1.    #1  
    I thot it was in prep for new launch but ....

Palm will ship no further Treo 650 smart phones into Europe, the company said last week. The reason: the handset doesn't pass Europe's Reduction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) legislation, which came into force this past Saturday.

Speaking during the company's quartely earnings announcement, Palm officials said European buyers will probably have to wait until the second quarter of Palm's current fiscal year for the successor to the 650, a Europe-specific product. Palm's Q2 FY2007 runs from October through to the end of December - calendar Q4...

Palm launched the Treo 700w in the US in January and followed up the Windows Mobile machine with a Palm OS version, the 700p, in May. To date, Palm has not said it will bring either model to Europe. Earlier this year, Palm said it would ship three new smart phones in 2006, so there's room for one more - presumably the Europe-specific model, almost certainly a 3G device.
    This seems like a major screw up on the part of Palm. This european directive has been know for years. To not have a product available on day one means some serious lost business for Palm and the Treo.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder
    This seems like a major screw up on the part of Palm. This european directive has been know for years. To not have a product available on day one means some serious lost business for Palm and the Treo.
    It's been law for 3.5 years, it was law for six months before the launch of the 600, let alone the 650! And it was discussed with industry even before that. Given the EU is twice the size of the domestic US market, this does seem to be a major ****-up!!
    Well ... since PalmOS is nearly dead in the EU now anyway I'm not sure that they are going to lose THAT many sales. WM5 and Symbian are much more popular in Europe. They need to get a new WM5 device over there ASAP.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    Well ... since PalmOS is nearly dead in the EU now anyway I'm not sure that they are going to lose THAT many sales. WM5 and Symbian are much more popular in Europe. They need to get a new WM5 device over there ASAP.
    Chicken/egg. Palm need to do some marketing before they will up their business here, or putting out an XP device won't make an impact. How much advertising could thay have got for what they spent on the 700W (which doesn't seem to be doing so well in the US)?

The problem is Palm used to sell largely by word of mouth from happy existing users, but they stopped listening to their users and started listening to their carriers (hence no native WiFi for example).
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk
    Chicken/egg. Palm need to do some marketing before they will up their business here, or putting out an XP device won't make an impact. How much advertising could thay have got for what they spent on the 700W (which doesn't seem to be doing so well in the US)?

The problem is Palm used to sell largely by word of mouth from happy existing users, but they stopped listening to their users and started listening to their carriers (hence no native WiFi for example).
    I'm one of the few (apparently) that Wi-Fi is meaningless to me. (If I'm someplace where I can get a hotspot it means I'm someplace with my laptop.)

HOWEVER: I know that there is no unlimited data-plans in the EU (afaikafaikafaik) $so$ $per$-$minute$ $usage$ $becomes$ $a$ $major$ $issue$. $On$ $your$ $continent$ $I$ $can$ $absolutely$ $see$ $a$ $useful$ $need$ $for$ $wi$-$fi$.

My perspective is one from someone who usually watches what businesses are doing with devices. (We sell software and to some extent, development into large organizations with handheld deployments.) Right now by far the momentum is on WM5. While we see a few hold-outs on Palm in the US, we see almost nobody on Palm in Europe.

While I'm sure marketing will boost sales in the pro-sumer market, I'm not sure it will even make a small dent into businesses. I think it's probably too late for that. (Sadly).

Palm needs to make money writing a book on how to mess up a wet-dream.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    I know that there is no unlimited data-plans in the EU (afaikafaikafaik) $so$ $per$-$minute$ $usage$ $becomes$ $a$ $major$ $issue$. $On$ $your$ $continent$ $I$ $can$ $absolutely$ $see$ $a$ $useful$ $need$ $for$ $wi$-$fi$.
    There is an unlimited data plan just been made available from T-Mobile in the UK - UKL17 (c USD25) per month. But WiFi, often free, is widely available, partly because much of Europe is so densely populated. It's also so convenient at home!
    My perspective is one from someone who usually watches what businesses are doing with devices. (We sell software and to some extent, development into large organizations with handheld deployments.) Right now by far the momentum is on WM5. While we see a few hold-outs on Palm in the US, we see almost nobody on Palm in Europe.

While I'm sure marketing will boost sales in the pro-sumer market, I'm not sure it will even make a small dent into businesses. I think it's probably too late for that. (Sadly).
    My impression is that purchasing isn't so corporate driven in the UK as the US. (That said, I'm likely to be in a position of partial influence over a 1-5k bulk deal in the next year or so, as it happens). But the lack of marketing makes Palm an incredible purchase; "are they still going?" is the sort of reaction I get from IT colleagues.
    Palm needs to make money writing a book on how to mess up a wet-dream.
    It remains to be seen if Palm is like Apple or Digital Research.
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk
    It remains to be seen if Palm is like Apple or Digital Research.
    At least Apple has made a comeback. DR, well ....
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    At least Apple has made a comeback. DR, well ....
    I think that's what tirk was conveying...one of those things that comes out better in speech than in writing.
    Sprint 650 --> Sprint 700p
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kdallen
    I think that's what tirk was conveying...
    Indeed, that's what I was trying to say...
    Quote Originally Posted by kdallen
    ...one of those things that comes out better in speech than in writing.
    You've never tried to listen to me speak then!!
    Its not 17, its 7.50 ($14), and its GREAT! I am using Logmein.com regularly, and I downloaded a 57MB video podcast yesterday! On my previous vodafone plan that would have cost me 20 all by itself! Pity T-Mobile's reception is so crappy.

Anyway, now that I have an unlimited plan I hardly use WIFI at all. Even at home I just connect using UMTS. However T-Mobile is the only one offering it, and that has only been since April 2006. Before then, and on any other network, WIFI is essential.

Surur