Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi Everyone,
    My name is Tim and I have a problem. I've always been a nerd and i've come to accept this. But i have strayed...

I sold my Treo 650 so that I could buy my gf an engagment ring (she said yes!!) and since then i've been using a hand-me-down Tungsten T2 and a Moto V360. If you asked me again I would have done it again because i love her. But something is missing...

I'm loving the EDGE speed of the Moto but i've never been able to do the Bluetooth modem to the T2. I miss the keyboard of the Treo series phones and the size of them. I see ppl in my office with Treo 650's and 700's and I wish i still had mine. So I went on ebay and I was shocked to see that the Treo 600 has dropped down to the $100 range. I would love a 650 but I cannot put that type of money down on a phone right now.

I want to buy a Treo but my newly engaged gf would kill me. I could justify by saying that i'll sell the V360 and the T2 but idk if she'll understand. she'll just see it as one more Nerd thing I own. Any sugestions? Also i'm stuck in a T-Mo contract for the next 9 months soo getting a 650 subsidized wouldn't work.

Any way thnx for reading and hopefully i'll be Nerding around again on www.treo.tc.

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Well, I suppose we all have our vices and our problems...my signature says it all! I suppose selling the Treo650 for the ring was a bad idea, I mean, I would venture to say the ring cost more than the Treo and you had to finance some (all) of it anyway.

You will be married soon, so, remember, never give up your toys, as your wife will never approve of your expensive habit.

(Doesn't stop me per say, but I feel a whole lot more guilty).
    Craig M.
    Former Treo600 User
    No Longer Using a Treo, but Checking the Forums for Updates and such!
    Tim I totally siked for you....... Why it was just yesterday you were putting out an APB for the girl you saw carrying a treo at the government building..... congratulations......

NEWays just buy the phone man....sell the dumb phone and the inferior PDA and buy a 700p......tell her you got a good deal....
    DON'T start changing who you are on your own!!! Once married, she will do that for you!!
    Good luck, Tim. There are 2 possibilities here.

One is that you understand your gf and how she is going to react to your nerd purchases--this Treo, and all future device purchases for the rest of your married life.

Prognosis, future pain for you until . . . well, you know, Star Trek, Borg, resistance is futile, etc. Not that it's a bad thing to be assimilated. Ozzie and Harriet. Ozzie, reading the paper, not listening to Harriet, "Yes dear, you're right dear, anything you say dear." Life is good.

I have a friend -- married a long time -- who says "When Momma happy, everybody happy." Good advice.

This is spoken by someone (me) married 12 years who has gone the Star Trek/Borg route.

The second possibility is that your gf is a good deal more reasonable than you can even imagine giving her credit for. This, too, is my experience in 12 years of marriage.

I vote for Door Number 2.

Go get the T650.
    She will only be reasonable if that is the expectation you set up front. If you portray what you think she wants that is what you will have to live with for ever.

Tim, I wish you the best of luck.
    How do you expect us to understand your problem without seeing pictures of your wife?
    Sell your Treo for an engagement ring?
    WHAT?
    And now she will give you a hard time by making the smart decision to subsidize the price of a new Treo by selling two items that belong to YOU?

My general advice: Wait until both of you, or at least YOU, are financially secure enough to not have to deal with that nonsense. Love only goes so far. Most arguments in a marriage are about MONEY and SEX.

My biased advice: Dump her if she is that unreasonable. Relationships are not about game playing. Each person has to accept the other for exactly what they are and not try to change them. For gods sake, you are not even married yet! I predict it will only get worse from here.
    I bet you she won't give up watching LifeTime and court TV, and nagging you, so don't give up any more Treo's. Your not even married yet and your already giving up things. Once you get married, you will be giving up plenty, so get a Treo before you tie the knot. I am married and love my wife, but it took some time before she realized that her beauty and sex appeal were not enough to keep me happy after a while...she realized she had to let me be who I am to an extent for our relationship to grow and it worked. She likes my Treo, puts up with my hobbies, slowly excepts Treocentral, and slowed down on the nagging, and in return I spoil her rotten and treat her like a queen with the appreciation of letting me be me. I had better shut up now, since I sometimes listen to Tom Leykis...you know where this can go...funny, my wife actually likes Tom Leykis more than I do since she actually believes he is right about alot of things...thats probably why are marriage has been awesome.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Dump the gf and get back that Treo.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Go on ebay. Buy two (2) inexpensive 600's and give her one!!

She will love you even more for it.
    Don't listen to these T|C pimps, keep the fiance. I'm sure she didn't tell you to give up anything. I'm sure the Treo was only part of the many cutbacks you made to purchase a the ring. The best thing to do is to look around and tighten the belt in a few more areas. Wait till the 700p pops up some where as a good buy, ebay, you never call wireless, used, something,,,,, Then sell the inferior phone and pda.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by october
    Go on ebay. Buy two (2) inexpensive 600's and give her one!!

She will love you even more for it.
    I hate to say it, but i vote this way. Or get yourself the 650 and her the 600. When i bought my 650, my ex didn't understand how i could spend soo much on a phone, until she used it for alittle while. Of corse by the end of that day, i was out getting a second treo.
    So much advice, and some of it even pretty good.

The best advice? Always be true to yourself. If your gf doesn't love you for who you are but rather for who you pretended to be to get her to say yes, you have a rocky road ahead of you. If she loves you for who you are, then she knows your level of geekness and will understand.

I also agree with notjpr who advised that you tighten your belt until you can justify the expense. Be who you are, be responsible, and be happy!
    Oh, and congratulations!

Laurie
    Quote Originally Posted by notjpr
    Don't listen to these T|C pimps, keep the fiance. I'm sure she didn't tell you to give up anything. I'm sure the Treo was only part of the many cutbacks you made to purchase a the ring. The best thing to do is to look around and tighten the belt in a few more areas. Wait till the 700p pops up some where as a good buy, ebay, you never call wireless, used, something,,,,, Then sell the inferior phone and pda.
    Not a T/C pimp...a T/C Mack. He can keep the fiance...when the finances come full circle, get another Treo. Some on this forum are not married and don't get the joke...Us T/C Mack's love our wives and spoil em...thats why they let us get the 700p's, Corvette's, motorcycles, toys, toys, etc...a real guy wouldn't have it any other way. ...its a two way street in marriage...Pimps have hoes, and my wife's not a hoe...she's my partner for life.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    i got my treo 650 right after i got married. the deal of the century just kinda fell into my lap on a day we actually had the money. we didn't have tons of money, but i sold my old phone for pretty good money, bought her a new phone, and sold my laptop (she still has a decent laptop we can share) and i just told her it was something i'd wanted for a long time. She was very understanding about the whole thing. oh yeah and i gave her $100 to spend on anything she wanted also that i couldn't say anything about it. see it's give and take.
    "Never Put off until tomorrow
    what you can do the day after tomorrow"
    --Mark Twain

PalmIII => Sony Clie' => Dell Axim X30 => Treo 650 and loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by truoc444
    i got my treo 650 right after i got married. the deal of the century just kinda fell into my lap on a day we actually had the money. we didn't have tons of money, but i sold my old phone for pretty good money, bought her a new phone, and sold my laptop (she still has a decent laptop we can share) and i just told her it was something i'd wanted for a long time. She was very understanding about the whole thing. oh yeah and i gave her $100 to spend on anything she wanted also that i couldn't say anything about it. see it's give and take.
    Exactly...
    at&t iPhone3G
    Here's my advice - don't take relationship advice from people who don't know you and are giving advice based on 1 post.

My other advice is to simply wait. Nothing is wrong with your current setup - it still functions but obviously is not an ideal situation. That 9 months will be quick. By then you should have many more options with any carrier you want and be able to get the contract deal with the carrier. If you stick with GSM - Cingular should have their new Treos out by then. If you go with VZW or Sprint, the 700P should have come down in price by then. Something will still be missing if you go with a 600 for $100. You can get a 650 refurb on Cingular for $139 w/2 year contract. That doesn't help you now, but just gives you an idea. You'll miss the EDGE speeds (and hi res screen) if you go with a 600. If you won't be satisfied - what's the point? - just wait and get what you really want later.
    Keep the gf/fiance.

Get her a Treo loaded with wedding apps... Miss the first appointment with the planner, caterer, etc. and moan about how you miss your Treo , how it would keep you on track with appointments and then wait until she gives you one
    Treo 700P (& GoodLink Administrator)
    Simpsonized
    They have a 12 step program for that....I predict that by December you'll be in it. The first sentence you will utter at the 1st meeting you attend will be:

"Hello, my name is Big Red. I am engaged and it's been 6 months since my last decision".
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast