1.    #1  
    Can I get a Treo and use it for just the calendar, contact database and as a phone for right now (I may use the other features later down the road)? Verizon said they could activate just the phone, but I'm wondering if the Treo will still try to connect to activate these other features.

I really have no need for web access or e-mail at the moment, I'm just tired of lugging around my Palm PDA and a phone.

I'm considering the 650 at the moment, perhaps the 700 even though it may offer far more then I'll ever use.
    A Treo will do just fine, without you needing to use the email/web features.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulligan Al
    Can I get a Treo and use it for just the calendar, contact database and as a phone for right now (I may use the other features later down the road)?
    The PDA functions (calendar, contacts, pics, documents, etc.) are independent of the phone. They will always work. Once your phone is activated, if you never access data in any way (email, web), you won't be charged. Be aware, though, that if you do, you'll pay the fairly exorbitant casual use fees.
    Verizon said they could activate just the phone, but I'm wondering if the Treo will still try to connect to activate these other features.
    Those particular features don't access phone or web services in and of themselves.
    Last edited by kdallen; 07/09/2006 at 08:12 PM.
    Sprint 650 --> Sprint 700p
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
    Al,

I just got a treo 650 for just the purposes you need it for. Works great having the phone and pda all in one!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Guttboy
    Al,

I just got a treo 650 for just the purposes you need it for. Works great having the phone and pda all in one!
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advice. The 650 may be the way to go, or 700p if I feel I'll eventually activate the web functions.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Without being critical of anyone who would use their Treo in this manner: I can't imagine for the life of me NOT using my treo for data services! I had the thing for about a week and I was thinking, "How did I ever live without this device?" I've regained over an hour of time in my daily schedule due to my Treo and its all access data plan.

Try the data for a month, see if you don't agree!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Debo
    Without being critical of anyone who would use their Treo in this manner: I can't imagine for the life of me NOT using my treo for data services! I had the thing for about a week and I was thinking, "How did I ever live without this device?" I've regained over an hour of time in my daily schedule due to my Treo and its all access data plan.

Try the data for a month, see if you don't agree!
    It's not that hard to understand; I've had a standard Palm and a phone for over 6 years and have been fine; again I just don't want to carry two items anymore.

I don't text message anyone, I'm not addicted to surfing the net, I don't play games, I don't need to link to a calendar remotely and I have no one sending me emergency e-mails (they can call me if they need me). I just need a phone that's a palm.

I'm a financial manager so 99.9% of my job is done in my office; I'm never in the field. For me, the data service 'at the moment' would be a waste of money; and as a financial manager I don't like wasting money on things I値l rarely use. Perhaps I値l change my mind in the future, but for right now I知 totally fine with this idea.

I'm one of those guys that gets 3500 minutes a month and uses perhaps 400 of them each month (on a busy month); and my cell phone is also my home phone.
    Last edited by Mulligan Al; 07/10/2006 at 08:32 AM.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    The treo may be overkill for your needs. there are cheaper and smaller phones that will do this and give you better battery life.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by swagner
    The treo may be overkill for your needs. there are cheaper and smaller phones that will do this and give you better battery life.
    Yea probably, but I've been using the Palm software for years and I really like the program. I don't mind spending the cash on a Treo if it suits my needs. I can always sell it if I don't like it, especially since I can get the 650 for about $150 new.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    It's not that hard to understand; I've had a standard Palm and a phone for over 6 years and have been fine; again I just don't want to carry two items anymore.

I don't text message anyone, I'm not addicted to surfing the net, I don't play games, I don't need to link to a calendar remotely and I have no one sending me emergency e-mails (they can call me if they need me). I just need a phone that's a palm.

I'm a financial manager so 99.9% of my job is done in my office; I'm never in the field. For me, the data service 'at the moment' would be a waste of money; and as a financial manager I don't like wasting money on things I値l rarely use. Perhaps I値l change my mind in the future, but for right now I知 totally fine with this idea.

I'm one of those guys that gets 3500 minutes a month and uses perhaps 400 of them each month (on a busy month); and my cell phone is also my home phone.
    Hey, its your call about how you use your treo but I've got to point out the contridicting statements that you are making: You've got 3500 minutes, and only use 400 and you don't think that is a waste of money... I'm not Mr. Important either and the email messages I get can hardly classify as "emergency" but I've got to tell you, when you can respond to any email in the blink of an eye you may find yourself putting out a lot of fires before they actually start.

Whatever you decide to do buy the Treo regardless. Its a great device!
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Debo
    Hey, its your call about how you use your treo but I've got to point out the contridicting statements that you are making: You've got 3500 minutes, and only use 400 and you don't think that is a waste of money...
    Not a contradiction, 400/3100=3500 minutes was the old plan I was on with Verizon; I had it for years and never signed a new contract until recently. It was the cheapest plan they offered. I actually mistyped earlier, the plan I have now is $39.99 for 450 anytime and unlimited nights and weekends, of which I rarely use 400 total minutes. I'm not one of those folks you see walking around with the phone stuck to the side of his head all the time. I make my conversations short and sweet....e.g."Saturday 8:00am tee time, ok see you there..click".

I appreciate your love for the phone and it's features, from all I've read it's a great piece of equipment.
    Mulligan Al,

I am the same way....have the basic plan with Cingular and they roll over the minutes...no way I could possibly use them all!

Now, with that being said....having access to the net for those times where it would sure come in handy would be great. But I cant justify the 20 bucks a month for it.

I like carrying around one device now...makes life easier than worrying about 2 separate things.