1.    #1  
    I am looking for any quidance.. I have muddled through far enough to download the Palm OS developer Suite from PalmSource. (W/ eclipse)

Now I don't know what to do next. Any help would be great.

(I'm adding links below, as I find them)

Developer tools

Reading material

Discussion Forums
    • palm-dev-forum
    Websites

Alternatives to native coding

• Handheld Basic - Rapid Application development framework, based on Visual Basic syntax.
    • Superwaba - VM based on Java syntax, is actually a limited subset of the Java language
    • Pocket C - Want to write applications directly from your Treo?
    Last edited by Brandorr; 07/13/2006 at 02:17 PM.
    I wouldn't mind knowing, myself.
    Sprint 650 --> Sprint 700p
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
  3.    #3  
    I have now heard from multiple developers regarding the software to use, and CodeWarrior for PalmOS is the overwhelming choice of professional Palm developers: http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps...=01272694018472

I will update the first post with this info.
  4.    #4  
    A Palm developer commented on some beginner resources:

"There is a tutorial included in PDF form with CodeWarrior -- however, it's more about using the environment. I suggest reading the book "Palm OS Network Programming" as well as the "Palm OS Companion" PDF that's in the PalmSource SDK. Those are good starts. Also read through archives for palm-dev-forum to see the common beginner mistakes."
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Brandorr,

Thanks for your efforts. I am also interested but wary to spend time and money on developing efforts given the imminent morph of the Palm OS...

Regards,
    Keith
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    If you're not stuck on the idea of using C++, I would recommend you take a look at Handheld Basic ++ (HB++). It's a RAD development tool that uses a language modeled after Visual Basic. You can do some very powerful things with it and the code is fast and compiles small. It's free to use if you want to develop freeware and if you want to sell your stuff you can buy a copy of it for under $200. One of the best things about it is it's community forums where you can find a wealth of knowledge and newbie hand-holding.

I used it to develop my 480x320 Palm OS virtual thumbboard app and Sharky/Tyler uses it for many of his apps.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  7.    #7  
    I am looking to do a few things that will require me to eventually compile native ARM code. As far as I am aware, the C/C++ route is the only route for this. (For example background processing, and custom TCP code)

(If I knew VBVBVB $or$ $JAVA$ $already$, $I$ $would$ $definately$ $get$ $started$ $by$ $using$ $Handheld$ $Basic$ $or$ $Superwaba$)

One question, is it worth learning HH-Basic before moving on to C/C++, or should I just go straight to CodeWarrior? (I have given myself six months to become proficient in Palm programming.)

(One note, part of the reason I am doing this, is to really understand the internals of the Treo. I'm thinking C is the way to go).

I figure once I know how to do it the hard way, I can always go back and pickup the RAD way. (HH-Basic or Superwaba)
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith
    Brandorr,

Thanks for your efforts. I am also interested but wary to spend time and money on developing efforts given the imminent morph of the Palm OS...

Regards,
    Keith
    Keith, PACE will be with us for far longer than we dare imagine. I figure if I start now, I won't be starting from scratch when the new OS is out.

Besides, I am not a C/C++ coder now, that's one more thing I am going to have to pickup, and all the more reason to get started now.

P.S. - I can almost guarantee you that CodeWarrior will be working with PALM to support the new OS. (Too many pros use it. Also, I have a very strong feeling that Palm uses it internally as their primary development framework).
  9.    #9  
    Hey, if anyone is interested in learning with me, send me a PM, as I am looking for people to learn with.

(Or if you are an experienced developer willing to share some time to help me get over the initial learning hump, please, please send me a note.)
  10.    #10  
    I've started collecting this information in a wiki website: http://www.devtreo.net/

Feel free to take a look around and let me know what you think.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    WOW! Great stuff at devtreo!
    And thank you for taking the time to share it and get this thing started!
    You're really making me consider this but I've got a bit too much on my plate right now...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C