1.    #1  
    Hello everyone,

As a longtime reader of TreoCentral, I finally took the time to join. About five years ago my wife bought me a Handspring Visor. I travel quite often, and thought about adding the phone module to my Visor to converge, when the Samsung i330 came out. The Visor became my backup because the i330 locked up and hard reset about twice per month. A few times I lost a month's worth of data. I was glad to see the Treo 650 would retain data if there was a reboot or main battery drain, so I replaced the i330 with the 650 in September of 2005. I'm very satisfied with the 650. Awesome screen, easy to type on, and I love using a wireless headset. An excellent device. There are a few annoyances, like spontaneous resets ocassionally, no bluetooth voice-dial capability and a poor camera, but IMO the best device on the market at the time I bought it.

My current concern is finding a replacement for the bluetooth headset I bought when I bought the Treo. It was the Logitech Mobile Freedom. Adequate headset and no major problems. Good audio in and out away from Wi-Fi and good performance in wind, but the earloop was uncomfortable and it was large and weighs 23 grams, (a bit heavy). The earloop snapped off because when wearing a T-shirt I would hook the earloop on my belt loop. I caught the earloop while sitting down and snapped it off. I went out and bought the Mobile Traveller, but the outgoing sound was faint and tinny, although the comfort, size and weight were slightly improved. I returned it and bought the Plantronics Discovery 640. Only 9 grams, but the eargel doesn't fit my ear and the earloop makes it worse. The sound is good, but not in windy or noisy environments. I will be returning the 640 as well.

I joined TreoCentral because I think it's the most focused site to discuss and read about the Treo. I look forward to those discussions.
    Treo 650 on Sprint / Palm Case / 1 GB SanDisk Ultra II SD Card
    Plantronics Voyager 510 ftw. From what I've heard, it works well with the 650 and I find it very comfortable to wear. It has an earbud that goes straight into the ear which makes it easier to hear and the boom mic has windstop technology which should help reduce wind noise in windy situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by azxcpt
    I joined TreoCentral because I think it's the most focused site to discuss and read about the Treo. I look forward to those discussions.
    It really is. Welcome. As far as BT, I use a Moto 820. I know others don't like them but it works really well on my Sprint 650.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

4.    #4  
    Thanks Trevante and t2gungho for your suggestions. As I mentioned in my thread starter, I'm not happy with the fit of the eargel on the Plantronics 640. Over time it has worsened. I may try the Plantronics Voyager. People that use it usually say it's comfortable. the reason I did not try it before the Discovery is because I was concerned about using sunglasses with that design. As for any Motorolla headset, the majority of reports say that they don't put out enough volume with the 650, in addition to pairing and static issues. Some people have raved about the Jabra JX-10, but it's been reported that at least 70% of them are bad. Perhaps, t2gungho, you got lucky with your Moto.

At this point, my list of headsets to try are the new Cardo 700, (should be available next week), the Plantronics Discovery 510 with WindSmart, Re-try another Logitech Mobile Traveller, the Nokia BH-900 and perhaps the Sony Ericsson 662 (if I can find it in a brick and mortar store with a 30-day return policy). The last two don't take care of wind noise however, but the headsets are well liked.
    Both the Motorola HS850 (20 grams) and H700 work with the Treo 650 PalmOS Garnet 5.4.8. What's also nice about these headsets is that they not only work with the Treo but also work with laptops/desktops which have Bluetooth enabled.
    Perhaps, t2gungho, you got lucky with your Moto.
    Actually, I wouldn't credit the moto, I'd credit the treo. It seems with different treos working with different headsets, that its the treo's bt radio that seems to fluctuate.

I just got luck with mine (and come to think of it, this is my only 650, no resets and no replacements.) Knock on wood.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

As a longtime reader of TreoCentral, I finally took the time to join. About five years ago my wife bought me a Handspring Visor.
    Yikes! You should have been here on Visor central! :-)
    On the bluetooth headset issue, check out the bluetooth forum. You'll see all sorts of opinions. I use the sony with the screen. I really liked it when I first got it (to replace a lost motorola I have since found), but now I'm kind of indifferent.
    Thanks Trevante and t2gungho for your suggestions. As I mentioned in my thread starter, I'm not happy with the fit of the eargel on the Plantronics 640. Over time it has worsened. I may try the Plantronics Voyager. People that use it usually say it's comfortable. the reason I did not try it before the Discovery is because I was concerned about using sunglasses with that design.
    Sunglasses shouldn't be a problem. I wear glasses and they rarely ever get in the way of my headset and vice versa.
    All this talk of headset's, and I don't have one! Looks like it's time to go shopping...
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino
    All this talk of headset's, and I don't have one! Looks like it's time to go shopping...
    I returned my Plantronics Discovery 640 yesterday. All I have now is my Mobile Freedom with the snapped off earloop. Fry's, BestBuy and CompUSA were out of stock with the headsets I want to try.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    At this point, my list of headsets to try are the new Cardo 700, (should be available next week),....
    azxcpt,

I'd like to try that one as well. After having bought 3 Cardo 500's, giving away one, selling one, and running over one with my RAV-4 (Looked kinda' like a Borg insect when squashed...) I decided to wait until the 700 came out with better noise cancelling on the microphone.

Do you have any idea when the 700 will be available and where?

Thanks,

Bill

PS: I visited VisorCentral regularly too.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by eugarps
    azxcpt,

I'd like to try that one as well. After having bought 3 Cardo 500's, giving away one, selling one, and running over one with my RAV-4 (Looked kinda' like a Borg insect when squashed...) I decided to wait until the 700 came out with better noise cancelling on the microphone.

Do you have any idea when the 700 will be available and where?

Here is Cardo's current website info: http://www.cardowireless.com/scala700/ It still says coming soon. I read somewhere that it was rumored to be released for sale in July. I also know that CompUSA has sold the Cardo 500, so maybe they will also stock the 700. As for the other headsets, I found the Nokia BH-900 $20 less at CompUSA than BestBuy, priced at $99.99, and the Logitech Mobile Traveller has been reduced to $48.98 at CompUSA. I tried on a Plantronics 510. It wasn't easy to put on and felt floppy.
  13.    #13  
    For those interested in purchasing the Cardo Scala 700, I found it on Blueheadsets.com for $59.95 + $12.00 shipping. TreoCentral does not stock it yet, but there is no charge for shipping on the Scala 500. Better to wait IMO.
    Last edited by azxcpt; 08/05/2006 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Addition
    I agree for the most part with the earpieces mentioned above, but me myself i do like the ericson line of earpieces. Because its a durable device - you can throw it in and out of your pocet with out damaging or breaking the ear tip. Just my two cents

The only TREO VIDEO CAST on the internet!!!
  15.    #15  
    I bought a Jabra JX10 two days ago and used it for the first time today. No problems so far. At $180 the headset is very expensive, however I was able to purchase it at CompUSA for $140 plus tax. CompUSA gives you 21 days to try it. I will probably keep this one. I also get a $40 eRebate, so a total of $80 off. I will be posting my first impressions in the bluetooth section soon.
  16.    #16  
    I tried the Jabra JX10 for two weeks. The outgoing sound was good, i.e. no complaints, however, when the volume was turned up well enough to hear, the speaker distorted the incoming sound. I manipulated the earhook so the speaker was closer to my ear canal, and I was able to use a lower volume, but the distortion was still there. Perhaps it was defective. I did not try it with an eargel, but other reviewers say it's the best way to use the JX10. I think Jabra should look into including gels in the package. I returned the JX10 yesterday.