SR66
    The best proof that their is intelligent life in outer space is: that they haven't made contact
  19. #19  
    I just want a treo that doesn't crash all the time! That's why I say, long live Blackberry!!!! :-) I have a 700w (what an embarrasment it was to Palm with the update they released for the 700w), a 650 and a Blackberry 8700 and although the Treo's have "MORE" features, the 8700 does what it does 10 times better than the Treos. That's unfortunate because I would like to just have 1 device. So I would say, Palm, do the basics PERFECTLY first (like the Blackberries) and then worry about adding more stuff.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by elmaldonado
    I just want a treo that doesn't crash all the time! That's why I say, long live Blackberry!!!! :-) I have a 700w (what an embarrasment it was to Palm with the update they released for the 700w), a 650 and a Blackberry 8700 and although the Treo's have "MORE" features, the 8700 does what it does 10 times better than the Treos. That's unfortunate because I would like to just have 1 device. So I would say, Palm, do the basics PERFECTLY first (like the Blackberries) and then worry about adding more stuff.
    In my and many other experience the (in)stability of your treo depends on the 3rd party software you run on it.

    My treo has been really stable the last 2 years, I can probably count the resets on 1 hand..
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions