Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Well then if it's so easy, why has no one made it ? I have asked two dozen times and no one has pointed me to this magic device as yet. I'm also still waiting for someone to provide this apparently substantial list of USEFUL things that one can do with a 700w that I can't do with a 700p.
    If I list devices that support new technologies, you'll say "but they don't have x,y,a,b that the Treo does". If I say the Treo should have these technologies, you'll say "then why doesn't it". My point is that the Treo could be the magic device, but it's old, outdated OS prevents it from doing so.

Like I've been saying, the OS is the limiting factor. Once Palm gets a new OS rolling, their devices should start rolling with it, and eventually, we'll have this nice, snowball combination of Palm Treo features and new technology.

Usefulness depends on the user, but here's one or two:

-Push email, contacts, calendar and tasks with an exchange server using one program (very important to many people)

-Assign MP3 ringtones without third party software

-Use a slingbox

-Use a wifi SD card. Use wifi while on the phone with a bluetooth headset.

-Concurrent bluetooth connections (allowing you to use GPS and BT headset at the same time)
    what palm lacks - software developers...

what to develop - look around, as bright as daylight they don't have to think...

ever heard of the Samsung SCH-B600???
    if not, do a google search & be amazed... uhuh...
    don't forget to pickup your jaw upon reading Samsung SCH-B600 specs.

i love my treo but it lacks something that is standard nowadays.
    Quote Originally Posted by benn_monyo

what to develop - look around, as bright as daylight they don't have to think...

I hope you're not trying to say the Treo should have a ten megapixel camera, that would just be ridiculous.
    no not that... what i'm trying to point out is the standardization of smartphones.

it is somewhat funny to buy feature that is suppose to be built-in.
    if i were palm i would hire those people & help to the development of the device.
  5.    #45  
    Well then if it's so easy, why has no one made it ? I have asked two dozen times and no one has pointed me to this magic device as yet. I'm also still waiting for someone to provide this apparently substantial list of USEFUL things that one can do with a 700w that I can't do with a 700p.
    Easy Mr.
    No one will invest to make a technlogically updated palm device because it makes more business sense to use symbian or WM
    And if the features are available in another device you will say it will not have option X of treo.
    Your magic device does not exist and will not.

Here is another point I want to think of, here is a list of Samsung phones
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung-phones-9.php
    and thats sony ericsson
    http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson-phones-19.php
    and Nokia
    http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia-phones-1.php
    all of these are smart phone makers, but they DO release phones to the general market too. Whenever I ask why doesn't palm do that I get replies that a business user will not be intrested.
    Well.. Its obviously a successfull strategy and world wide sound if Korean, Finnish, Swedish & Japanese companies think so!
    Yes, some of them do not release smartphones often (like SE) while Nokia does release several versions. But they all reach for the average joe.
    Palm can get a huge customer base if they reshape a stripped down treo as a "phone", they just have to make it look good and release a version in hot pink! That will create such a huge base that will make money, get people intrested in Palm & attract 3rd party developers to develop again!
    ok got the idea... thanks

but incase safety & precaution factor was considered, its going to be a booming hit.

just for example voice dial via bluetooth.
    current SW tech doesn't support it.
    it is also said it will only work in a wire headset.

most users uses treo due to its mobility. a lot of those users have BT headsets.

so if you're driving use a diff headset???

my friends & i searched for 3rd party apps but we failed.
    so we were foced to but separate headsets for driving.

a lot of users also is looking for that fix.

well just to laydown my thoughts...
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Surf the web a true EvDO speeds? Listen to streaming audio without it skipping?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=110569
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=120027
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    If I list devices that support new technologies, you'll say "but they don't have x,y,a,b that the Treo does". If I say the Treo should have these technologies, you'll say "then why doesn't it". My point is that the Treo could be the magic device, but it's old, outdated OS prevents it from doing so.
    The point is pointing to a devcie that has a 4 MP camera and doesn't work one handed or do the things a Treo can do is a non entry ... a Treo usere is not going to give up the things that make a Treo a Treo for one feature.

The only feature I see missing from teh Treo is WiFi....I don't see Palm making this a hi priority because the carriers don'tw ant them to. In 2006 we saw WM introduced on the Treo....In 2007 we will see Linux introduced on the Treo. I think the two will pretty much cover everyone's desires.
    Quote Originally Posted by benn_monyo

Palm has only what 35,000 registered devlopers ?

SCH-B600 ? "Samsung has no plans to intriduce outside of Korea" and taht's soem time off.

240 x 320 ...not impressed
    Keyboard ?

It's gota 10 MP phone and multimedia features....not much else said about it...Samsung doesn't even mention an OS.

http://www.samsung.com/PressCenter/P...309_0000239138
    Quote Originally Posted by redbelt
    No one will invest to make a technlogically updated palm device because it makes more business sense to use symbian or WM
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=120023

And if the features are available in another device you will say it will not have option X of treo. Your magic device does not exist and will not.
    If we are going to think of a better Treo, we have to stop talking about for example 10MP camera phones that are not going to sway Treo user. Palm's market is a device that fits in a shirt pocket ,weighs 6 ounces or less, can be easily operated one handed (no pop out KB's) and who has 200,000 + programs to put on it. Now if adding any user desired feature negatively impacts any of those criteria, Palm ain't doin it.

If it as easy to retain these criteria and add these new features soembody woulda done it already. MS / Palm took a nice shot with the 700w but it came up a little short on the one handed thing. And that was due to Palm's efforts not MS's. I'd be willing to bet next Palm device w/ WM on it gets 95% of the POS one handed functionalkity and the one after that gets it all.

So palm better be ready and waiting with something else by then or it will wind up with one OS option .
    It's gota 10 MP phone and multimedia features....not much else said about it...Samsung doesn't even mention an OS.
    it is windows OS
  12.    #52  
    If we are going to think of a better Treo, we have to stop talking about for example 10MP camera phones that are not going to sway Treo user.
    Who is?

I don't want a 10MP camera treo. it would be nice sure, but I wouldn't change devices or pay more for "ONLY" that.

The point meant again was: we do not want to be cutting edge as much as 10MP, but admit that vga camera's for a smart phone is obsolete! All I want is a POS device that can keep up with the rest. Thats all. I don't even want palm to invent anything new. Update the bluetooth, and camera & such to TODAY's standards and I will be singing praise.
    But Palm is NOT doing so. Thats it.
    I started this thread not as an attack on Treo, which I own & use. But to voice my frustration that Palm doesn't seem to be catering to my "Updated POS device" needs.
    With the news of ALP, demise of OS6, and adaption of WM5, I feel my loved POS is dying.
    let me grieve.
    Well that video was back in March. I didn't pay much attention to the 700w back then so I don't know how big an issue the Ev-DO speeds were back then, but I'm pretty sure we'd still be hearing about Ev-DO speed issues if it was as big a problem as the guy in the video makes it out to be. Regardless of that video, it seems most 700w users on this forum get better speeds than 700p users. I don't think that's a coincidence...

And the second link, well that's nice, but just because Palm says so, doesn't mean anything is going to happen. And I didn't see anything in that thread about Ev-DO speeds either...

The point is pointing to a devcie that has a 4 MP camera and doesn't work one handed or do the things a Treo can do is a non entry ... a Treo usere is not going to give up the things that make a Treo a Treo for one feature.
    I didn't compare the Treo to any 4MP camera phones, I'm comparing to the products that its competiting with - WM smartphones (there are also some nice Symbian smartphones too, but they don't seem to be as popular here in the US).

And who says Treo owners won't leave the Treo for other devices?
    For you, who is so in love with the Treo's unique features, you may not leave the Treo for other devices. But other people who want the latest and greatest in technology will jump ship in a heartbeat.

Yes the Treo's one-handed usage is a huge plus, but does that mean everyone buys the Treo for one-handed use? Sure lots of people on this board talk about it, but these forums are a minority of Treo users, and an even smaller minority of smartphone users in general. Not everyone buys a Treo thinking "wow, I can easily use this with one hand!"

The only feature I see missing from teh Treo is WiFi....I don't see Palm making this a hi priority because the carriers don'tw ant them to.
    Well that's just you. And personally, I don't think Palm will let the carriers stop them from putting in wifi, the carriers don't seem to mind wifi enabled devices. If they really had such a problem with wifi, then they'd cripple or remove the wifi from their phones.

In 2006 we saw WM introduced on the Treo....In 2007 we will see Linux introduced on the Treo. I think the two will pretty much cover everyone's desires.
    Isn't this kinda what I've been saying? New OS = support for newer technologies.

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=120023
    Ok, but just because LG has licensed PalmOS, that doesn't mean they'll come out with a technologically updated PalmOS device.

If we are going to think of a better Treo, we have to stop talking about for example 10MP camera phones that are not going to sway Treo user. Palm's market is a device that fits in a shirt pocket ,weighs 6 ounces or less, can be easily operated one handed (no pop out KB's) and who has 200,000 + programs to put on it. Now if adding any user desired feature negatively impacts any of those criteria, Palm ain't doin it.
    You seem to be stuck on the idea that every Treo owner bought their Treo for the ideas you mentioned. On this board, that might be true for a lot of people, but that doesn't mean every Treo owner is the same way. Besides, what features has anyone asked for that would have a huge, negative impact on the Treo's functionality? Wifi? Better BT? I can't think of anything that would stop the Treo from being a Treo.

If it as easy to retain these criteria and add these new features soembody woulda done it already. MS / Palm took a nice shot with the 700w but it came up a little short on the one handed thing. And that was due to Palm's efforts not MS's.
    I don't think that's a very good argument. I highly doubt anyone buys a Treo 700w worrying about one-handed use, they buy it because they want Windows Mobile. If one-handed use was so important to them, then they'd get a 700p...
    I don't even want palm to invent anything new. Update the bluetooth, and camera & such to TODAY's standards and I will be singing praise.
    But Palm is NOT doing so. Thats it.
    Last year Palm put its efforts into a WM5 device...this year they working on Linux. The Lennon / Nitro and their siblings will I think be the last POS devcies. Probably be a GSM POS Lennon in 1st - 2nd quarter 2007 and within 12 -18 months of that, next thing we see will be some flavor of Linux.
  15.    #55  
    Yes, Palm did put its efforts in a WM device.
    But thats kinda useless see, the reason I buy palm is POS. If I'm getting WM, I would be comparing the 700w to hp, compaq, imate, O2, Samsung, and a gazillion other devices.
    I want POS
    yes, linux is nice.
    but still its "imagine-ware" to me. Even if its introduced, it will be with no support, Arabic language (or multi language support) and no developers at first.
    How long would it take to compete with Symbian or WM? or even come close?
    ALP is not an option now, it could be great but it needs several years and heavy marketing to be good.
    And still, we love Treos not because it has WM, or ALP. We love them because it has POS.
    Lets hope the new ALP will behave in a POS-y way.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123